Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Blush review: Eagles Out of Eden

First Blush review: Eagles Out of Eden

Okay, folks, here’s a first-blush reflection on the Eagles Long Road Out of Eden release. By way of introduction, this is a two CD set that’s selling for $11.88 exclusively at Walmart. After years of wrangling they’ve ditched their record company. The CD set is packaged in a bi-fold cardboard cover very reminiscent of an album cover, with an enclosed booklet. Though not touted as carbon neutral, it is built from “Mixed Sources” high-percentage recycled materials. The packaging and photography is impeccable.

The backup band is largely made up of the usual suspects from the Farewell I and Hell Freezes Over DVD sets – a really tight bunch. Producer credit is given to the Eagles with touring band members Steuart Smith, Richard Davis, and Scott Crago as well as Bill Szymczyk. The band and Szymczyk produced a full album back around 2001 but failed to release it. Perhaps some of these cuts are from that vintage. The mix was by Elliot Scheiner, who mixed the above-mentioned two DVDs and has become the premier mixer in this genre. The mixes are immaculate. There is lots of meat for the subwoofers in the kick drum and bass sounds as well as crisp highs as fodder for the tweeters. As has become traditional with Eagles products, this is probably destined to become a system check CD for many people because of its clean, crisp recording style. There’s plenty of space between the various components, but each song gels well into a tight groove that simply works. As usual, the performances and arrangements are spot-on tight, with few wasted notes. I’ve got to say that if you like the Eagles, you are definitely getting the value for your pennies in this set.

The two CDs are like two different worlds. Disk one represents the Southern California country-rock and ‘70s anti-disco, anti-punk, smooth-pop sensibility. If a reviewer calls the whole album that, he clearly hasn’t made it to disk two, where the artsy side of the Eagles re-emerges. There you have the protest songs and more serious side of each of the Eagles. There they stretch out and try a few new things. Let’s look at the songs one at a time:

Disk 1
    1. No More Walks in the Wood – As song about over-forestation and over-development. Features the Eagles’ lush multi-part harmonies and one acoustic guitar. Perhaps the lyrics were a bit too literal and not open ended enough?
    2. How Long – Practically irresistible and inarguable. A “perfect” Take It Easy-esque country-rock statement. You can hear it everywhere about right now.
    3. Busy Being Fabulous - A Henley anti-Hollywood ballad. Smooth, self-contained, excellent production.
    4. What Do I Do with My Heart - A Frey piano ballad with a strangely ‘70s-‘80s anti-disco musical sensibility and a “You are leaving me” theme.
    5. Guilty of the Crime - Here’s your Walsh party animal rocker with slide. Pretty much mindless party pop.
    6. I Don’t Want to Hear Any More – Paul Carrack-penned Timmy Schmidt ballad with an “It’s Over But We’re Okay” theme. Lush, lush vocal treatment and interesting lead sound.
    7. Waiting in the Weeds – A clean acoustic Henley ballad. There is deeper, more mature lyical thing going here where he kind of compares love and his career as a musician.
    8. No More Cloudy Days – This Frey ballad premiered on Farewell I. He wrote it for his daughter after she experienced a relationship breakup. It is driven by an interesting bass and kick sound.
    9. Fast Company – Here’s an uptown, Motown-esque song in protest of the Hollywood culture.
    10. Do Something – An acoustic with pedal steel Timmy Schmidt motivational piece.
    11. You Are Not Alone – Classy, reassuring ballad. This could serve as a great album closer.

So ends disk 1, over 45 minutes of music. They could have released this disk alone and it would have seemed complete.

Disk 2
    1. Long Road Out of Eden – begins with a Middle Eastern flavor and moves into a war/culture protest song from the perspective of a returning soldier. An interesting attempt: Support the troops – write a war protest song. Clearly one of the artsiest fore’s on the album.
    2. I Dreamed There Was No War – a dreamy wistful instrumental. Short but sweet.
    3. Somebody – Frey attempts the classic “crow is following you” motif, resurrecting what they have jokingly referred to as their “satanic rhythm and blues country rock” period a la Witchy Woman.
    4. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture – Here’s an interesting take on uptown swing and R&B with social commentary on our culture’s apparent short memory and un-thought-out lifestyle.
    5. Last Good Time in Town – Walsh finally gets around to a serious piece about the virtues of the domestic, as opposed to party, life. The title refers to staying home. The style is reminiscent of his “But Seriously Folks” era and the interesting guitar solos evoke the “So What” era.
    6. I Love to Watch a Woman Dance - An interesting folk/pop piece that soon shows its true colors as he makes it clear he loves to dance with his wife.
    7. Business as Usual – An uptown rocker talking about commerce as god.
    8. Center of the Universe – a soft Timmy tune where he makes the point that we are not (the song’s title)
    9. It’s Your World Now – Surprise! It’s a unique mariachi-flavored closer from Fret offering his perspective on the world and our place in it to the next generation.

And here ends another complete disk with nearly forty-six minutes of music that might easily have stood on its own.

This is a very complete package with something from every era for every Eagles fan. Does it break lots of new ground? Mmm… Don’t think so. The Eagles were never all that ground-breaking – instead they excelled at consolidating successful trends into the most tasteful statements, something of the sina qua nons, for the genre’s they entered. Here they usually make their commentary points pretty well without forcing the listener to get down and roll too much in their point of view. They get serious, but rarely maudlin. There are some really cool guitar sounds here, but very few ground-breaking guitar statements. Yes, Felder is missed.

Because of Henley’s on-again-off-again relationship with the media, I’m betting they won’t get a lot of coverage for this work. You can buy it off Amazon, by the way, if Walmart is just too much of suburbia for you. By the way, I’m not sure there was ever a greater contrast between artistic statement and delivery method than their selling this album in Walmart.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Thanks Bob

I was considering going out today to pick it up. Now I think I will.

