Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best MHF, HF, UHF JBL driver-horn combinations?

Best MHF, HF, UHF JBL driver-horn combinations?

What is the best JBL MH driver-horn combination in your esteemed opinions?

How about HF UHF driver-horn combination?

Thanks

Lar

Obsolete
    476BE on the Everest II horn, or the H4338 (JBL 4338 system) or H9800 (JBL K2-S9800 system). The 435BE would be second choice. And you don't really need a UHF unless you have extraordinary hearing.

Other choices would be the compression driver and horn combinations in the Array Series, SK2-1000 and the K2-S5800.

These days, I find myself attracted to JBL,s neo magnet dual 8in cone mids horn loaded, and their 2451 neo magnet 1.5in titanium diaphragm driver on a waveguide.

Very dynamic, very clean, can take some real power.

Works quite well with todays digital sources. IMHO.

I have heard that the 476Be on the Everest Horn is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE! But, lets say one really wants to purchase them, they are over $3000 each for the drivers alone. It doesnt make them any less incredible, just more out of reach to most.

However, with todays digital sources, I really find myself liking fast, snappy, horn loaded cone midrange. On the proper waveguide, that 2451 is NO slouch either!
    scottyj

Hello Lar

What do you have in mind?? It would help as there are one hell of a lot of possible combinations. Some may work for you others won't. What have you heard that you like. I will give you a couple of combinations I have used.

A 2435 on a PTH1010 Waveguide with a 10" 2123 midrange

A 2425/2426 on a 2344 100x100 CD Horn with a 10" 2123/2122 midrange or a single 8" 2118 or a pair of 2118's for an MTM

The 10" 2122 midrange, 2307 Horn with a 2425/2426 Compression driver and 2405/077 Tweeter combination used in the 4344 using the new equivalent 4344 crossover developed by Giskard.

All of those combinations can sound damn nice once you take the time to set them up. None of them are really plug and play as with anything to get the best out of it you have to work at it. I think the best of the lot is a combination using the berylium 2435 but the others can work real well as your mains. I can listen to any one of them all day with no issues.

If you are having a problem with all the driver parts number look here to help you out.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/obsolete.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...p/pro-comp.htm

There are also many current drivers to choose from.

Rob

Switcherood to DIY

Thanks to all for the info so far.

Just wanting to get a feel for what is out there JBL wise for drivers and horns.

To tell the truth JBL was always a bit out my price range until recently; except for some 077s and 3105s I added onto my Altec Valencias way back in the last millenium (Some 2404s recently). Guess I want to graduate to a complete JBL system now that I can afford it, lol.

I supposed that 3000 dollars + for the 476BE drivers alone seems high but when you consider the cost of an Everest system at 30,000 each it doesn't seem so high anymore. A person with a good wood working shop could fabricate horns that would work as well as the ones used in the Everest and wood look better, at least to my eyes.

Going to have to do my homework it seems but at least I have somewhere to begin.

Where does JBL list the 476BE drivers? I've looked over both of their sites and couldn't seem to track them down.

Thanks

Lar

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondsouled View Post
    Where does JBL list the 476BE drivers? I've looked over both of their sites and couldn't seem to track them down.
    As soon as they show up on the Harman Japan website they are available. I know a pallet full of them left Northridge for Japan a few months ago. It appears that JBL is going to replace whole units as opposed to offering just the diaphragms if warranty repair is needed. I think some forum members are using the 2452, 2435, or 435BE in the interim.
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondsouled View Post
    I supposed that 3000 dollars + for the 476BE drivers
    No comment at this time. We'll see what Harman Japan lists them at.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    No comment at this time. We'll see what Harman Japan lists them at.
    Harman Japan! What use is that?

JBL targets Japan as THEIR primary high end market, so, even though the 476Be may eventually get listed on the Japanese website, it will still be hard to get here. And I really cant see the price coming down much either, Beryllium diaphragm + Alnico magnet = HIGH EXPENSE!

scottyj

"It appears that JBL is going to replace whole units as opposed to offering just the diaphragms if warranty repair is needed"

I suppose there is a method in their madness ($$$$$) or it could just be more of the same throw away mentality that afflicts manufacture these days.

I've heard that old computers and computer parts are making up a surprisingly high percentage of our garbage stream already. Of course no one will be throwing out their blown 476BEs any time soon, they'll wait until someone comes out with a replacement pragm and then sell them on eBay for big $$$$, lol. I think you'd really have to go out of your way to blow one in the first place. The Everest system is rated at 500 watts max. correct? You'd have to really flub a hook up or something to fry a driver.

Lar

I might tend to think that the reason JBL would replace/swap drivers if you blow a 476Be, is because Beryllium is a highly toxic substance. If you shatter the Be diaphragm, then there is Beryllium dust, and this is what you must avoid inhaling.

Its safer for them to send you a new driver, you send them yours, and THEY replace the diaphragm under proper conditions.
    scottyj

"I might tend to think that the reason JBL would replace/swap drivers if you blow a 476Be, is because Beryllium is a highly toxic substance. If you shatter the Be diaphragm, then there is Beryllium dust, and this is what you must avoid inhaling.

Its safer for them to send you a new driver, you send them yours, and THEY replace the diaphragm under proper conditions."

That makes good sense. So there is the good possibility that there will be a core value for them.

Many chassis have cadmium plating on them which is another baddie. A lot of people sand, grind, and polish their chassis without knowing that there could be health issues.

Lar

As I said, Be is a very toxic substance when manufacturing and when they shatter there is dust. The solid diaphragm is safe, but I would imagine the company doesnt want people handling a potentially dangerous item.

If you blew one, JBL could send you the new driver, and they take your driver, and repair it, and use that as the next replacement driver for the next person who blows one. The cores dont go bad.

In addition, since the Everest is JBL,s PREMIUM Statement Flagship speaker, I would also think that customers who spend that much money to own them get special service from JBL. Just like when you buy a Rolls Royce, the customer services are higher standard and more personalized then what you get when you buy a $30,000 Nissan.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    . . . . Beryllium diaphragm + Alnico magnet = HIGH EXPENSE!
    Isn't it neo?

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Isn't it neo?
    I think they used alnico in the 476Be.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I think they used alnico in the 476Be.
    It's neodymium. The 1501Al woofer is Alnico.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    It's neodymium. The 1501Al woofer is Alnico.

David
    Are you sure? In one post, Greg Timbers once said that alnico was the best sounding magnet, and ferrite was lousy. This speaker system is JBL,s Flagship, and I think I remember him posting it was an alnico magnet and Be diaphragm. If Im wrong Ill stand corrected, but, I really think the compression driver uses alnico too.

Giskard would know for sure, lets ask him.
    scottyj

Thread Information