Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jbl 2242

500hz a key area of vocal harmonics?

I'm not sure of the message intended here. I understand some folks look at not crossing over at certain frequencies due to resultant output.

I run my 2226's full out(except a single coil .7 mh to trim rising midrange response) and they are 20db down at 2khz(per Pi speaker forum).

I run my 1" compression drivers with 3rd order (18db/oct @ 1.6khz) and use passive HF compensation(2 resistors and cap).

I have heard from some that the 2226 is horrible at reproducing music up to 1.6khz, but I have enjoyed the sound quality that system delivers.

No, it will not match that of a "High-end" JBL system, but very musical to listen to. By the way, that system is basically a "4 Pi-pro" system(Wayne Parham).

So are you telling me that 500hz 1st order on the 2242HPL is a bad thing???

Ron

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57
    I'm not sure of the message intended here.
    I'm looking for reactions to the article.
    Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57
    Let's see what everyone has to say.

Ron;
    - That would seem to be the unstated suggestion .

- I'd try it anyways ( you've already got the significant parts ) - see if it does or doesn't sound correct / then try to do a forensic analysis over why ( one way or another ) .

Re; coil values . Here's a useful formula :

Coil Value = 159 x ( the AC impedance at desired xover point ) divided by desired Xover point ( in hertz - not Kilohertz )

NOTE: You need to obtain the AC impedances for the area you intend this coil to work in - or - you can just accept the empirical "trial & error method .

- so ;( 159 x 7 ) / 500 = 2.226 mh
    - since your are most likely dealing with a rising midband response, you'll probably want a bigger coil value ( personally, I'd be thinking of doubling the value ) .

Giskard;
    I'm looking for reactions to the article.
    The article is well written and certainly underscores why attention to minimal dissruption in this frequency area is important ( especially for faithful reproduction of female voices ) - tyically male voices do get more inherent support from music and therefore get off a little easier when "dissrupted" .

- I still vividly remember crossing my 2482/2350 combo over at 500 hz Butterworth ( for a few months back in 1978 ) with my 5234 crossover. There was an obvious increase in "articulation" or "consonant content" with the Beatles "tribute" band that I was mixing .Those vocals were all over the "dissruption" range. I'm not going to bother doing the "Forensic" as to why it worked better - I'll leave that to others to suffer through and balance out all the seemingly endless list of pros & cons. Oh, horn-loaded mids ( 2220a in 4560s ).
    - Still, ultimately, based on power handling concerns I moved the point back to 800 hz .

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images

- The above pic is of a studio monitor made by Meyers that uses a 500hz crossover point .

Obsolete
    Don't they make hotdogs or something?

2242's

I think mine will be used as subs(80hz cutoff) below the Edgarhorn midbass. I have 2 sub woofer plate amps that are sitting around collecting dust I can use.

I still will have a 500hz crossover for the Edgarhorns. The upper limit of the 80hz midbass horn is close to 500hz, and 1st order crossover will be used.

Ron

Thread Information