Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Charge Coupled Crossover

Obsolete
    You can build your cc networks and leave the batteries out for a few weeks while you get accustomed to how the new networks sound. Then install the batteries.

Or you can just compare two sets of loudspeakers like a few guys did with their 18Ti's, 120Ti's, and 250Ti's.

Wow this subject has been a lot of fun!

I have ordered the components to build a pair identical to the 3106, the "B" pair, and a "C"pair, charge coupled. Then I will run them against the "A" pair.

The reason for the "B" pair is for control, it would not be objective to test against my old 3106's with their old caps and all. I will also exlude the L-pad with fixed value resistors. I will of course A B C test.

Its probable that small improvements would make themselves more evident in the higher order more complex networks, this is just where I chose to begin this journey.

I just bought a new TEF 25 PRO kit with all the extras for component testing. It is even supposed to be able to measure and display Heyser Spiral plots on capacitors, and inductors. A lot to learn here to get good data! $3500.00 in red pills! Its never gonna be the same from now on.

So I hope to be able to measure and post the results, but in the end, its all what ya hear.

Thanks for all the input. Keep up the fight, ha ha.

Well I'm almost ready to make the plunge to Charge-coupled for my L300's. You guys really think it makes all the difference huh??

I really don't know,,, yet. I doubt it makes ALL the difference, however performance is why I love JBL.

They really are well built hotrods, hence the romance most of us of feel toward them.

Keeping them running, and improving if and what we can is the never ending adventure.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    You guys really think it makes all the difference huh??
    JBL has used this charge-coupled technology in many of their TOTL loudspeakers for years now. We have the option to apply this technology to our older loudspeaker systems. It makes for a very nice improvement that many people enjoy.

Back when JBL started using bypass capacitors in many of their systems we applied that technology to our older JBL's and that made for a very nice improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I have a pair of L300's that I'm considering charge-coupling the crossovers. Analyzing the charge-coupled crossover schematics it seems to me if you remove the battery voltage the crossover reverts to the usual passive unit so an A/B listening comparison should be very easy just by putting a switch in the battery line. Has anyone tried this?

Domino,

Unfortunately it not that simple. The capacitors will hold their charge and the effect on the dieletric will rermain for a period of time. The same holds for connection of the battery. Allow several days for the effect of the battery.There is information somewhere in the library on "how" it works.

IN progress

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Nice.

Are you still building these networks?

Quote Originally Posted by rbnjr View Post
    Are you still building these networks?
    No!

I have never built dc-biased networks for others ( though I do use them and very much appreciate them ) .

The above picture ( that you omitted ) were of some CCed networks that were under construction by LHF member, 4313B.

No!

I have never built dc-biased networks for others ( though I do use them and very much appreciate them ) .

The above picture ( that you omitted ) were of some CCed networks that were under construction by LHF member, 4313B.

Ohoooo,
    what a nice picture

ivica

No!

What are those 6 posts on each board? Is that for mounting or for some type of terminal? Thanks.
    Tom

Standoffs, presumably for mounting to a surface (perhaps plexiglas/perspex for show) or to the cab.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Standoffs, presumably for mounting to a surface (perhaps plexiglas/perspex for show) or to the cab.
    Thanks Grumpy. How'd you get that handle? You can't possibly be as grumpy as I am known to be!
    Tom

Obsolete
    The standoffs are for the boards containing the second half of the networks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Wow! That's an awesome layout. The epitome of neatness. Makes my crossovers look like a bucket of worms Thanks.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I thought I would share my build of a CC 3155 network that went into my 4355's. All wiring reverse side. It is neat on that side as well. Entire X-over assembly was mounted to rear of cabinet with standoffs. Schematic and design courtesy of G. Timbers and Giskard.
    Name:  IMG_2666.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  148.0 KBName:  IMG_2668.jpg
Views: 2004
Size:  136.0 KBName:  IMG_2669.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  148.0 KBName:  IMG_2670.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  126.4 KBName:  IMG_2671.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  153.4 KB

Thread Information