Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: L300 vs. K2 S9800

L300 vs. K2 S9800

I will be auditioning a pair of the K2 S9800 speakers real soon and I'm very excited about it. I haven't heard new JBL's in many years. I currently own a pair of L300's that I bought new way back in 1976. I am very curious about what I can expect the differences to be. Has any one heard both of these speakers? The new ones are around $15,000 ea. I understand.
    Frank

There are some comments regarding the "new" and "old" JBL sound here.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ighlight=s9800

Smile Good listening

That's an excellent link provided by Andy, and if you read the whole thing, there will be some mention of the K2 S9800, the 4320, and the L300. I cited this review, where you can get the whole commentary.

http://www.ultraaudio.com/equipment/jbl_k2_s9800.htm

If I were you, I'd be very excited, too. The K2 S9800 is an awesome package. Since you've been listening to those wonderful L300s for thirty years, don't expect to fully experience the K2 S9800 in the first audition. IME, a couple of lengthy auditions are needed at a minimum to get your ears and brain acclimated to something as wonderful and different as the K2 S9800.

How anyone can give them single listen and decide they are or are not for them is beyond my ability or understanding. I do understand "love at first hearing" but like love at first sight it can have unfortunate long term consequences.

So whether you really like them or you don't quite get them at the first audition, make an effort to get a second listen soon after. You might be surprised how familiarity changes your perception one way or the other.

Also, I'd recommend that you listen to some music on the K2 S9800s that you're very familiar with on the L300s, AND some music that you've never heard on the L300s. Take that same unfamiliar music home and listen to it on your L300s to get a reverse comparison.

Either way, you're in for a treat.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 10-27-2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: clarity

I have heard both, but not in the same room. What I believe is that the L300 have a deeper and "nicer" low end ... the rest is "up to the listener". I prefer the L300 overall. But that's me.

What do you mean by "nicer" low end Rolf?

I have not heard the L300, but the S9800 in a good home setup on several ocations. They outperform everything else i have heard by far.

That said i have also heard them in a shop demo, and that was terrible....... I seems like the kind of speaker that either sounds or not.

Enjoy you audition.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    What do you mean by "nicer" low end Rolf?

I have not heard the L300, but the S9800 in a good home setup on several ocations. They outperform everything else i have heard by far.

That said i have also heard them in a shop demo, and that was terrible....... I seems like the kind of speaker that either sounds or not.

Enjoy you audition.

-Tim
    In my ears the low end sounds "better", maybe softer in a way, and it goes deeper down in frequency than the 9800.

You are right, like most large JBL's they can sound terrible, and very good in the right room with right electronics. I prefer the "old" horn sound compared to the ones in 9800, but again, that's me.

Not have truly golden ears, I'd have to say that after laying down $15000 for a pair of K2s..... even if the differences were marginal some part of my brain would be selling the other part that the K2s were a tremendous improvement!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I will be auditioning a pair of the K2 S9800 speakers real soon and I'm very excited about it.
    Neato!
    I haven't heard new JBL's in many years. I currently own a pair of L300's that I bought new way back in 1976.
    Groovy!
    I am very curious about what I can expect the differences to be.
    Don't expect anything. Just go and audition them. Why would you come here first and get a head full of polluted thoughts? You don't want to care what anyone else thinks beforehand. The discussion comes after you've listened to both.
    Has any one heard both of these speakers?
    Yeah, quite a few of us have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    I prefer the L300 overall. But that's me.
    Well the L300 and 4333 always were fun systems. The audiophiles sneered at them but who cares about those people unless you have a ton of $10,000 wire to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Well the L300 and 4333 always were fun systems. The audiophiles sneered at them but who cares about those people unless you have a ton of $10,000 wire to sell.

Well I'll be having my audition this coming Thursday and I'm really looking forward to it. I have had my L300's since new. I bought them new back in 1978. I have had the woofers reconed the last year with the 2235 kits and also the 077 diaphrams replaced with the 2405 kits. All work done by an authorized JBL service center in Philadelphia. One diaphram went bad so I had them both done. Also last year I replaced all the caps in the crossover with Solen polypropylene. I had a bad one in the 077 circuit so I decided to do them all. Wow. what a difference! Big improvement across the board. I understand the k2 touts Solen in their crossovers. These L300's have never sounded better so I'm really looking forward to the comparison. By the way, the K2's are $15,000 apiece!
    I'll be bringing CD's that are very familiar for the audition.
    We'll see how the L300's do after all these years. If I'm impressed enough with them I have no problem spending the money. I also want to audition the B&W 800 series also.

Obsolete
    By the way, the K2's are $15,000 apiece!
    Yeah, that's a show stopper for alot of people.
    I understand the k2 touts Solen in their crossovers.
    Yeah, charge-coupled Solens as do the Everest II and a few other higher end JBL systems.
    Well I'll be having my audition this coming Thursday and I'm really looking forward to it.
    Well, let us know what you think.

I'll be bringing CD's that are very familiar for the audition.
    I know this is common practice, and it's a good one as far as it goes.

In addition, let me reiterate that you'd be well served to take some CDs that are highly regarded for their music and their mastering that you are not familiar with. Play a few tracks at least from these on the K2s, then take them home and listen to them on your L300s.

Have a great time!

Well I just got back from my audition of the K2's. To begin with they do not go as deep in the bass as my L300's, Not even close. A subwoofer would be a must for my taste. Much more bass definition and impact with the L300's too. Got to love those 2235's!!(reconed 136A's). The K2's sounded very restrained in the midrange also. Vocals and lead instruments seem to have been somewhat in the background compared to what I'm used to with my L300's. Very evident in Stevie Ray Vaughn's solo in "First We Take Manhattan" on Jennifer Warnes' great album "Famous Blue Raincoat". I must say however that the tweeter in the K2's is about the finest I have ever heard from JBL. Overall the L300's are much more alive and exciting in most every respect.
    The K2's are very smooth and the engineers at JBL seem to have gone out of their way not to offend anyone with this sound but in doing so the K2's have earned the a description of "sedate" in my book.

Obsolete
    Nice! You just saved yourself a bag of bucks.

The K2's are very smooth and the engineers at JBL seem to have gone out of their way not to offend anyone with this sound but in doing so the K2's have earned the a description of "sedate" in my book.
    Yes, G.T. designed both the L300/4333 and the K2-S9800 for their intended markets. The K2-S9800 really does need some EQ on the bottom end to fill it out for N.A. audiences.

Well, that's not surprising. You've enjoyed your L300s for years and years and listened to music that you're very familiar with; you're not likely to embrace a different sound immediately if ever. At least you satisfied yourself that you prefer what you've had all this time. That's money saved for sure.

It'd be interesting to have someone who's lived with the K2 S9800s for a while (and never heard an L300) try some of his/her favorite music on a pair of L300s. That's not likely to happen, at least around these parts, until you can get K2 S9800s for $5k a pair on the used market.

Thread Information