Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for matching JBL's

Question Looking for matching JBL's

Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum and perhaps somebody can help me:

I have a SCOTT 222A Amplifier which I love because of it's incredible "smooth" sound-quality which can hardly be beaten by modern amplifiers (sorry - that's my taste ) and my quite well matching Mission speakers were stolen!!! Now I want to take that forced opportunity (sorry, my english is not perfect, I'm from Austria, where one speaks german ) to improve my system with Vintage JBL's.

What Speakers would you reccomend me - which would match my tube Amp.(13wpc RMS) with its rich overtones?

And of course, where would I find these speakers, especially as I can not invest much money at the moment. Anyway, I think, these speakers shoulden't be too big (power-consumption ? and the room, where I have this stereo is quite small - 13mē)?

I'm observing ebay in Austria and Germany, but there I found only quite modern models such as TLX 25 (which was sold right now for 62 Euro - this price would be OK for me when I get something really matching), but I would not buy them without testlistening with my amp.

When you tell me, what JBL's (from the sixties to the nineties) could match, I woulden't bother to take quite a time to find them.

As I am a carpenter by profession, I would even build the case myself, if necessary, and I have a friend, who can repair vintage speakers professionally (for example fixing matching sikken).

Greetings from "central europe"

Wandler

Welcome

100 euros will not get you anything good unless you are really lucky but I would recommend that you search for these and you will not go wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

oops

These are model 4301 studio monitor. Very easy to drive and they sound super in a small room. Performance beyond their size. Quite rare though. The domestic version was L19. 4401 was good too but smaller. ( L15 )
    Alternatively if you can build good boxes then you will have to search for the drivers. Some people here have a huge stock of old drive units hidden away in cupboards and under beds.
    If you want to reproduce an older design the crossover information is available on this site and you will get all kinds of help on the way - all you have to do is ask.
    Be aware that the old hochtoner are quite rare and many have been deleted by the factory.
    Try putting a general question into the DIY section of this forum, I am sure you will be stunned at the information that comes back to you.
    Good luck.

Thanks very much,Macaroonie for your kind advice!

So I'm looking foreward to find one of the models you mentioned (As I was unlucky in beeing stolen from my former speakers, I should be lucky now in getting the "new" ones )!

Is there, by accident, somebody in this forum, who knows of a lonley, unused, unhappy pair of 4301, which want do do their perfect job in a cosy, esteemed atmosphere ??

Greetings

Wandler

Thanks very much,Macaroonie for your kind advice!

So I'm looking foreward to find one of the models you mentioned (As I was unlucky in beeing stolen from my former speakers, I should be lucky now in getting the "new" ones )!

Is there, by accident, somebody in this forum, who knows of a lonley, unused, unhappy pair of 4301, which want do do their perfect job in a cosy, esteemed atmosphere ??

Greetings

Wandler

UUPS

While sending the former post, I was asked to re-login and so it was sent twice???

here you go

L16 decade in France e bay. Clik the linkhttp://cgi.ebay.fr/JBL-enceintes-VIN...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks again macaroonie!

I have seen the german decade 16's, but I was not shure, if they match my amp with its 13 w RMS. I have heard, that too "big" speakers "suck" too strongly and might even cause some breaks???
    Is this true?
    What price would you suggest would be a good deal?

Schottischpriese

E 200 - 225 Die Deutsche E bay item bist perfekt

bad refoam

the foam is on the wrong side ...

Macaroonie,
    I think, the german ones, as they are presented perfectly and the obvious condition is really beautyful, will go higher than the french ones. People might think at the end of the french auction "I will wait for the german ones, anyway they look better".
    Und jetzt frage ich Dich: Ist Deine Preisempfehlung typisch Schottisch?

Cheers! (As Austria is quite close to Bavaria, we are somehow also beer-infected).

Hi, ratitifb,
    which foam where??? - I'm not an expert. For me they look fabulous.
    Thanks anyway for telling ...

There must be an Orange County in Austria, too!

In case you haven't figured it out, the foam surround on the Low Frequency cone has been applied to the front of the cone. They originally came with the foam attached to the back side of the woofer. Many shops do it this wrong way and it is fodder for plenty of jokes on this site. Some shops even claim it is "correct" to do it this way. We know it's certainly a lot easier to do it this way!

It's hard to tell from the lousy pictures in the French auction but they look a lot like either the wrong size surrounds or possibly on the wrong side, too. Such are the frustrations of buying old speakers.

Hi

Do not worry about the foam it is a cosmetic issue and will not damage the sound. The german set look very clean, for that age they have been looked after well. The grille covers show no abrasion or tears ---- no kids or cats.
    They are in Lubeck in DDR is that far for you to go.
    For your size of room these are ideal.

Foam

Just so that you understand, the foam at the edge of the bass speaker has been replaced. This is normal for a speaker of this age. In the picture the piece with the arrow is factory fitted to the back of the cone. The speakers in Germany have had them fitted the lazy way on the front of the cone.
    In fairness the repair has been done neatly and should not cause any problems.
    If you search the web you will see these selling in the US for $ 100 or less depending on condition. There were many more of these sold there therefore the price reflects that. It is unlikely that you can profitably buy from a US auction and ship to Austria. The packing and shipping alone will most likely cost more than the speakers.
    Having said that why dont you put a Want To Buy advert in the product marketplace in this forum. At least the folks here can be trusted and someone on the east coast might just come up with something for you
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information