Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ring Radiator Production

Ring Radiator Production

Thought you might get a kick out of this, hopefully it's new info for you.
    One of the guys I work with (he shall remain nameless) working at JBL Pro for over 20 years and over the years went from the line to engineering. Anyway, he told me about the production of the ring radiators 2405 etc. The production yield was very low. Fall out because of the high standards for frequency response JBL required was killing them. Then a lady on the line figured out a way of fixing the diaphragms that did not pass. The tooling guys tried and tried to implement this fix into the die but they just couldn't get it to work as well as her method, she had the magic touch. And what was this method? She would simple run the tip of a ball point pen around the diaphragm, this added crease made the diaphragms play very smoothly and within spec. I don't know if this is true but he swears it is and says that you can see it on many of the old diaphragms if you look closely. It's a great story, especially how the tool guys couldn't duplicate the results, a personal touch.

Hi blackwell,

Welcome to the forums.

I heard this same story from ex JBL Vice President Garry Margolis and have told it a time or two here.

It makes sense though, as the cross section of the diaphragm is a shallow V. There is really no way for it to move without distorting the diaphragm surface in some way that would most likely be harmful to the response. Adding a tiny bit of compliance at the edges would allow it to have some excursion without oilcanning the surfaces.

I have heard that story, dont know if its really true, but since Steve says he heard it from Gary Margolis, it might be.

One thing I do know though, is that in the last several years, sales of tweeters had declined. Really the only ones that were seriously using tweeters much anymore were dance club systems, all the pro and touring rigs have CD horns that go all the way up.

If the story about them not being able to get the diaphragms to spec because of a pen poke in the right spot is true thats really kind of sad! How could a company like JBL not know how to make their product work?
    scottyj

I certainly don't recall it ever being done during the production of the original 075.

It explains a lot. I have not seen two 2405 responses the same yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    I certainly don't recall it ever being done during the production of the original 075.
    Hey Harvey, there have been so many stories over the years.

One story I have heard many times, is that the aluminum they used to use years ago was different and better quality then the aluminum used in the last 10 to 15 years. Is there really any truth to this?

One story someone once told, is that JBL used to go to the WWII aircraft graveyard and buy scrap aluminum off the war planes and that it was better than the later aluminum.

Its another tale that has been told!

What say you?
    scottyj

I have heard that in the "old" days JBL used a softer alloy. Then in an attempt to enhance the life span of diaphragms and increase high freq. resp. they went to a harder alloy. The older diaphragms would work harden and break like glass. But of course, I've seen AL diaphragms made in the early 80's just before Ti that broke like glass too. Who knows?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Hey Harvey, there have been so many stories over the years.

One story I have heard many times, is that the aluminum they used to use years ago was different and better quality then the aluminum used in the last 10 to 15 years. Is there really any truth to this?

Possibly true; I don't know what they used in the last 10 to 15 years.

One story someone once told, is that JBL used to go to the WWII aircraft graveyard and buy scrap aluminum off the war planes and that it was better than the later aluminum.

Its another tale that has been told!

What say you?
    Scrap aluminum from WWII aircraft graveyards? LOL!!! I don't think so.

Gee, who needs Adam Savage or Jamie Hyneman, when we have Harvey?
    This tread is starting to read like an episode of Mythbusters.

Harvey can you please tell us some more wonderful JBL myths.
    Besides, the top secret military "Brown Note" research at JBL for example?

We all enjoy reading your posts.
    Baron030
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Scrap aluminum from WWII aircraft graveyards? LOL!!! I don't think so.
    Well, its one of the stories that float around! I never put to much creedence in them.

What Blackwell posted about the older phragms having a different composition of alloy, that makes sense.

I know that as we got into the 90,s and the big new extremely powerful amps began coming out, power handling became a serious problem. Guys wanted to use the BIG Crown 5000,s and Crest 9001,s, and then power to HF devices began to creep upwards too. As one manufacturer explained it to me, the days of powering compression drivers with 30 watts at a big show are over, and with the older, lighter diaphragms, 75 watts and better, and they were just shattering everything. They had to make diaphragms more withstanding.

This is one of my big problems with vintage gear, and speakers. Unless you have components with the actual 1979 cones and diaphragms, they arent really vintage. If they have been rebuilt with new parts, many times the new parts do work to a degree, but are NOT 100% like the parts originally made and used.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Baron030 View Post
    Gee, who needs Adam Savage or Jamie Hyneman, when we have Harvey?
    This tread is starting to read like an episode of Mythbusters.

Harvey can you please tell us some more wonderful JBL myths.
    Besides, the top secret military "Brown Note" research at JBL for example?

We all enjoy reading your posts.
    Baron030
    I don't remember any "brown note" research, but Ed May came damn close to it when we were on Casitas. Ed built a very long throw, low distortion LE15, and mounted it in a large cabinet located in the corner of the sound room, and fed a 27 Hz sine wave into it at a pretty high volume. No overtones, just pure 27 Hz.

When you walked into the room, it felt like you were underwater; you could barely breath, let alone talk. Most people couldn't last more than a few seconds in the room without coming out sick.

I still remember that experience to this day.

Well, its one of the stories that float around! I never put to much credence in them.

What Blackwell posted about the older diaphragms having a different composition of alloy, that makes sense.
    On further reflection, there might be some possible truth to that story, but not the scrap metal part of the story. You must remember that Bill Thomas worked at Marquart Aircraft for a number of years before JBL, and Bill was still very close to Roy Marquart.

It is possible that he worked out a deal with Marquart to buy higher grade aluminum from them at a lower price, because of Marquart 's better purchasing power.

Johnny Edwards would know more about that than I would. Anyway, all this is pure speculation on my part.

Interesting!

Harvey, your the best.

scottyj

Interesting!

Harvey, you're the best.

Nah, I'd say I was "blessed", not "best". I was just very lucky to be in a lot of right places at exactly the right times.

Nah, I'd say I was "blessed", not "best". I was just very lucky to be in a lot of right places at exactly the right times.
    Well, however you want to put, you put a good ending to a story thats been floating around for a while.

And this ending actually makes sense, if a manufacturer can get something cheaper, and at the same time, better, YES, it could very well be.

Aircraft grade materials are known to be some of the best available.

scottyj

Thread Information