Thread: 4312A, B, C, MKII differences

4312A, B, C, MKII differences

What are the differences among these speakers?
    B.R.

Thanks, but... what about the sound?

Somewhat alike, but with some differences.

A more specific question would be - how long since the aforementioned models started to be a real improvement over the common 4311/L100/4312 - i.e. 035TI tweeter, 2105s, crossovers that deserve the name, flatter response curves etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
    A more specific question would be - how long since the aforementioned models started to be a real improvement over the common 4311/L100/4312 - i.e. 035TI tweeter, 2105s, crossovers that deserve the name, flatter response curves etc.
    Probably when the 2213h got replaced by the 128H. Oh, but that would be a 44xx, wouldn't it!

The 4312 still has a tailored response so it's not a "Studio Monitor" as JBL defines it. Take a look at this

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=4408

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by tweeter View Post
    Thanks, but... what about the sound?
    Well, since they changed the tweeter in the 4312A to a Titanium tweeter, and the original 4312 ( which I have a pair of ) used a cone tweeter, the highs on the Ti tweeter units have a brighter, sharper top end response IMO!

I say you have to listen to each, and decide what you like. I always liked my 4312,s, but, they didnt have the greatest HF extension.

Now, I dont have any of the other 4312 variants, but, I do have two pairs of 4411,s, and when I got these, they were supposed to be an improvement over the older speakers. However, the 4411,s foam edge woofer, compared to my 4312,s pleated linen accordian surround, went deeper in low frequency extension but didnt have as much punch. I favored the punchy bass character of my 4312,s at the time, I listened to mostly rock amd dance music. The Ti tweeters in my 4411,s were indeed sharper sounding than the cone tweets in the 4312,s, but, I found them to be somewhat tizzy, and bright sounding. I prefered the softer, rolled off sound of the cone tweets in my 4312,s.

Other people like woofers with a more extended low frequency, and others like a punchy character, albeit, at the expense of some low end extension.

I also had a 4518 ported subwoofer cabinet for an 18in woofer, and originally it came with a JBL 2245 foam edge extended bass driver. Again, many people LOVE this driver, but, it wasnt punchy enough for my taste. A few months after I had this system, I decided to buy a 2240 for the 4518 cabinet, worked much better for the time and what I was listening to at that age, when I was a young man.

My tastes are in no way indicative of what everyone likes, or even what I like today, it is only my opinion and subjective taste in audio character, and just serves to show that one MUST listen to speakers, and decide what they like, everyones taste is different!

What types of music do you listen to? How loud do you like to play it? Can you tell us about some speakers you DO like? This will offer some insight as to the tonal balance you desire.

scottyj

Thread Information