Rob

Good info, Bob. Thanks for taking the time to write it out.

Probably, I would have passed it by, but now I'll check it out. Have to admit, I don't know where a Wal-Mart is around here, but I think there's one in Long Beach. (?)

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
    By the way, I’m not sure there was ever a greater contrast between artistic statement and delivery method than their selling this album in Walmart.
    Is that a nice way to say "hypocrisy"?

"hy·poc·ri·sy [hi-pok-ruh-see] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun, plural -sies.
    1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
    2. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude."

Maybe The Eagles should have written "Business As Usual" and "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" to include themselves. I'm no fan of the big record companies but c'mon...WalMart? Robert Johnson did better down at the crossroads.

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    *snip*
    Maybe The Eagles should have written "Business As Usual" and "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" to include themselves. I'm no fan of the big record companies but c'mon...WalMart? Robert Johnson did better down at the crossroads.
    Ya know,

Everyone has a hole in his head through which the wind loudly whistles.

I wrote that line myself. We all have holes in our indvidual worldviews that are glaring. Being a public figure puts yours on display in bold marquee letters. I've never been under the misapprehension that the Eagles really were super-virtuous characters. NEVER. I've never taken their political, geopolitical, or environmental advice. To be honest, in the big picture, they differ from me like night and day. However, in the micro-sphere, they do, on occasion, make some good points.

As a recording engineer by trade, I am often put in the unenviable position of having to listen to music that contains lyrical content with which I don't agree, just to keep my chops current. In fact, I find the industry awash in petulant, demanding whining voices of people who really don't have a clue about solutions. Of course, they aren't the least restrained in voicing their displeasure with just about anything, anyway. I've decided that I don't want to be like that. However, some of the people in the recording industry can make some darned good recordings. Engineer Elliot Scheiner, for instance, makes some, ummm... darned good recordings. When I met him and talked shop for a bit, he was actually very nice to me.

The Eagles have severed ties with a very broken music industry and attempted to strike out on a new path. And, in all the aplomb and fiasco available to a very flawed human race, they have discovered that some of their political and economic views *simply don't work* when they are seeking to find a free market for their product. Being extremely shrewed marketeers, I don't think the irony is lost on them.

And so, while I am cognizant of the background noise of the political inconsistencies of the members of the Eagles, I made my review as apolitical as I felt was possible, while not avoiding the, ahem, attendant irony. Call it my bit to make this a kinder, gentler world.

Take care,

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

I'm no fan of the big record companies but c'mon...WalMart? Robert Johnson did better down at the crossroads.
    who cares where it comes from ?? (except from the tobacco companies) I dont think they are getting rich at $11.88 for a double....it appears to be a good release at a great price. Once its in your hands, it makes no difference whether it came from WallyMart, Target, costco or MidniteCDsupply.

Thanx for the review, Bob
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Good info, Bob. Thanks for taking the time to write it out.
    Yes, thank you.

Absolutely-->>Review on Target (or is that WalMart?)

As an Eagle fan since the early 70's, I find it refreshing that they decided to go the route of bypassing big music recording studios, and take their music directly to the people through (in this case) WalMart.

I live in a small town where a small vocal minority tried to eliminate WalMart; and insisted that everything would be better if we all continued to use the smaller stores in town.

What a deal!! Everything we buy in these stores is 40% more, and doesn't go into Mom and Pop but rather in smaller corporate (mainly grocery) hands. BTW we voted those guys down to 377 to 118; and still they whine. They only support elections that go their way. The Super WalMart ? Opens in 2 months! One thing is a fact lower prices = money YOU can spend.

I don't care who they market it through, rather that they brought a quality product to everyone at a price clearly $6 to $9 less many artists can. I guess that goes to their ability as established artists to go their own way.

Thanks for the review Bob. Thanks for the cost savings to The Band.
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

In supporting the race to the bottom, don't complain when you some day find yourself there also.

When the Clash released the 3 disc Sandanista album (licorice pizza things) it was clearly marked that it should sell for no more than $8.99. Quite awesome at the time - and that was the Band's desire - the record company HATED them for doing so. And it was before the WalMarts and the Chinese manufacturing stream.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

TD, I got yer Mal-Wart right here. We're so classy in Long Beach that we have three stores to choose from: 151 East Fifth Street (downtown), 2770 East Carson Street and 7250 East Carson Street.

Yo this is What its All About

Walmart or Not...Here's what its all about..circa 2004 in the Albany Farewell 2 concert. front section center rows 6th row from the front....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Are they going to be like the Who, always coming back for just one more farewell tour?

How can we miss you if you won't go away ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Are they going to be like the Who, always coming back for just one more farewell tour?

How can we miss you if you won't go away ...
    When royalty monies start running low again, they all need to get off their duffs and put something out and/or a "reunion" tour; whether it's great or mediocre doesn't matter as long as they generate some sales. Gotta keep up that 'rock n' roll lifestyle' ya know.

Next up in another week or so is Led Zeppelin's "Mothership", which is yet another rehash ("Digitally Remastered...Again!") of their old stuff in a slick new package, but no new or never-released material.

Move along now...nothing to see here...

Next up in another week or so is Led Zeppelin's "Mothership", which is yet another rehash ("Digitally Remastered...Again!") of their old stuff in a slick new package..
    Do you really think that most groups control their catalogues ? The Beatles didn't. CCR didn't ...Fantasy put out over 50 different repackagings of the same music, and that little perv Michael had catalogue control until Paul has started to buy some of it back.

do you think LZ is any different ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information