Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: new loudspeaker cable

Connectors can become oxidized over time, and oxidation causes resistance to rise, this can be partially what you are hearing too!

I guess if you cleaned the old connectors and then A/Bed them against the new gold plated connectors, and see what differences you hear then?
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I always thought leaving the AC plugs on would allow you to connect them direct to the source, i.e., the power grid. :shock:
    It does, and the results can be impressive. They will generally impress you not to leave the AC plugs on when you wire your new speakers.

Interesting article by Roger Russell of McIntosh.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JSF13 View Post

Fascinating articles that confirm much of what I've always thought. Thanx.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

yes. ive read that before. it is a good read. still doesnt address the fact that high quality connections materials, copper, etc cost more, and you pay a huge markup for craftsmanship. All these things add up to a "better" cable.

I had HUGE improvements when i overspent on a set of MAC Palladiums (pure palladium interconnects). The difference was very obvious to me, and I was using more expensive cables retail pricewise before.

I think ZMC is sweet hookup wire. Love the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JSF13 View Post

It's sweet to see some of my old Home Depot wire pictured there. In that case, I think the sheathing sure made a difference. Even though it sounded the same as when new, the fact that it was green and the sheathing got super stiff was enough to get it out of the system.

I did see a gradual impedance rise as it "aged." However, it was nowhere near being too high when I yanked it out for better looking wires.

I still use it sometimes on tertiary systems when I've got nothing else available. I don't throw much away. :dont-know

Hers is another place for good wire. I use the 12 and 10 ga. 10 for outside
    long runs. 100ft
    http://www.knukonceptz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever View Post
    Hers is another place for good wire. I use the 12 and 10 ga. 10 for outside
    long runs. 100ft
    http://www.knukonceptz.com/

Great link! That looks great -- not from a marketing standpoint, but from a quality/guage standpoint. gonna have to see what other goodies they have.

thanks

spwal

Two AWG14 Teflon/Silver Wire spiral wound by hand. Banana connectors on both sides. Bingo!

app. 15 Euro for 3 meter. I know nothing better.

Taken from Amazon website:

Product Description
    Never Use Bare Speaker Wire Without Connectors, Speaker wire is made from copper wire that can corrode very quickly, rapidly deteriorating the performance of your cables and the overall performance of your system. To avoid this, always terminate your speaker wire with connectors. The kind of connector you need varies with the kinds of connectors on the back of your amp/receiver and your speakers. Monster's QuickLock connector system is the fastest, easiest way to install the right connector to your speaker cable for maximum performance and reliability.

Boy, ain't that the truth !!...sometimes when I get bored, I sit and watch how fast copper wire corrodes.. Its like ....wow !!!

26 Gauge Magnet Wire

I have seen this recommendation several times. I use systems that are 98 to 100 dB/watt/1m, so I am leaning toward giving it a try. This is the best explanation I could find on short notice:
    [Steve Schell]
    Here we go with another cable discussion... wheee! For a long time now, I have been using 26 gauge copper magnet wire for speaker cable. It is extremely light and thin, and I attach it to the ceiling with bits of clear transparent tape. Yes, I realize this sounds crazy, but I am running fully horn loaded 105dB+ sensitive speakers, so current capacity is not really an issue. This wire imparts great clarity and naturalness to the system compared to others I have tried, especially thick, complex audiophile cables.

I'd steer clear of the heavy stranded, clear jacket "monster" type cables, from whatever source. In my past experience, this stuff rapidly becomes sticky, the jacket yellows, and the copper strands turn green. For the long runs required in your installation, simple two conductor solid (not stranded) Romex type house wiring in 12 or 14 gauge may work as well as anything, and the cost is reasonable.
    I kept the last part in the quote to back up some things mentioned earlier in this thread. Here is another great reply by Steve about what wire can do:http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...04&postcount=3

I would appreciate any elaboration anyone could supply about using thin wire for transducers drawing little current.

I am the lone ranger around my audio circle about expensive cable and power cords. Either I am deaf or my friends are hearing things that are not there. (Either is possible!) I believe in twisted pair, or even better braided three conductor (like Kimber) for low level signal patch cords. But as to the purity of copper, well... One of the effects of some impurities in copper can be increased conductivity. That would be a good thing.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Either I am deaf or my friends are hearing things that are not there.
    A well respected guy at a pro-sound site that I hang out recently said something very sensible, (IMHO), talking about supposed listening differences between various electronics:

"I'm with the pocket protector crowd in thinking if a mere human can hear something, it can easily be measured with the proper test. So the work involved is identifying what test."

John

JBL 4645
    I remember seeing heavy duty electrical cable at the Warner Village cinema at Bristol’s 12 screen multiplex when I worked there during 1998. Now then it’s not as costly as some loudspeaker cable where there changing preposterous figures for 1m! Yeah I would go spare if someone ripped me off, what are they called Snake oil? Sounds like something from Escape from New York “call me snake.”

At the moment I’m using “Gale SYMPHONY 100” at 0.69p a metre.

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=GALE-SYMPHONY-100

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    i got realy tired by the continues discussion on loudspeaker cables.

So do I. But I'd say there is something to it - different cables that is - because I have heard improvements between cables, but they don't need to be expensive. I don't think one can reliably predict what cable will sound very good between which amp and speakers; it's a hit or miss thing at best.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    what kind of cable do you guys use.
    XLO Ultra 6 to 4412's. Seems that these speakers like this cable over others I've used.

Thread Information