Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best MHF, HF, UHF JBL driver-horn combinations?

Obsolete
    You will probably have to go active with that kind of arrangement.

It probably isn't a very good combo.

We looked at something similar for Project May and in the end we concluded that G.T. was right - "won't work".

If you can find a ten-inch driver that goes down to around 80 Hz really well and then bring in the 2245H below that you might like it. The 2122H will do it but not really well, it starts getting a wee bit uncomfortable under high drive as the VC leaves the gap. Too bad the LE10H isn't more efficient. Maybe a 2251J. I can't recommend the 1200FE enough. Too bad JBL doesn't like to sell them. This forum would do well to buy a hundred of them and pass them around.

You have a horn that can get you down bellow 1K with good loading. I would take advantage of it. I use a 2123 with a 2435 on PTH1010s and like it but I wouldn't go that way with the 9800 horn. I would be looking at the 1200Fe or Le14H-3's or 1500's to run up to the horn. I would be thinking a 2 way with the best woofer I could get my hands on.

I have a second set up where I want to try running the PTH1010 lower with a 800Hz crossover point. I will be using LE-14H-3 don't know if the PTH will make it down there or not. In LEAP it looks like I can make it happen but I am not so sure where the horn sensitivity will drop in or how it's going to sound. I know waveguides are not the same as horns as far a loading but I am a little concerned how it will all shake out. A 9800 or a Performance series Horn would be just the ticket and load the driver better as well.

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 10-13-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Update after a look at LEAP

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    It has been said to me, by someone I respect, that the 476Be on the Everest horns sound absolutely incredible. I believe it.
    I've been listening to them again over the last week or so and they are good. I would say they are the first JBLs I've heard that are as smooth as the good TADs. I still don't get on with the speaker as a whole, but that is probably due to poor setup as much as the cabinet. The 476be is however quite a step forward objectively from what I hear.

Thread Information