Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the JBL 2206H ok for HIFI ?

Niklas Nord
    Have you tried the 2202?
    I cant imagine why the 2206 should be bad..
    The response curve looks nice.
    And the 2206 has more xmax and lover distorsion

I have 2206's in my system
    and I can tell you that they work damn good as midbass
    from 150 to 800Hz . . .
    . . . simply one of th best speakers that JBL have ever made . . .

Niklas Nord
    Thank you for your response..

JBL 2206

In a properly tuned ported enclosure you can get very good results with the 2206 in home Hi-Fi applications!

They can handle power very well, and give good midbass and bass response, but 800Hz is about the highest I would cross them over at!

If your looking for a home system that can be pushed hard, and still maintain low distortion the 2206 will be a good choice!

Thumbs up Mike Caldwell

Originally posted by mikebake
    Hey Mike Caldwell ... Your name looks familiar.
    Lest we have lost our Links...

Vintage Audio Sales
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog View Post
    I would not recommend for hi-fi. A better choice would be 2202A/H or D131.

This message comes from JBL Dog
    I have used both drivers in high quality music playback systems and it is absolutely no contest. The 2206 might just be the best low-mid speaker ever made. I currently use them in a 4-way system to cover the range of 75-1200 Hz and they are simply faultless. Fast, flat, very even coverage across the entire range and output capability that is hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Artysan View Post
    I have used both drivers in high quality music playback systems and it is absolutely no contest. The 2206 might just be the best low-mid speaker ever made. I currently use them in a 4-way system to cover the range of 75-1200 Hz and they are simply faultless. Fast, flat, very even coverage across the entire range and output capability that is hard to believe.
    I've been out of the DIY game for quite a while, but I still have a pair of 2206s I plan to deploy under a pair of SAM1HFs. On paper the 2206 looks pretty darned hard to beat!

So, in your 4-way... ported or sealed? What volume are you using?

Widget

I use 2206h as a rearfiring midbass in my bipoles- it's a great midwoof, and can even be run unfiltered if you want a "minimalist XO" type of speaker. The "don't run it above...." advice above mostly applies to people using it as a multiway woofer, if you plan to XO to a horn, you can run it much higher since some directionality is desireable.

Obviously there are a lot of varying opinions here, but in my new 4 way (DSP) system, my mileage is that the 2206 is fantastic from 75 to about 300 or 400 where, above that, I prefer using the 10" 2123. I am a nut for an articulate midrange. I listen extensively to vocal recordings and the 2206 when asked to go above about 400, sounds (to me) slower than the 2123. I think your use of the 2206 depends on your expectations. As you can see, may guys on here think it works just fine a lot higher than I do.

I have only had these cabinets a few weeks, but I can already tell that once I get the time to tune the PEQs, that this system has some real potential. You can see my Reference System (Linkwitz LX521) next to the JBL's. Also, this pic shows the TAD 4001 which was bested by my JBL 2446Be's.

Paul
    Name:  IMG_6866.jpg
Views: 3382
Size:  134.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Champster View Post
    Obviously there are a lot of varying opinions here...
    You think?

I quite like the 2122 in the 4345... I know what you're getting at. It's been over a year since I posted on this thread and still haven't picked up a driver or test mic!

Also, this pic shows the TAD 4001 which was bested by my JBL 2446Be...
    Interesting, can you elaborate? The TD-4001 is a significantly older design, perhaps the 2446's newer phase plug design gives it an edge?

I'd love to hear your assessment of the differences.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Interesting, can you elaborate? The TD-4001 is a significantly older design, perhaps the 2446's newer phase plug design gives it an edge?

I'd love to hear your assessment of the differences.Widget
    Ok, you asked...

To first decide which CD I wanted to use (JBL 2446 Ti, JBL 2446 Be or TAD 4001 Be), I played a few recordings that a buddy and I recorded (I was his assistant) which included an organ at Balboa Park and some vocals and simple instrumentals recorded in his house. From a Compact Disc, I used them to play through my system which is a TEAC transport to a miniDSP 4x10Hd to a pair of ATI 1506 amps. All recordings are pure with no EQ or editing using a variety of high quality microphones.

To begin with, I used just the 2123 and the CD. One channel at a time switching back and forth a hundred times. In the miniDSP, I only adjusted the time delay without any PEQ adjustments and finally settled on a 900hz 24db/oct crossover point. I limited the lower frequency to 300 and the upper to 10000. Then I used my ears to compare what I was hearing to my memory of the original recordings. This may be the weakest link...

The winner was the JBL 2446 Be. The TAD was just slightly more veiled as if it were playing through a towel and the 2446 Ti was slightly more artificial or harsh sounding. Both of the Be diaphragms were very natural sounding but the Truextent was just a little bit more alive. I used a Db meter to keep each combination to about 90db.

As you can see in the picture, the Linkwitz LX521s are sitting alongside the JBLs. I compared the 2123 and JBL Be to the 8" and 4" in the LX521s. They play from 122 to 7000 and use a 1khz 6db/octave crossover. I liked different things from each, but I really liked the dynamic impact that the JBLs offered. The LX521 was beautiful sounding too and is a really well executed, refined design. I'm not ready to compare one to the other quite yet as I haven't had time to fine tune the JBLs yet. At the end of the day, I'm still dealing with drivers that are 20 or so years older than the LX drivers, so the power of time is against the JBLs.

I hate trying to describe the sound of a speaker. It makes me feel like a reviewer and that I'm not. But you asked Mr Widget.

How did I do?

I hate trying to describe the sound of a speaker. It makes me feel like a reviewer and that I'm not. But you asked Mr Widget.

How did I do?
    Joe Jackson said that talking about music is like dancing about architecture. I'm not sure what that makes talking about speakers, but it certainly is a difficult task to make it meaningful... I think you did well.

Thanks!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Was the TD-4001 new? Maybe the Be phragm in the 2446 had less time on it than the Be phragm in the 4001.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Was the TD-4001 new? Maybe the Be phragm in the 2446 had less time on it than the Be phragm in the 4001.

Good point. Not sure that matters unless it was abused, but I know the truextents are new and don't know the age or past use of the 4001.

JB2206 with LE 85 and Beyma CP21/f slot radiater tweeter. (cheap jbl 077 hopefully)

I am trying to build a strong dialogue supporting center channel for my home theater setup. I will be using the JBL 2206 for the bass (fully supplemented by a SVS 13 sub coming thru at somewhere between 60 and 100 cps). I have no room for a decent size box or larger diameter driver where it needs to be located. I am using the Nelson Pass JBL L-300 crossover network since I am using that on my right and left front L-300s in homebuilt cabinets. I also have a JBL 2461 compression driver which has a phenolic impregnated linen diaphragm which supposedly is a little better in the 600 cps realm than the le 85. Either compression driver is going to be on a JBL 2345 horn I got from a nephew. All I am after is decent power and clear dialogue from this center channel. I have no room for a bigger center unit without trashing my TV stand.
    Using the l-300s without a center channel has one "voice" which is far different from adding a klipsch reference 64 II I bought for the center channel based on touted reviews. May be good but nothing like the l-300's. I'm not sure which one provides clearer more distinct dialogue. I am hoping I can improve on what I have with this new variant.

I thought this might be eligible for a thread on the 2206 H for hi fi. Any comments on this speaker makeup for my intended use?

Thread Information