Thread: multi-room question

multi-room question

Greetings all.
    I have a question about multi-room sound. I see so many multi-room systems that have a tiny A-BUS connections that will use 2watt in wall amplifiers to power the 6inch midrange tweeters (still have not heard anything with any true bass response...), and can’t help but thinking that it is not worth putting holes in the walls to get the sound of an old transistor radio. Ok, I know that is a slight exaggeration, but not by much. I do not mind wiring the whole house with 12g speaker wire, but I still worry about enough resistance with 50-75ft speaker wire runs. So I guess I am wondering if my hopes are unreasonable, or is this possible. I don't think I can listen to L100t3's in two rooms, and poop in the others... If it is possible, what does anyone here use. I am open to all opinions.
    Thanks,
    eyedoc.

I hacked into the back of my 70's pre-installed nutone intercom system and hooked up my computer's sound output to the innards of the intercom. So I can stream internet radio or mp3's at 9 different speakers throughout the house simultaneously. It lets me know whenever i get emails or skype calls in any room as well.

BUT you did ask the question on a speaker forum... and so from a speaker perspective I recommend at least 2 JBL bookshelf speakers in every room (assuming paragons won't fit) and so i'd recommend at least 80 watts per channel going to every room at a minimum for bookshelfs. The only way you'll get that kind of "clean" power in every room is speaker-level (speaker wire) as opposed to line-level (what most "distribution systems" use).

Most internet audio websites will tell ya that 12 gauge wire is good for 200 feet maximum so you should be ok.

I use Tributaries 4 conductor 14 gauge cable wired throughout the entire attic. You can get it on epay for dirt cheap.

After that its all about how much control you have over the music in the other rooms, both volume and source control. I use a $40 RF extender in my remote control, so its true that you have to carry the remote control room-to-room with you to turn the volume or start/stop music.

But if you get one of those toolbelts that holds remote controls lol its not too big a deal. Hey I own that patent if that belt doesnt exist yet!

Or if you got the money to burn you can get one of those fancy room distribution system but its unlikely you'll get enough power to enough speakers to satisfy a JBL-type addiction.

pelly3s
    i think the abus systems are starting to put line outputs on the keypads. i know when i first started with jamo abus systems they were talking about putting it in. there are others out there that do it with cat 5. if you arent concerned about money lol then there is always Crestron

You'll need some transformers. I have owned and heard some quality whole house or multi room systems. None of them had and really good bass.

Thread Information