Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Stage Monitors Finished

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vettedrummer View Post
    What type of music do you play?
    Mostly Rock 'n Roll and Rhythm 'n Blues - the kind of stuff a bunch of mid-50 year olds would know...

Here's the mains were using: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...hlight=sp215-9

with a Yamaha EMX5016CF powered mixer: http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...227800,00.html

When I need more power, I just add one of several different amps on hand...

John

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    ...for use as the occasional mains...
    Actually, they will suck for that.

There is almost no useable bottom-end that "projects" into the house. Remember, these are not properly sized/ported cabinets. They have limited bass response that rolls-off pretty drastically - fine for a stage wedge, but not really suitable for "mains" unless you are really stuck (and all of us have been at least once... ).

During crossover design, it was suggested by one who knows that I incorporate a highpass filter around 80 - 100 Hz, because the stage is awash in bass, being behind the mains, typically, and adding more of indeterminate phase serves mostly to compromise the purpose of stage monitors, which is clarity for the performers.

I consulted with John, and he uses active EQ on the monitors to do just that. LF response was thus not much of a consideration in these, though John enhanced and smoothed it a bit with ports....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    LF response was thus not much of a consideration in these...
    I have no idea what you posted, but think this excerpt resonates with my post.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    I have no idea what you posted, but think this excerpt resonates with my post.
    When I first talked to Zilch about these, I was planning on using sealed cabinets, since LF response wasn't paramount and I usually end up EQ'ing some out of the monitors anyway. But after looking at the closed box response, decided it was too much cut, so decided to add ports, which I noticed JBL also does in their small monitor cabinets.

John

Nice professional job! Pat yourself on the back.

John,

Those look great with the Dura-Tex on them. Your wood working skills are fantastic and those speakers sounded great. I really liked the way you did the grills on them. It was nice meeting you that day at the Zilchlab.

Where do you buy the Dura-Tex?

RIP 2009
    Thanks, Duff! 'Nice meeting you too! I purchased the DuraTex direct from the manufacturer: http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119 . I used the standard roll-on version, but not with their textured roller. I just used a little 6" cloth roller. Once it gets tacky, (about a minute), I re-rolled it lightly to raise the texture.

John

Thread Information