Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best MHF, HF, UHF JBL driver-horn combinations?

Paging Giskard, we need you!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Giskard would know for sure, lets ask him.
    Or you could look it up like I did.

David

Ive been trying and cant find it. Where is it?

Like I said, if Im wrong, I stand corrected. But now Im curious.
    scottyj

I found it. Im wrong, it is neo. I thought it was alnico, but only the woofers.

Dave, you are right, it is neodymium.

scottyj

Obsolete
    The 476Be, 435Be and 045Be use neodymium.

Double post. Delete mine if you want.

Thank you, sir.
    scottyj

In case anyone is considering a purchase, here is the URL for the Owner's Manual:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Ow...0(English).pdf

Page 15 has a labeled drawing of the 476Be.

David

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I might tend to think that the reason JBL would replace/swap drivers if you blow a 476Be, is because Beryllium is a highly toxic substance. If you shatter the Be diaphragm, then there is Beryllium dust, and this is what you must avoid inhaling.

Its safer for them to send you a new driver, you send them yours, and THEY replace the diaphragm under proper conditions.
    The TAD's shatter which is a source of amusement at JBL. The JBL's are foil and don't shatter.

I didnt know that. I assumed that since you can shatter older diaphragms, as well as other brand diaphragms, these could too.

In any event, I would guess that would be a source of amusement about the TAD phragms, however, I have never come close to blowing a TAD driver. It would probably be ungodly loud for it to happen. I never had a problem with tweeters, comp drivers and 15in woofers, I rarely blew any.

As reliability goes, both TAD and JBL have worked well for me, but, I prefer the sound of JBL, so I use JBL compression drivers.

Still, I think its an extremely high level of service offered to Everest owners that in the event they do blow a 476, JBL swaps out the driver for a new one. That represents Premium Service and support.
    scottyj

I would expect if you mean dropping a driver would shatter the diaphragm that that sort of force would mess up the structure anyway.

By shatter, I mean the diaphragms used to shatter like a window does when a baseball hits its it and goes through. The old Aluminum diaphragms were prone to shattering if overdriven hard. But, you really had to abuse the for it to happen. I never had the problem, some concerts did, and some nightclubs did. Then, Titanium diaphragms resolved this, they didnt shatter. That was one of the things they would tell you when they first came onto the market, and why they were better than Aluminum.

Now that Giskard has told us the 476Be phragms are foil, I would imagine they are quite fragile, and not meant to be handled in their raw state by the inexperienced? Seems logical to me, but, whatever is the case, whomever is fortunate enough to own JBL,s STATEMENT speaker, gets STATEMENT service. I applaud them for that!

It has been said to me, by someone I respect, that the 476Be on the Everest horns sound absolutely incredible. I believe it.

I have tried many things on the market, and of all things, JBL is still the best for quite a few things.

scottyj

russians beat us there too....

I have a bag of blown diaphrams in the shop that I saved from the hundreds that accumulated over the years and the aluminum dia's had the best shattering pattern I have ever seen. Of the very few titaniums that were toast, it usually was a crack on a crease or the edge since the force to crack the metal was much more that the force ( energy ) required to burn or fuse open the voice coil.

Being a poor sound company when tads were first introduced meant they were never seen, heard, serviced or used by the vast majority of the industry folk I dealt with save for the few "goldcard" PA's that were financed by daddy when a rich kid graduated from college.

A history on titanium:

The soviet MIG29 was the first mass production jet fighter with a primarily titanium frame AND wing superstructure. It scared the SHIT out of the west when it surpassed all the ceiling and thrust/weight specs for our jets.

The fact that the USSR had the largest ore reserves ( on hand and from client states ) and so many "scientists" on the payroll meant they had the technology to smelt, roll, engineer and form all types of titanium and this "surplus" material came into the world market right after the ruble ( and the entire eastern bloc ) collapsed in 1989.

Gee isn't it funny that so many titanium consumer and pro components came online then??

Never underestimate capitalism..

As soon as the ability to roll + form titanium sheets became standard fare nearly every pro driver manufacturer went in that direction. Going from 10 watts to 100 is a big deal when R+D actually meets production.

NOW we are seeing the similar movement towards the other exotic metals ( IE: Be ) and the technology to form them. The fact that TAD was "first" with production using their "deposited" technique meant they garnered the critical ear component of the pro / studio industry.

BUT that was then and NOW that Nd magnets are in every computer, Ipod, Cellphone, etc on the planet, and metal forming methods are now very mature, JBL has put all of these together into the newer products that simply blow away the older stuff on many levels.

I love the sound of my old 2440's in the big 2 ways BUT....I can't argue with progress.

A pair of Be 2435Be's on ebay for 450.00 ?? You can't even go *near* replacement dia's for the old drivers for that!

OK..enough beer spewing...

Maybe this weekend I will take a picture of the blown Al dia's I have in the shop and finally get the examples of the Ring rad types off to john for measurement...

sub

Ive seen shattered aluminum phragms, but I never did it myself.

But I have blown a few 18,s from time to time.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    Maybe this weekend I will take a picture of the blown Al dia's ...

sub

hello sub,

2441 blown dia.

regards
    juergen

ps Someone has been blown Be Dias seen?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just an idea!

I'm thinking about a 2245, 2123 or 2122 and 2435 / h9800 .

feedback welcome

Rich

Thread Information