Thread: A Concert for Max Meritt

A Concert for Max Meritt

Some of you will know Max Merritt (and the Meteors).

Unfortunately Max has fallen on hard times due to illness and there will be a major benefit concert for him held at the Palais, St Kilda Australia not far from where I live.

See the link below for Max Merrit The Legend. Max currently lives at his home in LA.

In recent years, Max Merritt shared the bill with Wilson Pickett, James Brown and Ray Charles and did Australia proud.

I will be at the concert and will post some details tomorrow.

The Australian Entertainment industry has rallied in support of one of Australia’s biggest rock stars of the 1960s and 1970s, Max Merritt, who has fallen on hard times since being admitted to a U.S. hospital after suffering kidney failure.
    Things have gone from bad to worse for Max. In addition to the Goodpastures Syndrome, (he is on dialysis three days a week) he suffered a perforated bowel requiring surgery. He talked the doctors into letting him go home from hospital a week later but was there for just 36 hours before being rushed back in for emergency surgery and it was touch and go for a couple of days and they almost lost him. Max is hopeful that the Diabetes that has now also been diagnosed will not cause him any long term problems.
    With his inability to work, it appeared that Max Merritt has no way out of his predicament. Hearing of his plight, the entertainment industry rallied for the ailing Max Merritt with a Benefit "Concert For Max" on Sunday 21 October at the Palais Theatre in St Kilda.
    The 3000 seat venue will play host to a string of artists who have donated their time in support of their good friend Max Merritt including Kevin Borich, Mike Brady, Daryl Braithwaite, Joe Camilleri & The Black Sorrows, Peter Cupples, The Delltones, Jon English, Renee Geyer, Dinah Lee, Brian Mannix, Russell Morris, Marcie & The Cookies, Paul Norton, Doug Parkinson, James Reyne, Normie Rowe, George Smilovici, Spectrum, Wendy Stapleton, Swanee, Wilbur Wilde, Ross Wilson and John Paul Young and is now on sale through Ticketmaster at or on 136 100
    Speaking from his home in suburban Los Angeles, Max said "I am finding it very difficult to adequately express my appreciation for the help and support during my time of extreme personal need. Your help is absolutely overwhelming".
    As a measure of the high esteem that Max is held in, the list of supporters grows daily. Audio, lighting, video, stage gear, road crew and even backstage catering has been donated to aid Max.
    Merritt, who has lived in Los Angeles for more than 20 years, fell ill in April this year soon after he returned to America following the passing of Billy Thorpe and a tour of his native New Zealand, during which he was honoured as an inaugural inductee to the NZ Rock and Rock Hall of Fame.

http://www.maxmerritt.com.au/

My Father and Max worked together years ago when max was a humble bricklayer in Christchurch, New Zealand. I hope he's not "Slipping away"

It was a great show, with many old friends who came together for Max.

I don't think I have seen so many Australian music legends at one concert. Daryl Braithwaite was a knockout and Wendy Stapleton & Swanee were hot, James Reyne (Australian Crawl fame), Russell Morris and Ross the boss Wilson.

The production standards were a bit of a surprise. All the services were donated so I think everyone took the opportunity to wheel in their best.

I estimate the show raised $250,000+.

They were doing a pro video shoot which will no doubt end up on DVD. McLean Audio did the sound. The desk was Digico D1 and I think the FOH were EAW 750, dual arrays 10 little boxes a side and 8 subs. Sorry no JBLs at this show. The best sound I have heard at this venue .

http://www.gtaust.com/products/digico/D1_40.shtml

http://www.eaw.com/products/KF/kf700.html

There were 3 sets. During the 2nd intermission they auctioned a guitar autographed by all the featured performers, the final bid was $10,000.

Ian

Brilliant !

Hi Ian,

thanks for this thread. This kind of information really puts things in perspective. I'm not immune to self-pity, " my horns sound crap "
    I got to laugh at myself sometimes

I love to hear of real HUMANITY at work.

However , I cant find a PM from you asking for time off from the Soldering Iron !!!!!

Any chance of some photo's ?

Rich

Hi Rich,

You need to get out more.

Life would be quite boring if I was was a solding iron. Another crossover upgrade here, there, another active filter, a Pass Labs diy amp there.

Sorry, but no pics were allowed.

Seeing about one gig a week, so much talent around.

These benefit shows are the icing on the cake. Seeing James Reyne and Mark Seymour on the 2nd Nov.

http://www.princebandroom.com.au/ind...wEvent&eid=566

There have been a few benefit dig's down over the past 12 months, none as massive as this one. Glad I heard Thorpe play at Crown earlier in the year, he gone now.

http://www.thorpie.com

http://www.mushroommusic.com.au/song...ter.asp?id=107

A number of our favourite's from the 70's and 80's are fading away. From what was said last night, it hits their mates and fellow artists hardest.

Ian

Thread Information