Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Hard is to Recone a Speaker?

How Hard is to Recone a Speaker?

Occasionally speakers come up on Ebay that need reconing. Normally these go for pretty cheap. I've never done a recone. How hard is it to recone speakers, particularly woofers? Can you do as good a job as shops? Finally, assuming it's done right, is a reconed speaker as good as the original?

DIY reconing

Hi, A while back I had the same thought as you. I have done many successful refoams and a few recones. It is an easy task if you have the inclination to do it. If you use genuine factory parts and take care to do a good job, the reconed speaker will be as good as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Hi, A while back I had the same thought as you. I have done many successful refoams and a few recones. It is an easy task if you have the inclination to do it. If you use genuine factory parts and take care to do a good job, the reconed speaker will be as good as the original.
    What is involved in reconing a woofer?

RIP 2009
    Also, if you plan on doing the reconing yourself, be aware that you'll have to convince an authorized repair shop, (at least for JBL), to sell you the recone kits - JBL does not sell them to the general public.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Also, if you plan on doing the reconing yourself, be aware that you'll have to convince an authorized repair shop, (at least for JBL), to sell you the recone kits - JBL does not sell them to the general public.

John
    Well, but there are ways to go beyond that. I changed the diaphragm's om 2420 myself ... worked perfectly, but I am not sure if I would try it on a woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    I have done many successful refoams and a few recones. It is an easy task if you have the inclination to do it.
    Pulling a tooth is also a simple task... I'd prefer to have an experienced professional do it... one who has had the proper training and years of experience. That said, there are sloppy practitioners of every trade.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Pulling a tooth is also a simple task... I'd prefer to have an experienced professional do it... one who has had the proper training and years of experience. That said, there are sloppy practitioners of every trade.

Widget
    Agreed! Just been to the dentist. Can't do it myself!.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Agreed! Just been to the dentist. Can't do it myself!.
    I also just went - I'll bet reconers wished they got paid like dentists! Over $900 in one hour, in my case...
    Thank God for dental insurance!

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    I also just went - I'll bet reconers wished they got paid like dentists! Over $900 in one hour, in my case...
    Thank God for dental insurance!

John
    For one hour? And I thought it is expensive here ... about $200 an hour. Not possible to insurance.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    For one hour?
    Well, it's just the amount the dental plan assigns to the procedure, whether it takes the dentist one hour or five, or whether it's simple or complicated. It was apparently easy for the dentist in my case - he definitely made out like a bandit!

John

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Occasionally speakers come up on Ebay that need reconing. Normally these go for pretty cheap. I've never done a recone. How hard is it to recone speakers, particularly woofers? Can you do as good a job as shops? Finally, assuming it's done right, is a reconed speaker as good as the original?
    Well, it can be done at home, with a modicum of skill, assuming you have a clean work area, a carpet knife, a roll of drafting tape, some acetone, some compressed air, a few manila folders to cut up, a steady hand, and a lot of patience.

I can run thru the procedure, if you're really interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    Well, it can be done at home, with a modicum of skill, assuming you have a clean work area, a carpet knife, a roll of drafting tape, some acetone, some compressed air, a few manila folders to cut up, a steady hand, and a lot of patience.

I can run thru the procedure, if you're really interested.
    Well - I'm interested, but your description makes me awfully wary that I'll ever attempt it.

Harvey, I am definitely interested!

I have four 2123's that need it. None are burned up.

I have the JBL kits, and everything you listed as needed but "drafting tape"?

I'm sure I can do it, I would be more comfortable with instruction from one with experience however.

Thank you,
    Barry.

Well, I can tell you exactly how we did it in the 60's, and maybe edgewound can help by pointing out what's changed since then. Give me a day or so to make sure I've got the steps in the right order.

Maybe these links help?

http://www.eighteensound.com/index.a...inMenu=service

http://www.stageaccompany.com/en/sup...ocs/recone.pdf

You'll waste at least one or two cone kits at the beginning. So if you want to recone 2 or 4 speakers it's absolute nonsense to try it yourself.

Thread Information