Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference between Olympus C50 S7R and S8R?

Difference between Olympus C50 S7R and S8R?

Hello,

I inherited a few years ago some JBL C50 Olympus speakers but I'm not sure if they are S7R's or S8R's? I reviewed all the manuals and the catalog I have and cant find an exact match. The information pack that looks like it came with the speakers says "C50 WX W/ Pris, COS S8". Here is where it gets fun. It does not have the 075 tweeter, from what I can tell it has an 077 slot tweeter (I couldn't find a close up of the 077 anywhere, mine looks like a slot with a prism in the middle of it?). I'm not sure if this is an upgraded S8 then?

One thing I know the S8 has is the N7000 crossover board which I can not locate on my speaker. Is it supposed to be mounted to the back or is it inside the cabinet? I couldn't find a picture of the back of an S8 anywhere to verify. I would imagine that if my speaker has any super tweeter then it would have to have a crossover to manage it so it would seem likely to have it.

If anyone could shed some light to help me verify that it is an S8 please let me know.

Also I am looking to sell the pair so if you have some insight on how much it is worth, assuming I am right about it being an upgraded S8. They are in excellent shape, very few issues, everything looks to be easily repaired by the future owner. I can specify in more detail and post pictures if it will help.

Thanks again for your help!

Hello,

S7R = LE15A, PR15, LE85,
    S8R = LE15A, PR15, 375, 075

look here

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...73-c50-c60.htm

I think you have a S7R system, which an upgrade with a 077.
    If we knew what midrange is built, we could say accurate.

regards
    juergen

OK I just came across a close up of the 077 tweeter and that is what I have. Still don't know about the whereabouts of the N7000 though?

Any chance there is a visual cue from the outside to spot the difference of the 375 and LE85? Where is the midrange anyway, I don't see it on the front?

Quote Originally Posted by rs237 View Post
    Hello,

S7R = LE15A, PR15, LE85,
    S8R = LE15A, PR15, 375, 075

look here

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...73-c50-c60.htm

I think you have a S7R system, which an upgrade with a 077.
    If we knew what midrange is built, we could say accurate.

regards
    juergen

Follow the connection cables from the 077 and you will find.

regards
    juergen

Ok so I have to open it up to see, I was hoping to avoid that If I remove the horn from the front can I pull the driver through the front or do I have to open the case?

Quote Originally Posted by ifeldman View Post
    Any chance there is a visual cue from the outside to spot the difference of the 375 and LE85? Where is the midrange anyway, I don't see it on the front?

From the outside can tell the difference is very difficult to detect.The midrange horn is located behind the acoustic lens (diagonally standing slats). It could be the length of the horn outside to measure and identify the driver. The Horn for the 375 is shorter than the horn for LE85.
    regards
    juergen

Quote Originally Posted by ifeldman View Post
    Ok so I have to open it up to see, I was hoping to avoid that If I remove the horn from the front can I pull the driver through the front or do I have to open the case?

No, the driver is bigger than the opening for the horn. Furthermore, the driver in the cab still attached.

regards
    juergen

the easy way

Look ma - no tools.

Remove the lens that is in front of the horn. If it's really old, it might have 4 small screws.

If the distance to the first "seam" where the driver bolts on is about 4 inches, it's a 375.

If the distance to the first "seam" where the driver bolts on is about 7 inches, it's a 175/275.

sub

Also I am looking to sell the pair so if you have some insight on how much it is worth, assuming I am right about it being an upgraded S8. They are in excellent shape, very few issues, everything looks to be easily repaired by the future owner. I can specify in more detail and post pictures if it will help.
    - No insight on market worth from me, but

Ok so I have to open it up to see, I was hoping to avoid that. If I remove the horn from the front can I pull the driver through the front or do I have to open the case?
    - You need to provide good to great pics of all the actual components to get the best price on eBay or elsewhere ( so eventual removal of all components is recommended / therefore why not get at it now ? ) .

- Removing the PR15 ( the 15" with the pleated surround ) should be easy enough to start with. That'll allow enough access for a good look around / enough to see if it's the short-horn with the 375 or the longer horn with the le85 .

Think I would try to remove the crossover in the back of the cabinet first. 4 little screws. It should slip out far enough that you can see whats inside.

Then look on ebay and find the JBL le85 driver, and the JBL 375 driver. Those are your 2 options.

The additional crossover should be right next to the one you can see. If there is only one visible crossover, my guess is that it is an S7 updated with the slot/prism tweeter.

I am not aware of these speakers coming with the 077.

Hi, based on your moniker are you, or were you, related to Len Feldman?

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Hi, based on your moniker are you, or were you, related to Len Feldman?
    Whoa, Deju vue!
    I just bought a HK CD changer from FenBeldman!!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information