Thread: LE15A re foam

LE15A re foam

I've refoamed a couple of lansings now without a problem but now I have a pair of LE15A. A parrot ate some of one of the surrounds. The surrounds are not hard and crumbling or soft They are hard as old leather. I have used a razor blade in the past, it hardly seems up to this task. A box knife may remove the cork gaskets but if I leave the surround layer on the cone will this cause me trouble? It seems like you could make more difference in depth by where you position the surround (they don't come with lines drawn on them) then this thickness would make. Trying to remove this layer without skinning the cone is almost impossible. This is the first time I've had this problem but I haven't done dozens of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    . . . . A parrot ate some of one of the surrounds. . . .
    . . . . more information than I really needed.

You can soften it with acetone--Moderately! Do a test patch to see what you are working with. Then it will pull off in strips with a little encouragement of a knife blade at the parting.

I read about the acetone trick here on these forums and tested the idea on an LE10 whose cone was already wrecked. What I still have not tested is whether acetone that may stay in the cone fibers, no matter how little, will affect the adherence of glues, as some here have expressed concern brake fluid might do. So you need to test that before you go ahead with this. Be aware that any of these chemical experiments can lead to the need to recone, which might be the sensible thing to do anyway, especially for the LE15A.

David

Ken ( edgewound ) had mentioned that "acetone" can be used to soften up old, rock hard LansaLoy / enabling it to be peeled away ( bit by bit ) from a cones' fragile edge.

I would try this first , if in your shoes .

ps ; see Daves' more in deph thoughts on the subject .

Thank you. I wondered if acetone might work. I cant imagine acetone staying in the cone fibers, or anywhere else, very long. It won't even stay in the can, if you don't get the cap tight enough.

scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Thank you. I wondered if acetone might work. I cant imagine acetone staying in the cone fibers, or anywhere else, very long. It won't even stay in the can, if you don't get the cap tight enough.
    Acetone definitely won't stay there, but it might trnsfer some of the plasticizers from the surround, this shouldn't affect glue bonding but might leave slight stains.

Thread Information