Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what are the best JBL's made??

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Did anybody except me noticed that AJMERNONE have not replied to this thread?
    Never stopped anyone before. Do you presume everyone's here only to answer questions intelligently and not for the entertainment value?

Entertainment? What's that :dont-know

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Ask 4313b

My guess would be the system in GT's living room

Rich

Rich. There is a good chance you're right....

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Rich. There is a good chance you're right....

dont know it. pics pleasestats also
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18369&highlight=greg+timbers+

You know this ain't a stock system. Maybe 4313b can make a comment for us

I don't think you can use the subject field as a link. This one probably has more information on GT's system anyway: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=9951

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    My guess would be the system in GT's living room

Rich
    Greg's system first, Everest II second? That'd be my preference.

Greg just recently replaced the six 435Be's in his system with six 476Be's. The mains and surrounds are 12-inch 2-ways using the 1200Fe and the 476Be/H4338. These are bi-amped with a DX-1 (the compensation networks on the 476Be's are charge coupled Solens, they are also different than the charge coupled compensation networks required for the 435Be's). Sub duty is handled by four 1500AL's. Center channel is a modified 880 Array.

Here's Don's post on Greg's system (435Be version).

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...t.php?p=185959

(Ignore the 045Be's bondo'd into the H4338 horns, they haven't been used for quite a long time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    Suffice it to say that this ranks as the finest system I have heard in a home environment.
    Agreed.

4313b. Have you been able to listen to the system after he changed the Be drivers? Much improvement?

-Tim

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    4313b. Have you been able to listen to the system after he changed the Be drivers? Much improvement?
    I have not heard his system since he change it. It hasn't been but a few weeks. It took him quite a long time just to be able to get hold of six 476Be's. He recently did a complete remodeling of his house so he has been pretty busy with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by timc
    Do you know the retail price for the H4338 ?
    $994.46 a pair (front horn, gasket, rear horn) and evidently extremely tough to get. JBL would rather sell complete systems than various components as has been the practice since the demise of the Loudspeaker Component Series in the mid eighties. The components available today are evidently intended for use as replacement parts for owners of complete JBL systems. Transducers that fail such as the 1500AL, 435Be and 476Be are swapped out whole (no recone kits or diaphragms available and no recones or diaphragm replacements at Service Centers). Note that these particular components are bought by JBL Consumer from JBL Professional but that JBL Professional does not list any of them for sale either. Harman Japan does make them available separately as components for DIY. Zilch and Robh3606 are correct in that it is much easier for DIY folks to get the very nice 2452H-SL and the waveguides for their projects.

Its cold shower time

4313b

Party at GT's then. I'll book my flight

Rich

ah GT is greg Timbers.
    people in my (we dont care for your speakers) family know the name of greg because i mentioned him so often.

and now here i am totally missing the point

thats karma at work for you
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Some say the JBL L150A was the best that JBL ever made new or vintage...... http://www.randallareed.com/JBL_150L%20Speakers.htm But they don't sound better than my Modified (Open Baffles) DCM TFE200's!

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiSoundGuy View Post
    Some say the JBL L150A was the best that JBL ever made new or vintage...... http://www.randallareed.com/JBL_150L%20Speakers.htm
    WTF??? You still haven't sold your L150s? You posted that same information a year ago in your for-sale post. Two posts; two pimping of the L150. Now I have a set and I fully expect to enjoy them for a long time but I'm not trying to sell mine or convince anyone that they are the best JBLs ever made!! No one here would believe me even if I did.

And so much for the expert you link to:
    You can tell by my web site that I have a range of great quality speakers so I'm not blowing smoke here. For what I have to offer for sale - these are #1 in sound quality followed by the Sansui SP-X9000 and the Bose 901 Series 3.

best JBL's made

Depends on if you mean a JBL company product or the best that James B Lansing made. For the bass cabinet the twin lens reflex (a pair of 15" drivers and the cabinet is 8 feet by about 3 feet by 3.5 feet[don't have them to measure at the moment] is the best(I am stuck with A7 midbass cabinets). Any horn with less than a 2" throat cannot overcome the distortion problems (I have the altec lansing 1505 3 rows of 5 cells with asphalt fill to get rid of the tinnyness). I prefer the crystal slot for the Tweeter. I wish I could remember the one I listen to. You can do a lot of mixing of cabinets and drivers all designed by James B Lansing. Gifted people like JBL are not limited except by resources. Wonder what he could have done if he did not check out early.

Thread Information