Thread: My latest Craigslist find.

My latest Craigslist find.

Hello everyone, I have been gone for a while (burnt out) I think. I just picked these up on Craigslist. Inside are D130's 16ohm consecutive numbers and 16ohm 075's that numbers are far apart for some reason and N2600 crossover's.These things look like they are new with a few scratches on top. Excellent sounding as well. I've noticed the crossovers have switches for either 16ohm or 32ohm,never seen this before on a crossover.The serials on the D130's are 56772 and 56771 the numbers on the 075's are 18886 and either 32006 or 82006. I forgot to get the numbers off the crossover's.There is no model number on these but I think they are part of the C series.Just thought I'd share them with you all.Nice to see you all again.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    Hello everyone, I have been gone for a while .
    Hey KJ - I wondered wha happened to you....tried to answer an old question that you posed about Altec 887a's , as I just bought some, but for some reason the thread was closed ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Hi Seawolf,I don't recall that thread but you know they say the brain is the first to go. I got a lot of reading to catch up on here so I'll be here for a while again.Thanks for the quick reply. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    Hi Seawolf,I don't recall that thread but you know they say the brain is the first to go. I got a lot of reading to catch up on here so I'll be here for a while again.Thanks for the quick reply. Jim
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...highlight=887A

kingjames
    JBL Enthusiast

ALTEC 887A CAPRI
    I know where there is a set of Altec 887a Capri's for sale,they want $65.00 for them.Is this a good deal,is this a good mini monitor? I only found one post on these and that post said they were bottom line of Altec's. All opinions welcomed!

details on your nice find ???
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

C-38

Those are C-38 speakers. We have a set that we were going to use for parts to rebuild a Paragon but decided to restore these speakers as well. On the back they have the original consumer info packs stapled on but they say D-38.
    Nice find!

c-38

Here are the C-38 speakers.

Smiley,
    To me that looks like a weird load in a C38 cabinet. A Lansalloy 15" woofer? Pardon my ignorance, but what it it? Pretty strange to see a C38 without an 030 load with a D130! What does the original paper work say.

Smile

Back in the day if you purchased JBL speakers new you could trade in the components for different/updated speakers.
    These were my wife's other uncle's speakers. He said he traded in the D130 speakers for the 375 drivers and horns and replaced the D130s with LE15s.
    Good catch on the 15s. You really know your speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by smiley67 View Post
    Those are C-38 speakers. We have a set that we were going to use for parts to rebuild a Paragon but decided to restore these speakers as well. On the back they have the original consumer info packs stapled on but they say D-38.
    Nice find!

The rear of these speakers are not the same as you'res. Mine are screw in backs and you'res are not.Here is a picture of the back to show the screws.

A little history how I got these.First of all I have an RSS feed on Craigslist for JBL, Marantz,Luxman,Krell, and a few other words. If you know about RSS feeds then you know that when one these words are posted on Craigslist it pop's up on my computer instantly like a door bell. In most case I am not at my computer when these deals are first posted. This time I was.

It was an ad with 2 IBM typewriters and I opened up the ad and lo and behold,there was a picture of these added in.I was the first one to call on them but they wanted me to pick them up the next day.This was about 7:30 PM Saturday night. You can understand why I wanted to get them the same night and they were only 18 miles from me.

I offered her $50.00 more to be able to come and get them now.She said she would call me back in 10 minutes.Waiting the 10 minutes felt like for ever because I knew all the calls she would get on these.

To cut the story short I was able to get them that night but I had to pay double what she posted in her ad. In the 10 minutes that she waited to call me she had received over 20 phone calls.The price I paid even though double was still a steal.

It still takes time for me to get use to a two way system but when my ears do get tuned to them they sound very good.I think the 075 tweeter is still one of the best sounding tweeters made by JBL.These speakers were well taken care of with only a few lite scratches on top. The components look like they're new in the inside.

There are those here who have theorized that the D130 works better in the smaller Barron (C38) enclosure, but I doubt the same is true for the LE15s. I'm a fan of the 030 load (in my C37s) even with all sorts of L112s, L150As, and 4412As around to compare them to. I particularly love to listen to a cello on a D130, it feels like there's someone sitting there playing the instrument. I've had my daughter play her old Doetsch next to the D130s and I do like the sound of her playing better, but I could be prejudiced.

Thread Information