Two weeks ago a friend called... he was in a Home Depot parking lot where a fellow was offering him a pair of "$3500 DiVinci loudspeakers for $400." He was able to get the White Van retailers down in price from their original $400 to $100 plus a broken HP laser printer he had misrepresented as perfect... seems they are as gullible as their customers.

After having fun with them he left without completing the transaction.

Last weekend I was driving by a large pawn shop outside of Atlanta... they had a big sign proclaiming "50% off all speaker boxes". I had to stop and go in.

What I found was a pile of carpet covered home made car junk and a few cheapo Fisher et al POS cabinets, but I did get to see up close and personal not one but two complete theater in a box systems from famed White Van purveyor, Genesis Media Labs. They looked like those fake stereos that furniture stores sometimes use to demonstrate how media furniture will look... they were surprisingly cheesy looking. I was rather surprised that a pawn shop would give any money for such junk... I guess someone will buy almost anything if it's cheap enough.

Widget