Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY 2 ways

Quote Originally Posted by jackgiff
    snip,,,,,,,,,,,snip The Altec cabinets I used were Santanas, not Santiagos. In fact, they turned out so good that I have acquired another pair of them, ,,,,snip,,,,,, I will try them with Trusonic parts, which were my original intention before you turned me into an LE14 freak. ,,,,, snip ,,,,,,,,,,
    The Santana two ways are sonically very satisfying, and were not only fun to build, but would probably make justbe quite happy.
    - Yeh, I agree that something patterned on the le14 is the way to go for an economical 2-way. It's essentially an update on the S101 .
    - Many of us here love these aquaplased, le14 variants.

Unfortunately, they are definitely not for sale.
    - I'm not surprised that you've decided they're keepers.

I can furnish PC boards for the crossovers and compensation filters, but even getting cabinets free, my cost was higher than his target of $1,000. I am very glad I built them, though.
    - Yeh, it'll take some time for these facts of life to sink in to those used to P.E. style pricing, etc..
    - The switch to a "higher-quality" reality doesn't happen overnight ( if at all ) and still takes a fair amount of immersion time in this Lansing bathing pool ( before the indelible dye is cast ) .

00Robin
    Zilch,I'd LOVE to get a hold of those carpeted things with casters on them for my cabinets....I mean LOVE to. I'm not as strong as I was after the front ender total job I did this summer...air bags and seat belts save lives,but they messed ME UP BAD,I'm still mending,expensively..Thank GOD for full coverage State Farm Insurance...I just wish they'd buy me some more vintage equipment!
    I know,just make them...then I need some do-it-guy...I guess I'd have to so they set in them to fit right,huh?

Quote Originally Posted by 00Robin View Post
    Zilch,I'd LOVE to get a hold of those carpeted things with casters on them for my cabinets....I mean LOVE to. I'm not as strong as I was after the front ender total job I did this summer...air bags and seat belts save lives,but they messed ME UP BAD,I'm still mending,expensively..Thank GOD for full coverage State Farm Insurance...I just wish they'd buy me some more vintage equipment!
    I know,just make them...then I need some do-it-guy...I guess I'd have to so they set in them to fit right,huh?
    Carpet Dollys are from Home Despot and around $20 each ...

... Save the whales - collect the whole set ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

00Robin
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Carpet Dollys are from Home Despot and around $20 each ...

... Save the whales - collect the whole set ...
    okay..gotcha. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jackgiff View Post
    Hi Zilch. The Altec cabinets I used were Santanas, not Santiagos.
    Seville, Santiago, Santana, Madrid, Malibu, Murano, Valencia, Bolero -- I need a reference chart for Altecs; I am clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by justbe View Post
    Anyhow, i've lost my interest after the insult so thanks everyone for helping...........
    Gotta be tough to do this, and dedicated.

You already know it ain't about throwing some drivers in a box.

Where is Macaron?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I agree with Giskard some canned kits out of Zilchs efforts would be quite industrious.
    I'm thinking a forum collaborative two-way project thread might produce a worthy result. Enough of us have built them in the last two years.

There's already a special forum section in place for this purpose. We merely need to petition for it to be opened up for the project. It's titled "Member Projects." That'd be us...

As Earl suggests, LE14 might be the logical woofer, the "Budget" version using LE14A, which could be upgraded to one of the premium variants at any time....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    I'm thinking a forum collaborative two-way project thread might produce a worthy result. Enough of us have built them in the last two years.

There's already a special forum section in place for this purpose. We merely need to petition for it to be opened up for the project.

As Earl suggests, LE14 might be the logical woofer, the "Budget" version using LE14A, which could be upgraded to one of the premium variants at any time....
    I agree totally. The LE14A is so available, and they can be had very cheaply if you are in no hurry. Almost any original pair will need to be refoamed, but Rick Cobbs foam kits are very affordable, and if I can do three pairs of them with no problems, virtually anyone can do them. HF drivers and horns can be the only real problem areas, along with crossovers and compensation networks to suit. But the results are so spectacular, that they are definitely worth doing.

When I built my L200 pair of DIY 4430's, it was difficult to pick out which set of parts to use. After reading the Q&D thread several times (which took hours), I finally PM'ed you for advice if my choice was correct. With your help, I ended up with a pair of speakers which would be my "keepers" if only one pair was allowed. The Santanas are a very close second, and cost was less. Both pairs are in my upstairs office/library area and both are not going anywhere anytime soon.

