Thread: Is There A Good Book On Horn Loaded Speaker Design?

Is There A Good Book On Horn Loaded Speaker Design?

I'm looking for a book on horn theory. I have the cook books, and the Martin Collums 5TH edition, but they don't go in to it much, because they don't consider them to be a, "High Fidelity" medium. I just found a Heathkit SS-2 at an estate sale, (Jensen horn and Jensen alnico 8") and I was SHOCKED at how good it sounded. Not as good as my Infinity RS-5 vintage units, but a lot better than I though it would.

Anyway, if anybody has some suggestions about what I could find and read, I would really appreciate it. I've always worked with cones, ribbons, and domes, but not horns. I have now realized how LITTLE I now about the theory!

Many thanks.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Davethreshold View Post
    I'm looking for a book on horn theory.
    This book has still to be written , so what to do:

Scientific horn theorie started with "Acoustical impedance, and the theorie of horns and of the Phonograph" by A.G.Webster, published 1919 in the "Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA", a very mathematical investigation.
    The first book I get in mind is "Acoustics" by Leo L. Beranek, which I do not know, I'm no native speaker here.

You will find a lot in AES-Papers, in the internet or here in different forums. Perhaps you will look into the Technical Reference. Today there are ongoing investigations and there is more to come.

To give you a direction for asking you could specify your interests:
    - Bass horns or medium/high frequencies horns
    - descriptive or mathematical approach
    - pure theorie or practical examples
    - simulation
    - system integration

Read "Acoustical Engineering" by Olson, "Loudspeaker Handbook" by Eargle and "How to Build Speaker Enclosures" by Davis and Badmieoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    This book has still to be written , so what to do:

Scientific horn theorie started with "Acoustical impedance, and the theorie of horns and of the Phonograph" by A.G.Webster, published 1919 in the "Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA", a very mathematical investigation.
    The first book I get in mind is "Acoustics" by Leo L. Beranek, which I do not know, I'm no native speaker here.

You will find a lot in AES-Papers, in the internet or here in different forums. Perhaps you will look into the Technical Reference. Today there are ongoing investigations and there is more to come.

To give you a direction for asking you could specify your interests:
    - Bass horns or medium/high frequencies horns
    - descriptive or mathematical approach
    - pure theorie or practical examples
    - simulation
    - system integration
    Thank you very much Peter. It's surprising that there doesn't seem to be a book that covers it all. After all I have the Sanders Book on electrostatics. I just notice your recent posts about horn design. I'll start there. It's funny, I met Dr. Geddes who is quoted in that paper, at a stereo club meeting a long time ago. He demonstrated his theory of acoustics, controlling modes in the listening room, and how his listening room was the most isolated that I have ever run across, meaning that when you stood outside of it, with the stereo at a fairly loud level, you couldn't hear much from the outside. He also demonstrated his "acoustic lever" which gives another 6 D.B. to a given woofer setup, while not increasing box size too much.

Anyway your questions: I would probably count out the bass horns because the have a tendency to be very large, and would go beyond my woodworking skills very fast. I would look in to medium-high frequency horns. To match the starting S.P.L. output, I would use an electronic crossover from the corner placed subs that I am using now. Those are 6.5 Cubic foot, (net) sono-subs. Each has 2 Peerless 260/SWR's (10") in push-pull parallel configuration. They are VERY efficient, though not up to large horn levels. I would be looking at all of the following: Descriptive and mathematical approach, - theory and practical examples, - simulation and system integration. I'll start with what you posted, and also your other recommendations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    Read "Acoustical Engineering" by Olson, "Loudspeaker Handbook" by Eargle and "How to Build Speaker Enclosures" by Davis and Badmieoff.
    Great Tom. Thank you. I have a couple A.E.S. books that I'll have to dig up. I'll see if the horn theory is discussed in them. I remember seeing the book, "How To Build Speaker Enclosures" back in the day. Another idea that I just thought of is older books on Ebay and Amazon. I'll give that a try also.

Literature

Here is a good link, there is no time for me right now to write down some thoughts.
    http://www.melhuish.org/audio/horninfo.html

Thread Information