Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My JBL 4310's!

My JBL 4310's!

I acquired these last Novemeber off my local CL for $140! I've read a few things about these but I'm trying to understand how rare and important these speakers are, if at all. Are these the first control monitors produced by JBL? Are they rare? Are they important? Are they valuable? I'm not selling, in fact, I'm about to embark on a complete restoration of them and put them into service!

http://mike.iccom.com/stereo/IMG_0014.jpg
    http://mike.iccom.com/stereo/IMG_0015.jpg
    http://mike.iccom.com/stereo/IMG_0016.jpg
    http://mike.iccom.com/stereo/IMG_0017.jpg
    http://mike.iccom.com/stereo/IMG_0018.jpg

Looks like a pair of nice raised panel versions of the 4310s.

Perhaps time to read some of the history part of the site, starting with

Development of an Industry Standard - JBL 4310

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/l100.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mikey3117 View Post
    I acquired these last November off my local CL for $140! Are these the first control monitors produced by JBL? Are they rare? Are they important? Are they valuable?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Looks like a pair of nice raised panel versions of the 4310s.

Perhaps time to read some of the history part of the site, starting with

Development of an Industry Standard - JBL 4310

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/l100.htm
    Thanks for the link! It appears the 4320 was first, then the 4310 was the smaller version that came later... I knew this model was the standard for recording studios, etc and was the predecessor to the L100, but how collectible is the 4310? Are they desireable?

From the pictures, it looks like your cabinets are in real good shape.

I had a pair of 4320s - the cabinets weren't good enough to "restore" - so I modded them and upgraded them and learned a lot in the process.

I think the real question is - do you basically like how they sound?

You can build replacement crossover networks to replace the caps and that sort of thing without altering the cabinet or much of the collector's value (if you keep the old networks intact!) - but if you don't like the sound A LOT, it doesn't make sense to put money into them.

Like I keep telling people, a speaker is only worth what people are willing to pay for it - and that can vary up or down over time ... but if YOU like the sound - don't let it get away!

Thanks for the link! It appears the 4320 was first, then the 4310 was the smaller version that came later... I knew this model was the standard for recording studios, etc and was the predecessor to the L100, but how collectible is the 4310? Are they desireable?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    but you're not selling them... ?

They're "old", nostalgic even to some, in fairly good condition,
    probably safe to say fewer in number than the 4311 variations.
    To some, that would mean collectible/desireable.

Would I personally pay more for them than for more current,
    similarly styled 431x, models in similar condition (assuming I
    wanted them in the first place)? No. Others might. -grumpy
    I'm really not selling them, I know I have a low post count, but I have over 1100 posts over at audiokarma... I like to restore old speakers and have refinished a few in the last few years. I have restored Pioneer HPM-100's, Realistic Mach One's, and my last project was my Dahlquist DQ-10's. I flip lesser things on ebay to fund the hobby, but when I stumble across things I like, I keep 'em!

I know improvements were made as newer models were introduced but was just trying to see if I had some type of "holy grail" find here....apparently I don't...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    From the pictures, it looks like your cabinets are in real good shape.

I had a pair of 4320s - the cabinets weren't good enough to "restore" - so I modded them and upgraded them and learned a lot in the process.

I think the real question is - do you basically like how they sound?

You can build replacement crossover networks to replace the caps and that sort of thing without altering the cabinet or much of the collector's value (if you keep the old networks intact!) - but if you don't like the sound A LOT, it doesn't make sense to put money into them.

Like I keep telling people, a speaker is only worth what people are willing to pay for it - and that can vary up or down over time ... but if YOU like the sound - don't let it get away!
    I do like the way they sound, although I have other speakers in my stable that sound better... They lack deep bass and the high frequency response leaves a little to be desired but they really shine on vocals, etc. They expose everything in a recording which makes you understand why they were the standard in recording studios!

I know improvements were made as newer models were introduced but was just trying to see if I had some type of "holy grail" find here....apparently I don't...
    I'm going to say that you do, actually.

I don't believe we've seen many of those early originals on the forum, and if they were mine, I'd be making sure anything I did in the course of restoring them was "correct," especially considering what good shape those are in, and I certainly wouldn't do anything irreversible.

I'm notoriously loose with my own "upgrades," and to the chagrin of some members, have on occasion employed power tools on vintage JBLs in the process. But those 4310s, I wouldn't care what they sounded like; I consider them "important," yes, and they'd have a revered presence among my collection.

[I might plug the ports to fix the bass, tho.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    I'm going to say that you do, actually.

I don't believe we've seen many of those early originals on the forum, and if they were mine, I'd be making sure anything I did in the course of restoring them was "correct," especially considering what good shape those are in, and I certainly wouldn't do anything irreversible.

I'm notoriously loose with my own "upgrades," and to the chagrin of some members, have on occasion employed power tools on vintage JBLs in the process. But those 4310s, I wouldn't care what they sounded like; I consider them "important," yes, and they'd have a revered presence among my collection....
    Thanks Zilch!

Another 4310 owner! Welcome.

I had mine on permanent duty in my home office (see avatar) until I acquired another set of L112. They are wonderful speakers in a tight, near field environment. I had to replace one of the 2105 mids - it lost a fight with the original owner's cat. Cost me $189 for a pair of NOS on e-pay, but it was worth it.

Surprisingly, although they seem to be much rarer than L100's, even the early L100 line array, and IMHO sound better, they don't seem to fetch high prices.

I have refinished many speakers in the past with "high gloss" tung oil. I want to keep the 4310's as original as possible including the finish on the veneer. What would best describe the original finish? High gloss? Semi gloss? Satin?

I have refinished many speakers in the past with "high gloss" tung oil. I want to keep the 4310's as original as possible including the finish on the veneer. What would best describe the original finish? High gloss? Semi gloss? Satin?
    The original finish was oiled walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    The original finish was oiled walnut.
    But to what sheen? I refinished HPM-100's with a "high gloss" which looks good but I know is not original...

Oiled walnut finishes on new cabinets had very little "sheen" when they left the factory.

finish upkeep instructions

from one of several threads on the subject:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...46&postcount=4

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    from one of several threads on the subject:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...46&postcount=4
    Thanks Grumpy! I just wan't to do these right... Are you the same Grumpy from Audiokarma?

Thread Information