Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Possible) new UK recruit

Given my room dimensions of approx 5 x 4 x 2.5 M, I can't help but think these 4600's should be absolutely perfect.... Must get on to Harman and find out why they're not available in the UK, er.....well they don't seem to be.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Just less than £2000 so would be about £3000 inc shipping duty and vat
    That price on the website is each.

So I think the price delivered to the UK would be closer to £5-6k.

A good summary of the difference in the components used in the 4600 and the 4800 would be good. Those two seem to be the serious contenders?
    --------------------------------
    S4600 uses:
    14" LE14H-4
    2" 175Nd-3 (800Hz crossover)
    3/4" 138Nd (8000Hz crossover)

35Hz - 40kHz -6dB

S4800 uses:
    15" 1500FE
    3" 435Al (900Hz crossover)
    1" 045Ti (8000Hz crossover)

55Hz - 40kHz: -6dB

I find the quoted -6dB point of 35Hz for the S4600 versus 55Hz for the S4800 very interesting?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    I find the quoted -6dB point of 35Hz for the S4600 versus 55Hz for the S4800 very interesting?
    Why? We've talked about the LE14 having the lowest extension of the current crop of JBL LF transducers plenty of times. It works really well with the 435BE/H4338 too. The 1500AL and 1500FE roll off more gradually and are more efficient.

I need to pay more attention, thanks for clearing that up.

The greater extension alone makes me think that I'd like the S4600. I really like the LE14H-3's in my 250Ti's (just listening to Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood now..)

Obsolete
    The greater extension alone makes me think that I'd like the S4600.
    Agreed. I think it's a pretty cool system and I think it looks a bit better than the 1400 Array as well.

Yes, the Array 1400 is so ugly I passed on pair that sold on UK eBay for about 1/3 new price (they were virtually new).

Sorry to treat on old ground but am I corect in saying that Harmon Japan would not ship the S4600, etc to the UK, US, etc. ...But that Japan JBL resellers may ship them??

Obsolete
    Sorry to treat on old ground but am I corect in saying that Harmon Japan would not ship the S4600, etc to the UK, US, etc. ...But the Japan JBL resellers may ship them??
    That is my understanding, yes. You might ask Merlin about that. These systems really should be available to all, worst case if only via web purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Given my room dimensions of approx 5 x 4 x 2.5 M, I can't help but think these 4600's should be absolutely perfect....
    In answer to your qestion, I would say yes.

Although don't get too hung up on the idea that big systems cannot be used in medium sized rooms. Several members here have found that they can work fine. I am also finding that as well - my current listening room is 4 x 4 x 2.5m.

Have you got any stud walls as they definitely help control room modes.

I have enough difficulty landing LE14H-3s, let alone H-4s, H4600, 175nd-3 and 138nd.

So, it's work with what I CAN get for reasonable $$$, instead, in a similar "tower" configuration:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...330#post174330

Other than a bit of experimentation, I've never been tempted by the Project Array design approach; too radical for my sensibilities, such as they may be....

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    I have enough difficulty landing LE14H-3s, let alone H-4s, H4600, 175nd-3 and 138nd.
    You really aren't supposed to be landing any of it. As discussed, these components are for replacement parts as opposed to DIY folks. JBL did away with the LCS back in the mid 80's and for good reason. Harman Japan does make certain raw components available over the counter and that's the extent of it.
    So, it's work with what I CAN get for reasonable $$$, instead,
    Alot of us have zero interest in the PA/SR way of doing things anymore though and prefer the JBL Consumer gear Greg is working exclusively on these days.
    Other than a bit of experimentation, I've never been tempted by the Project Array design approach; too radical for my sensibilities, such as they may be....
    Well, feel free to knock Greg's designs. He really couldn't care less and doing so has zero impact on the demand for his expertise. His personal Array system is quite simply stunning.

Does anyone know much about the S4600.
    Hi Andy,

I recently visited Tokyo with some audio geeks who write for some disreputable US publications.

We heard the S4600 in a number of locations and were impressed each time. As a previous 4338 owner, I'd have no hesitation in recommending the S4600 - sounded superb on the end of Linn electronics.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    I recently visited Tokyo with some audio geeks who write for some disreputable US publications.

Thanks Merlin,

How would you describe the bottem end of the S4600 compared to the others in the range.

Can you recount how you go about getting these things to the UK (or point me to a relevant thread)....how much do you think it would cost to get a pair of S4600 landed and taxed here?

p.s. I heard you sold the 4338's, I had my eye on your pair myself

I've never heard a loudspeaker's bottom end - only the room they are in at the time. So it's difficult to say, but the S4600 was both fast and dynamic in all of the rooms we heard them in.

I think the 4338 is the better loudspeaker, but is far from domestically acceptable for most people. If that is unimportant, the 4338 is hugely entertaining.

Shipping from Japan is not too hard. There are companies that do it for you - one of the guys on here did that recently I believe. I have some good friends around Tokyo so visit when I can and make arrangements then. I think the companies that shop for you charge around 10% when if you are there in person you can easily save 10% making the real cost around 20%. 20% of say £5K is £1K which is a bloody good week in Tokyo including flights, accomodation, and copious quantities of audio geekery.

Thread Information