Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medium to large bookshelf-size recommendations?

I would look into a pair of Merlin MM or MX depending on your budget. They can be found for good prices on audiogon and they are excellent bookshelves, no expense spared. Built like a tank. I love them and will get them again if i ever get a bookshelf again...

www.merlinmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    I would look into a pair of Merlin MM or MX depending on your budget. They can be found for good prices on audiogon and they are excellent bookshelves, no expense spared. Built like a tank. I love them and will get them again if i ever get a bookshelf again...

www.merlinmusic.com
    Oh please! Recommending $3000 speakers??
    I don't think he's in the "cost is no object" market. It honestly sounds like he is on a family budget, and he is looking at older JBL bookshelf speakers. There's nothing wrong with that - doing good sound on a budget is a great goal!

He should probably go after those L-56 speakers ... better him than Blazer (he's got enough already!).
    besides, Emma would probably freak if I brought another pair of JBLs into the house.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

A good pair of Merlins hold their value extremely well. Look to spend 1200-1300 for the MM bookshelf and rest assured that you can always resell them in a week for the same money. that sounds like the best budget of all

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    besides, Emma would probably freak if I brought another pair of JBLs into the house.

hmm ... i may be new around here... but i get the impression hjames might like it when Emma freaks...... :shock::shock:

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    hmm ... i may be new around here... but i get the impression Heather might like it when Emma freaks...... :shock::shock:
    he he - the reason I delivered the L20Ts to BMWCCA was because Emma had fallen for her own bit of furniture - and after I bought big old speakers, I couldn't turn down her request for this vanity ... but freaking is somethin' else ... (sides, got no more rooms for speakers)!

(that picture was Saturday just after we got it in the room, windex and cleanup is coming)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

A little off topic, but that is a really cool looking piece of Deco. Original mirrors in good shape are rare. It appears that Emma scored.

Quote Originally Posted by JPTL View Post
    A little off topic, but that is a really cool looking piece of Deco. Original mirrors in good shape are rare. It appears that Emma scored.
    Thanks - Emma was struck more by it than I was a week ago - so when she mentioned it was real cool and she liked the style, it was easy to say, sure, lets go back and get it! ... So, Christmas came early for Emma - at least part of it!

The doggone mirror is 50 inches across - Phil and I managed to get it in the back of my CRV with great caution, diagonally!

... and all this time I thought the 4341s were the biggest things I'd ever get loaded in there!

But, they're hardly bookshelf speakers!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Heather,
    Looks like you and Emma are on the same wavelength regarding quality. That dresser and mirror are probably the 4341's of cabinetry for that era. Too bad for Emma that you really don't need more than one dresser.

JBL 4645
    Thanks - Emma was struck more by it than I was a week ago - so when she mentioned it was real cool and she liked the style, it was easy to say, sure, lets go back and get it! ... So, Christmas came early for Emma - at least part of it!

The doggone mirror is 50 inches across - Phil and I managed to get it in the back of my CRV with great caution, diagonally!

... and all this time I thought the 4341s were the biggest things I'd ever get loaded in there!

But, they're hardly bookshelf speakers!

LOL now that’s a car Hi-Fi! Fire that thing up Kaboom! Kaboom! And cruise the town.

Quote Originally Posted by westend View Post
    Heather,
    Looks like you and Emma are on the same wavelength regarding quality. That dresser and mirror are probably the 4341's of cabinetry for that era. Too bad for Emma that you really don't need more than one dresser.
    I'll probably look for other pieces to match it somewhat, right now everything else in that room is 30 year old funky IKEA-type knockdown stuff

(Emma says its a Vanity, not a dresser, grin)

And Ashley - the problem with the 4341s in the CRV is that once you have two of them in, one is blocked by the other!

And Ashley - the problem with the 4341s in the CRV is that once you have two of them in, one is blocked by the other!

run it mono!

leif
    Bookshelf size speakers? What about the good old Ti18?
    I remember hearing those many many years ago. I was impressed at that time. I dont know how they compare to the L20 that someone mention here...

Maron Horonzakz
    As a kid we used to call it depression furniture...When mom looked in the mirror she,d get depressed.

I never even thought to put the 4341 in that way. How did you do it? I have an element (bought it so I can take it concert camping/ mountain biking, and of course the occasional big speaker moving). Pretty much same dimensions as the crv. thats might impressive

Be careful what you haul in your Honda Element. Their rated payload including occupants is a whopping 750lbs. We almost bought one for work, but after four average adult males hopped in we had to leave our gear behind.

Widget

Thread Information