Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How Hard is to Recone a Speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    NT: It is possible. But years ago, I learned an important truth. If you want to know whether something can be done, ask an older engineer. If he says yes, believe him. If he says no, don’t believe him.

Quoted from above link

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Edge,

Do you subscribe to Voice Coil?

Ian
    Yes, Ian.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I just wish there was a reconer like Gordon sounds like he is in my backyard.
    Why waste a wish? Just send your stuff to Gordon.
    You are probably just a purest.
    Yeah, probably so. I'm purpose driven. I buy JBL transducers for a specific reason; Not so I can sit around day and night measuring all kinds of different combinations because I have no clue what to do with what I just bought and not so I can try a bunch of coils, cones and spiders in JBL cores to see what I could create on my own. And since this is a Lansing Heritage website instead of the bloody catch-all some members are hell-bent on creating the focus is naturally going to be on Lansing Heritage products, procedures, etc. If that bores anyone then perhaps they should go to a generalist website. You see, there are a whole bunch of people who come here for ONE reason and that reason is because it is specifically the Lansing Heritage website. They have absolutely, positively zero interest in NOT doing it the Lansing way. Anything else is just noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    I can't speak to the newer JBL products, but the older JBL products were built to a standard and a devotion that would be hard to instill in today's workers.
    Agreed. I sense a general apathy, or perhaps it's more of a disengagement or preoccupation with other things, that simply wasn't there years ago. Plus, I think you guys had a genuine shared passion as opposed to merely a shared profession. I admire that.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Why waste a wish? Just send your stuff to Gordon.
    I'd rather not ship

Yeah, probably so. I'm purpose driven. I buy JBL transducers for a specific reason; Not so I can sit around day and night measuring all kinds of different combinations because I have no clue what to do with what I just bought and not so I can try a bunch of coils, cones and spiders in JBL cores to see what I could create on my own. And since this is a Lansing Heritage website instead of the bloody catch-all some members are hell-bent on creating the focus is naturally going to be on Lansing Heritage products, procedures, etc. If that bores anyone then perhaps they should go to a generalist website. You see, there are a whole bunch of people who come here for ONE reason and that reason is because it is specifically the Lansing Heritage website. They have absolutely, positively zero interest in NOT doing it the Lansing way. Anything else is just noise.
    Agreed. I sense a general apathy, or perhaps it's more of a disengagement or preoccupation with other things, that simply wasn't there years ago. Plus, I think you guys had a genuine shared passion as opposed to merely a shared profession. I admire that.
    Only on this is there religion. It's OK to totally change crossovers, to change out drivers, to swap diaphragms (as long as they are JBL), to aquaplas diaphragms that weren't, to modify porting. I'm actually not advocating anything. I'm just trying to understand the mindset.

Only on this is there religion. It's OK to totally change crossovers, to change out drivers, to swap diaphragms (as long as they are JBL), to aquaplas diaphragms that weren't, to modify porting. I'm actually not advocating anything. I'm just trying to understand the mindset.
    Well, back in the "Golden Age" of JBL, we didn't have access to Thiele & Small, or have the benefits of modern materials and techniques, so some of this new stuff, when applied to older units, may improve the performance. It still needs people who know what they're doing and why.

For example, Aquaplas is wonderful for increasing the stiffness to weight ratio on most speakers, but it may not help a D130F or a D123, if you want the nice coloration these speakers provide as guitar transducers. It may (or may not) improve the sound of a D140F - I don't know.

Crossovers can certainly be tricked out to achieve flat response, but you're also messing with a lot of time constants and phase shifting. One of the best sounding systems I've ever heard was Ed May's 3 way, which just had a single capacitor per section and L pads on the mids and highs.

I'm just trying to understand the mindset.

You're not capable of that, Thom. We've beat this to death....again...and you still refuse...yes, that's right...refuse to understand.

That's because this website is entirely defined by the title...but you want it to be more than that, and it isn't.

To address the original question regarding how hard it is to recone a speaker: It depends on your skill level and your patience and practice.

It's probably easier for me than brain surgery, because I've never done brain surgery.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information