Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally!!! Won an Ultra Curve on Evil Bay

Finally!!! Won an Ultra Curve on Evil Bay

They tried to snipe me in the last second, but I was finally able to go the distance and win a Behringer Ultra Curve Pro for $137.50 + $15 S/H.

Normally I wouldn't have gone that high but this one said it included the mic and case (for the mic I assume). Hopefully, it's at least the Behringer mic (or better), that would more than make up the difference of what I would have paid (usually bid about $110-120 on them), but I'm not gonna hold my breath. (I've seen them go for as little as about $100.)

Maybe now I can get some decent data on my own.

JBL 4645
    Well done that’s a nice unit.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    They tried to snipe me in the last second, but I was finally able to go the distance and win a Behringer Ultra Curve Pro for $137.50 + $15 S/H.

Normally I wouldn't have gone that high but this one said it included the mic and case (for the mic I assume). Hopefully, it's at least the Behringer mic (or better), that would more than make up the difference of what I would have paid (usually bid about $110-120 on them), but I'm not gonna hold my breath. (I've seen them go for as little as about $100.)

What ever happened to using your ears?

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    What ever happened to using your ears?
    Very hard to repeatedly quantify a change of 1-2 dB at an unknown frequency by ear, let alone small changes as a result of minor crossover value substitutions. I've not had my ears calibrated to that degree.

Now in the past I did have my eyeballs registered to legally quantify smoke opacity, through the California Air Resource Board, but have not had them recertified in years.

Cool. I'm sure you'll have fun w/ that . Recall the Behringer mic response
    posts, or have your's calibrated (better). -grumpy

Are you using the Ultra Curve for pro sound reinforcement application or for home audio use?

Just wondering because I've been looking at some of the new digital loud speaker management units out there: DBX, Ber, BBE, etc.

The DBX comes with a built in analyzer which is nice. Anyone else been checking out any, all in one, units?

How would they be for Hi Fi usage? I know a lot of people are anti DtoA AtoD conversion when it comes to home audio.

Lar

Quote Originally Posted by diamondsouled View Post
    Are you using the Ultra Curve for pro sound reinforcement application or for home audio use?

Just wondering because I've been looking at some of the new digital loud speaker management units out there: DBX, Ber, BBE, etc.

The DBX comes with a built in analyzer which is nice. Anyone else been checking out any, all in one, units?

How would they be for Hi Fi usage? I know a lot of people are anti DtoA AtoD conversion when it comes to home audio.

Lar
    For "tweeking" the home system.

One channel may be used in conjunction with the center channel to raise the vocals for television/movies.

I prefer not to put anything in the lines that may affect the overall stereo image or add noise, and as a result pulled by Yamaha 31 band eqs out of the system.

Tweeking is always fun.

Some of the features on the loud speaker management type units are quite powerful. Being able to control delay on any LF MF HF unit individually as well as phasing, eqing, and a wide choice of filter types BW LR and slopes etc. would be nice. Especially when it's all done at 36 bits.

The only weak point I've heard about is the quality of the op amps in these units.

It will be nice if someone thinks to put out a genuinely state of art unit designed specifically for home audio.

Being able to fine tune biamped and triamped home speaker systems with these digital units could yield some interesting results.

Larry

Behringer finally arrived today (purchased and paid for on evil bay on Oct 6). A little happiness to go with all of this firestorm misery.

I swapped out a Rane AC 23, and an Alesis EQ for a DBX DriveRack PA about 6 months ago in my main room, and have yet to get it to sound as good as it used to.

It really lost a lot of punch, even with all the protection features off and the EQ flat, the dynamics are gone. I haven't been happy with it, yet.

On a positive note, it is pretty quiet however. Any ideas?

Is it possible that the "error" goes the other way? That the Rane and Alesis had a little boost here and there?

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

That is absolutely a possibility. Some real measurement is in order.

I own an ultracurve and find it very handy for analyzing the room....i then transfer the curves (by hand) to the ultradrive, and let that do the eq.

I found the ultracurve to be unstable, prone to many software resets, and hang ups. Please let me know if you run across the same. This is why I only use it for analysis and not in the audio path.
    Frederick

My UltraCruve has been glitch-free since I bought it new over 2.5 years ago....

Mine's fine too. The D/A ain't bad either.

Thread Information