Thread: What replaced the 2123 & 2012?

What replaced the 2123 & 2012?

The JBL 2123j and it's successor, the 2012h, have both been discontinued , although the latter still shows up as a current product on the JBLPro website, but I don't believe the page is being updated. Is there a replacement for these drivers? I don't find one on the JBLPro site or for sale anywhere. If there is no replacement, does an equivalent driver exist from some other manufacturer?

Thanks for the info. Next question - can the 2251J be bought somewhere? I'm having real difficulty finding website that lists this driver.

Hi BigT

I am not sure what your budget may allow. But, if money is not an object then consider the new 2251J drivers. The 2251J drivers appears to have a flatter frequency response then 2012H drivers. And as a result, they will be easier to incorporate them into your project.

Personally, I own the 2012H drivers and I have found that they do require some equalization to make them sound right. But, once equalized, the 2012H drivers have a very clean sound. And I am now very glad that I have added them into my project.

What makes the 2012H a real challenge to work with is its rising frequency response. A bass reflex enclosure with a high tuning point of about 100Hz will help flatten the response for frequencies below 400Hz. But, they have still have a pretty steep peak in the 800 to 1000Hz range, which I have only been able to correct with LCR tank circuit wired in series with the driver. To be honest, if it weren’t for Earl K and his suggestion of a LCR tank circuit, then my 2012 drivers would have been dumped E-Bay at a loss. It seems like the 2012H is kind of a black sheep around here. But, it is possible to make them sound great.

Currently, I have been experimenting with a couple of different LCR tank circuits, each having different Q values. And I am very close to posting my best tank circuit results here soon. This time with some of those pretty CLIO charts in all. But I am digressing here.

In looking at the 2251J driver’s frequency response, there appears to be a similar peak that kicks in above 900 Hz. But this peak is smaller that the 2012H’s and it is spread over wider frequency range. So, depending on how the crossover network is configured, it may require little or no additional equalization to smooth this peak out.

But, if your budget is tight and you run across some new or used 2012H drivers, in minty condition, and at a reasonable price, don’t be too quick to pass them up. The 2012H is a very nice driver, regardless of what others might say.

Baron030

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Thanks for the info. Next question - can the 2251J be bought somewhere? I'm having real difficulty finding website that lists this driver.
    You buy them from JBL Pro parts:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Tra...cer%20List.pdf

Thanks for the price list. Too bad it doesn't tell me what all that stuff is. Too bad JBL doesn't maintain their website very well. I notice that the 2012H is still on that list even though I understood it to be discontinued.

My budget is whatever it takes. Although I am not bucks up, I have time. I'm just trying to decide between drivers, which depends largely on what turns up on Ebay and other places. If I need to buy new, I will.

My goal is to build an extremely efficient system with high power handling for my home. Not that I really need extreme loudness, but I like a lot of dynamic headroom. What are the most efficent JBL drivers? I know what these used to be, but what are they now in 10", 12" and 15" diameters? Is there a system to JBL's driver numbering? Seems pretty haphazard to me.

Obsolete
    Too bad it doesn't tell me what all that stuff is. Too bad JBL doesn't maintain their website very well.
    It really isn't a big deal I guess. The pro's know what they need and they buy it.
    My goal is to build an extremely efficient system with high power handling for my home.
    Yeah see, there is a whole industry filled with professionals out there that handle that kind of thing. JBL got out of the Loudspeaker Component Series business over 20 years ago. One can still buy components in Japan for personal use because there is a viable market there but over here it's a few one-offs and there is no viable business model to handle that. Anyone can buy the Pro drivers from a Pro Dealer and you might even get lucky and find a Pro Dealer with a little free time that can help you out above and beyond just selling you components.
    Seems pretty haphazard to me.
    Contact a JBL Professional Dealer.

hey guys are there newer drivers out now that suit? im having a lot of troble tracking down 2012h drivers

And I wonder whether there is an upgrade from 2123H (in 4343) to something better from JBL.

Thread Information