Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting "White Van" article

JBL 4645
    I see any white vans driving around my home town a bloody baseball bat is what they’ll get. I was going to mention a DVD site, I received an email yesterday afternoon that was bad ass I mean it was (Trojan hoarse) it took me 15 minutes to clean the mess up with spyware!

The site was something like DVDVDD or DDVDD something like that, I can’t remember, expect don’t click on for god sakes!

Knew two victims in Florida that thought they were buying Studio Monitors, since Studio Monitor was on the cabinet. I never saw magnets so small on a 12 inch driver. The level controls were not even connected.

I found a single Theater Research tower in Goodwill for 9 bucks. I got it for the input cup and the 10 inch driver on the side, it'll make a great beater sub for my car. I feel for the people that paid 500 dollars or more. The website listed these speakers at 2000 dollars a pair. Toss this thing into 1 cu ft sealed and it's cheap boom for the road.

I also got some jiffy looking midbasses and a tweeter I can play around with. I'm always looking for drivers to screw with.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

I've got a friend who is a pilot and spends a lot of time out at his remote hanger in Sandy ,OR. The next hanger over is leased out to a couple of hicks who spend their time feverously putting together speakers. He says power screwdrivers are going all night.

So that where the "audiopile" stuff is made ?

i got scammed

THe guys got me as I was going to my car and I gave them 100 bucks and one of them accompanied me to an atm machine to get a couple of 100 more.

the interesting thing is he gave me his real cell phone number and said that he can help me set it up. I called him later and said i want refund and of course he said no. but he did mail me a copy of the magazine for me to sell, but i have no heart to sell it to others.

is there anything i can avail myself to? i do have his real cell phone number. Can i take it to the police station and have the reverse look it up? can i file a small claims court?

i know this is not a legal forum, but i wanted to see if can give me some informal advise.

thanks
    raju

Quote Originally Posted by mindset View Post
    i know this is not a legal forum, but i wanted to see if can give me some informal advise.
    What law(s) do you think they broke? They sold you a product that you agreed to buy. If you did not audition the product or inspect it before purchase, whose fault is that?

BTW: I am sorry you wasted your money and I certainly don't condone this type of business practice, but it does happen and people do send money to Nigeria... I guess you learned a lesson.

Widget

THe guys got me as I was going to my car and I gave them 100 bucks and one of them accompanied me to an atm machine to get a couple of 100 more.

the interesting thing is he gave me his real cell phone number and said that he can help me set it up. I called him later and said i want refund and of course he said no. but he did mail me a copy of the magazine for me to sell, but i have no heart to sell it to others.

is there anything i can avail myself to? i do have his real cell phone number. Can i take it to the police station and have the reverse look it up? can i file a small claims court?

thanks
    raju
    And you let a complete stranger accompany you to an ATM machine?

And once you realized you had been had, you called him that he now likely has your number? Why don't you just give him your address too so the scumbag or his buddies can come to your house and rip you off some more?

Honestly, you deserver what you got for being so stupid. You thought you were getting something for next to nothing and consciously took part in what you likely believed to be an illegal activity. Shame on you. Go cry somewhere else.

Hello, Friends,

Back "in the day", our bass player, who was one of those "something for nothing" sort of guys, got burned by a "White Van" deal. Now, here was a guy that lived around quality audio equipment 24/7, and STILL his greed got the best of him, and he was sold a pair of POS speakers, for $500, if I recall correctly!! Sure, we were all young and stupid back then. But, I, for one, would NEVER have fallen for such an outrageous situation!! I learned the words "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) very early in life, and I still live by them!! My friend pretty much got what he deserved. I was ashamed of him when he turned those crappy speakers to another friend...... no scruples, I guess. Take care, beware, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who understands that "something for nothing" is usually neither....!)
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

but he did mail me a copy of the magazine

thanks
    raju
    So you did give him your address, too. Raju, you need to tighten this up right now. Check your bank account and change your password. Now. Call your local police or visit them and explain what you did and what information you gave these guys. Ask them to keep an extra eye on your place. If you trust your neighbors, let them know you do not have any "movers" or "delivery men" scheduled to come to your place, and if they see anybody to call the police.

Finally, call your local BBB and also your state's consumer protection department. (I hope you're in a state that has one.) Report everything you know, including the guy's phone number.

You weren't smart about this, but you need to be smart going forward. Do it now.
    Out.

BTW, was this ATM one that you were familiar with or was it one they directed you to?
    Out.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    good luck to you, and be vigelent

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    What law(s) do you think they broke? They sold you a product that you agreed to buy. If you did not audition the product or inspect it before purchase, whose fault is that?
    Widget
    I'm with Widget on this one.....Absolutely detesting their scummy scam , you do have to realize that they know what they are doing (other than leaving a cell number) and they really dont leave any room to file a complaint... they also discourage filing by using the story that you are somehow getting a "hot item" at a good price..you really dont want to report that part to the police.

Far as I can see, you just purchased a lesson in life. But at least you have company, seems like many have fallen for this scam.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

new wrinkle

I was filling up at the local station when I was approached by two guys in a "white van" who had some large screen plasma or some such high-end televisions left over from an installation.

They claimed "they've already been paid for" and couldn't bring them back for credit so I could have one or all for $300 apiece.

I said, "No thanks, I've still got a pair of "Crapola" speakers that I bought 10 years ago out of the back of a white van that I can't unload."

Man, the look on their faces was priceless....and no, I didn't buy the "Crapolas"...the deal seemed too good to be true...$1000 "studio monitors" for $100.

Quote Originally Posted by 57BELAIRE View Post
    I said, "No thanks, I've still got a pair of "Crapola" speakers that I bought 10 years ago out of the back of a white van that I can't unload."

Man, the look on their faces was priceless....
    Yeah, they were thinking, "Damn, this guy ran into our dads ten years ago."

Widget

Yep, string em up, pilgrim!
    Hang 'em HIGH! scumdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I'm with Widget on this one.....Absolutely detesting their scummy scam , you do have to realize that they know what they are doing (other than leaving a cell number) and they really dont leave any room to file a complaint... they also discourage filing by using the story that you are somehow getting a "hot item" at a good price..you really dont want to report that part to the police.

Far as I can see, you just purchased a lesson in life. But at least you have company, seems like many have fallen for this scam.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

It's still going on...

I met a guy last week who ran into some fellows in a white van here in the SF Bay Area... he bought a "complete" HT system. 5 speakers and a receiver all branded as Genesis. He paid $300 for the "$4,000" system.

Apparently their ruse really works... with some folks at least. While in the parking lot with the Vannies, he phoned his wife at home and had her check out the provided website. Convinced he was getting a "steal" he paid them the money.

Greed! The fool got just what he deserved. He asked me what I thought the system was worth... I told him that it might be worth what he paid for it. He hopes to get his money back via CL. I'll be surprised if he succeeds... but then as P.T. Barnum is attributed to have said...

Widget

Thread Information