Hey, I've got a guy here, who had me repair an Altec 802/511 from a vintage A7 (green horn, 16 ohms)... came in with a dead element.

Well, it gets interesting... the first element we put in (we used a Radian element, which seemed to get good comments wherever I looked), went open-circuit within two weeks of installation. We got a second element, and it seemed to be OK-- but now (several months later) the customer called back, and said that it was buzzing and crackling... the same one. The other speaker still has its original element, in good shape, so I don't think he's overly abusing them...

Apart from the usual ancillary issues (amplifier oscillation problems on one problem, etc), can anyone tell me how subject the Altec A7 crossovers are to cap shorts and such? I've seen people blow caps to bits, but that's usually obvious- if it looks like the aftermath of lighting a bunch of ladyfingers, then... . But this- everything LOOKS OK, and even SOUNDS OK when a good element is installed... it just seems to eat elements.

Or, am I possibly dealing with a mechanical issue? Alignment, torque, etc?

Any clues? Any issues with Radian elements? Anything better I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Regards,
Gordon.