Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2405 UHF Clones

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Glen....I could never be accused of being shy...The scars of bitten ankels on this forum prove that...
    Really?? You're not shy??
    I never knew.
    I had purchased Accousticion parts before..From a company in Chicago,, IMAGE comm. So i am fammiliar with the poor quality of that product. So no matter how you dice and slice crap,,,it was still crap.. I dont like mincing my opionion with diplomacy..alot could get lost in the interpratation.
    But you see, you ARE coming out of your shell with this enlightening expansion on your original, abbreviated, reply:
    I think its a piece of crap.
    I bought a few small things from Image. They carried some good brands and some that seemed too cheap to be good.
    Sorry you got burned by the Acoustician products, but thanks for sharing your bad experience with the forum.

It's too late for witoman, but others will know better than to get suckered in by these cheapos and save their bucks for the good stuff
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Maron Horonzakz
    Yup...I do leave scars. I like to be a man of few words...But if necessary Ill elaborate..

Update. I got the Acoustician 1205 driver back from repair. It had a loose connection to the diaphram and was simply soldered back into place, tested and returned to me. The work was done by Music Technology (MT) of Springfield, VA (www.musictechnology.com). They are a JBL factory authorized service center. The repair cost was $58 (they charge for anything that hits their bench).

MT tells me that the diaphram in this driver is for a JBL 2402. I took it home, and put it into my system (tri-amped L200Bs with the upper crossover at 7kHz). Sounded pretty good to my ears. Being a rock 'n' roller, the test recording that I use is Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" cut (1977). I love JBL's big sound on this period piece because the drums should just leap out at you. They did. The Acoustician kept up just fine with the LE85s, no doubt because of the 2402 diaphram.

It did not sound like "crap".

I'm now saving my nickles and dimes to get the 2405s (again, as the last ones I bought on eBay never arrived and the seller skipped). But in the meantime, this is a very fun sounding rig. More fiddling to go.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    glad to hear you like them...

Quote Originally Posted by witoman View Post
    Update. I got the Acoustician 1205 driver back from repair. It had a loose connection to the diaphram and was simply soldered back into place, tested and returned to me. The work was done by Music Technology (MT) of Springfield, VA (www.musictechnology.com). They are a JBL factory authorized service center. The repair cost was $58 (they charge for anything that hits their bench).

MT tells me that the diaphram in this driver is for a JBL 2402. I took it home, and put it into my system (tri-amped L200Bs with the upper crossover at 7kHz). Sounded pretty good to my ears. Being a rock 'n' roller, the test recording that I use is Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" cut (1977). I love JBL's big sound on this period piece because the drums should just leap out at you. They did. The Acoustician kept up just fine with the LE85s, no doubt because of the 2402 diaphram.

It did not sound like "crap".

I'm now saving my nickles and dimes to get the 2405s (again, as the last ones I bought on eBay never arrived and the seller skipped). But in the meantime, this is a very fun sounding rig. More fiddling to go.
    The 2402 diaphragm is different than the 2405. The 2405 has a lighter phragm and goes up higher, and its audible.

But, if you like the sound of these with 2402 phragms, you might also like the 2402! Crossed at 7K with just a few watts they have that classic hi hat sound, and sizzle. The only thing bad about bullets is they are beamy. But they sound great with classic rock.

A real 2405 slot needs to be crossed over higher, 8K maybe higher, they dont sound proper at 7K. Crossed lower then 8K they sound rough and harsh, the 2405 pragm likes 8K or better. They have wider dispersion, but also are slightly beamy to my ears. Youll get extension past the limits of audibility, and have less sixzzle, and a more delicate, sounding top end. Matter of fact, I have a few freinds in the sound buisiness that actually prefer the sound of the JBL 2405 with the 2402 diaphragm instead of the 2405 part. I never tried this, so I cant say what it does or doesnt do, but the two people I know that do this swear by it.

If your really serious about getting some slots, I have six brand new in the original boxes. PM me if you like, Ill tell they will cost you a few pennies more than Ebay, BUT, I will guarantee what I sell, and if you arent satisfied Ill take them back and return your money. You can be sure, that if you buy from me, YOU WILL GET THEM! I HATE ebay these days. You didnt get what you paid for, I have recieved items that were completey broken, etc.

scottyj

Thread Information