Thread: Horn dampening

Horn dampening

Has anyone had any experience in applying dampening material to the H91 horn type for the L300/ 4333? Pros and cons?

Hi,

you can play with something reversable, like taping the exterior of the horn. people with altec cowbells do that alot. I have no experience with it, but i am curious myself.

law of diminishing returns

The casting of that horn, and when it's properly bolted to a wood baffle needs no additional dampening. The tiny amount of benefit that *might* happen would be positively dwarfed by any number of network mods, cabinet positioning, amplifier(s) choice(s), etc

Now if you want ring, play with the old altec 811 / 511 series...they would of made good bells for a church! Back in the old theater days we would spray the backs with car undercoating.

sub

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Has anyone had any experience in applying dampening material to the H91 horn type for the L300/ 4333? Pros and cons?
    Just in case you are building from scratch, it should be H92/2312.

David

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    The casting of that horn, and when it's properly bolted to a wood baffle needs no additional dampening. The tiny amount of benefit that *might* happen would be positively dwarfed by any number of network mods, cabinet positioning, amplifier(s) choice(s), etc . . . .b
    Not to mention aquaplasing the diaphragm if you are using titanium, but if you have the original 2420 diaphragm, it should be left as is, in my opinion, unless you are sure it is oilcanning excessively. If it is an old and well-used 2421 diaphragm, it may need to be replaced. I agree with subwoof, the crossover capacitors and the diaphragm are far more likely sources of horn rash than the horn itself in this case.

David

Cool Some horns do ring, but 2307? Don't think so...

Back when I first bought a pair of 2307/2420 w/lenses for my PA, worked at a music store that sold Yamaha speakers. I was able to get a good deal on some amps, and always was reading the catalog. I noticed they had a radial horn/driver listed, and the horn was described as having a thick layer of dampening material on the back. (Think 2345.)

Later I had to repair one of the Yamaha Cabinets with that same horn in it, and was surprised to find that it did NOT have any dampening at all! (All the Yamaha cabs at the time had a reputation for being "ringy", this was most likely the cause!)

So let me get this straight, they will sell you a horn to put in your own cabinet that sounds good, but if you buy the one with their name on the front, you get the one that rings at 3k? Great decision, eh?
    So I never did buy any Yamaha speakers, after the lense horns I did buy a pair of 2345's though...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Thanks for all the comments guys. What is oilcanning? My diaphrams are the original 2420 units. I have owned these since new and they haven't been abused.

Hi

Blu Tack wouldn't hurt.

There was an article years ago in Stereophile Magazine about that stuff for sound dampening. I'm gonna try it!

Thread Information