Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4355 variant

4355 variant

Here is a shot of a 4355 variant that I have been putting together. I have always lusted after Ken's Westlakes but could never afford the price. If they sound bad, I will part them out and make a tree house out of the cabinet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Woody: OUT-----STANDING. Just logged on and saw your post. I saw your drawing some time back but they always look better in real life. I like the powerful vertical grain pattern on the baffle. As you now know, doing a veneered baffle really adds a lot of time to the project - but the results on your end appear to be worth the effort. I'm sure I'll do another one sometime too.

Waiting for pics of the finished project - Rick

Very Nice! Make sure you hang them upside down

Nice!! You using the Smith Horn/2397??

Rob

Nice

Woody,
    I'm looking forward to more info on this project. keep us posted . What are you using for a Xover ? I can get an eastlake design to clone , but westlake is another matter.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Nice!! You using the Smith Horn/2397??

Rob
    I will be using the Smith horns I built out of 1.5" jotoba.
    The crossovers are thanks to Giskard's schematic that he posted and the cabinets were built using Rick Riessen's posted plans. Thanks guys!

Looking great. Keep the pictures and impressions coming.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

It appears that the 4355's variants and everything else I own will soon be offered for sale. I will post progress photos later this week. The Hartsfields clones, the L300 clones the granite covered surround system (4702X), crossovers, compression drivers etc. etc. I hope to generate a complete list with photos. It looks like the Hartsfields will be the first to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Banks View Post
    It appears that the 4355's variants and everything else I own will soon be offered for sale. I will post progress photos later this week. The Hartsfields clones, the L300 clones the granite covered surround system (4702X), crossovers, compression drivers etc. etc. I hope to generate a complete list with photos. It looks like the Hartsfields will be the first to go.
    Hello Woody,

I hope everything is or will be OK for you and it is not a reluctant/forced sale. Best of Luck
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Banks View Post

Ditto, sorry to hear that and hope everything is OK. Where in Oregon are you located as I have family in Portland and a number of audiophile friends in the area who might be interested. Will the cabs go empty or populated with parts and drivers?

Hope we can help.

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

The 4355 variants will be loaded this week with two new in the box 2235H's and two more in MINT condiotion. The 12" drivers are both new ME120HS's also used in the S2600 system. The Smith horns are constructed of 1.75" Jotoba and are heavy as hell. The 2441's both have 2440 diaphragms for what ever reason. The tweeters are new 2405H's or I may decide to use a pair of 077's I just rebuilt. The crossovers are Giskard's design using premium components. The grill cloth is the OEM "Blue" thanks to a good friend of mine.
    To power this pile of speakers I have available a Quicksilver preamp, a Bryston 3B NPB and and old Harmon Kardon Citation 16. The active crossover is the Ashly XR1001. Photos will be forthcoming. I will be happy to arrange an audition with any interested folks after the Holiday rush.

Regards
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Alesi View Post
    Hello Woody,

I hope everything is or will be OK for you and it is not a reluctant/forced sale. Best of Luck
    DITTO

Rich

Here are a few photos of some of the components .

Horny

After a few hours of effort I managed to squeeze the horns into place. I moved the operation from my 40 degree shop to the heated rec. room. A few more coats of Watco are still in order.

I finally got around to loading the drivers in the cabinets. I have the grills built for the top but I think I will not install them for now. The L pads are mounted inside. You need to reach through the port to make adjustments. The fabric looks black but it is the OEM blue color.

Thread Information