Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Blush review: Eagles Out of Eden

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Yes, some can control their catalogues to some extent and some can't, or at least have a very large say over what gets released or how/when - especially after their initial contractual obligations are done. Let's remember that in Zep's case, they had/have their own record company (Swan Song), although this upcoming concert is going to be a "tribute" to Atlantic guru Ahmet Ertegun.

I've seen reports where Jimmy says there may be other shows after the one in London, while Robert has said there's 'no chance' of that.

As a part-time drummer myself for many years, I'm certainly not on the side of the record companies. But I also know how musicians can get apathetic and uninspired to create new material, or not interested in gigging anymore - until it comes down to making the car payments.

You should read some of Robert Fripp's diary - some of his comments on dealing with EG and how they did whatever in heck they wanted to do with the King Crimson masters:

"The emphasis is on the band getting the money. Now, that’s a good idea, and one I support. Here’s an example of the artist getting the money, The EG Way

EG, as licensor, received the advance from its major label distributor. This was used to fund the making of the album, and the advance recovered from record sales. The costs of making the album was therefore paid for by the artist, who received royalties when sales generated income that exceeded the production costs. EG, however, were paid a royalty from Day One, on the First Sale. If sales did not recover the advance, the advance on this album was cross-recouped by EG against sales on other, more successful albums of the artist. And, whether the album was successful or not, EG owned the copyright on it. So, when the going got tough, EG sold those copyrights & the new owner continued not-to-pay royalties to former EG artists on un-recouped albums on which EG had received the advance in full – but had never distributed to the artist because the record had not recouped!"

There's a lot more - but basically he sued them and got the masters tapes back, and is managing the recordings himself for the band ... and still has endless grief when he finds things like Crimson recordings are released for internet sales when no such agreements with EMI (who "bought" the license from EG) were ever signed.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

hjames - it's been known since Edison first made a record that generally the musician(s) gets effed. No surprise there about Fripp's story; I've read some of that before about the hassles Crimson has had.

I'm just saying that some of these bands could do better as to creating new (or better) material. So for example, as much as I love and respect the powerful & almighty Led Zeppelin , I won't be buying their "new" release. I already have enough copies - on vinyl, CD, VHS, and DVD!!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    Next up in another week or so is Led Zeppelin's "Mothership", which is yet another rehash ("Digitally Remastered...Again!") of their old stuff in a slick new package, but no new or never-released material.
    Better a tired old Led rehash than anything being produced today.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    For the most part, yeah I'd agree.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    For the most part, yeah I'd agree.
    I just checked the calendar. It's November 2007.

I'm sure you guys like that old Jethro Tull chestnut, Living In The Past.

You should tell that to the Haydn, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven fans.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I just checked the calendar. It's November 2007.

I'm sure you guys like that old Jethro Tull chestnut, Living In The Past.
    Yeah, I like it just fine.

Eagles.... Desperado. Always has been and always will be the music for masses. I'm really tired of these ex rocks stars trying to cash in . For the most part the money is either used to put themselves through the Meadows or, to fund the next relapse. Their all most as bad as those talentless shits that sample the oldies then lay some rapp-crap over the top and offer it up as culture under-pinned by self-serving philosphy they read on the wall of the local tavern after a night drinking draught beer and Queer-bashing.

hell ,it just aint what a dude needs after a shite day at the office. Perhaps
    the Eagles can go entertain the troops down on Guantanamo Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Eagles.... Desperado. ...For the most part the money is either used to put themselves through the Meadows or, to fund the next relapse.

I had to lol at that one.

Gary L
    Who Cares?

I always enjoyed the music from the Eagles and ran out to buy this one the day it hit the shelves at Wall World.

There is no doubt about it being the Eagles and some of the cuts are very nice indeed.

I am very happy to own this set, couldn't care less where I bought it from and probably won't be casting a political vote for any of them.

As far as I'm concerned "It's all about the music" and this set is fine and very well mixed and recorded.

If you don't happen to enjoy the Eagles music then its a safe bet you won't like this. I would venture a guess we all have music we enjoy from artists that ought to be Tared & Feathered for their political views or personal lifestyles.

My wife has a couple of old Barbara Streisand LPs she likes so I keep them seperated so they don't contaminate the rest of my albums!

Gary

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    My wife has a couple of old Barbara Streisand LPs she likes so I keep them seperated so they don't contaminate the rest of my albums!
    Awww! Poor Babs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbfLQy7il14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Euvz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf53oFb4IKA

Thread Information