If such a thread was done with the LE14 woofers as a starting point, and several HF drivers/horns were considered as "the formula", the thread could be much simpler than the Q&D thread, which caused at least one senior member to tremble, and state his objections in many cases. And JBL makes several HF drivers and horns/waveguides that would give a new speaker builder/designer a chance to tell his friends, "I built these speakers myself."

My personal vote would be for "Let's do it!" But the thread must not go so far as to be an "I'll measure anything" thread. If it was decided that maybe three or four two way kits was the optimum, lets limit it to that. You have enough knowledge at this point to recommend the HF drivers for several kits, and then the members that were interested in following the thread could add their thought. Maybe several kit formulas would rear their heads, and the answers to questions like the one asked by justbe could be a simple "look here."

Worth a thought? I truly love two ways, but there is always more than one way to skin a cat. And if the DIY forum won't tolerate such a thread, then why is the DIY forum part of the Lansing Heritage site?

Arrow GPA STORE

http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Plains-Audio

Quote Originally Posted by justbe View Post
    Thanks Stéphane, unfortunately your setup will probably be a little more than I can afford.

I will be waiting patiently Giskard. I saw some highly recommend $10 jbl waveguide from Zilch from various thread. The thing is I just dont want to buy a waveguide here, a horn driver there, a woofer, and have no idea what to do with them. I can follow instruction to put things together but have no experience designing things (yet.)

Obsolete
    There's already a special forum section in place for this purpose. We merely need to petition for it to be opened up for the project. It's titled "Member Projects." That'd be us...
    No there isn't. That section was created specifically for finished projects. A member submits the documentation of their completed project and it is posted in that section by a moderator. It is not just another section for certain members to blog their days away in. There is already a project intended to "open" that section up as an example.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackgiff View Post
    And if the DIY forum won't tolerate such a thread, then why is the DIY forum part of the Lansing Heritage site?
    That's what the DIY forum was created for. There are several really good member projects as examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    That section was created specifically for finished projects. A member submits the documentation of their completed project and it is posted in that section by a moderator.

That's what the DIY forum was created for. There are several really good member projects as examples.
    I'd be good if said really good member projects were moved to the "Member Projects" section, 'cause nobody'll ever find them otherwise.

Seems I'm unclear on the concept ... again....

Obsolete
    I'd be good if said really good member projects were moved to the "Member Projects" section, 'cause nobody'll ever find them otherwise.
    It just isn't something that needs to be done right this minute. There is a project in the works that will open that section.
    Seems I'm unclear on the concept ... again....
    One project that might clear it up would be Bo's early 4345 measurements or his refoam thread. With some editing those would be examples of the kinds of text with pictures that would end up in a highlighted section. I recall an L100 project and a few John W projects that, with editing, would end up in the Member Projects section. Riessen has a bunch, Guido has a few, richluvsound has a few, I think Heather has one, I think you helped Hamilton with one, etc. I probably shouldn't have asked Don to create that section just yet since it is obviously causing a problem now. It has proven a bit premature due to other commitments.

Why don't you guys just collaborate on a feasable project or two in a new thread with an approriate title as jackgiff suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Why don't you guys just collaborate on a feasable project or two in a new thread with an approriate title as jackgiff suggested.
    Will you help us?

Obsolete
    Will you help us?
    I'm buried up to my forehead in this stuff. I can try to give some time, it just depends on how much. I'm seriously considering asking riessen for help with some aspects of various projects. Let's all just outsource to each other.

O.K., for starters, we'll come up with a title that has neither "Quick" nor "Dirty" in it, then....

"...Where is Macaron?.."
    I think next to the petit fores. My wife loves macarons with the cocoa sprinkled on.

One significant problem with any kit/project speaker shown so far is the general lack of driver availability. At least drivers of interest to this forum. Can't exactly buy them off shelf. Makes many projects tend to be one offs, two offs, etc.

DavidF

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    One significant problem with any kit/project speaker shown so far is the general lack of driver availability.
    If you are patient and a bit resourceful most of these drivers are available. Frequently even at prices that are real bargains... but if you are hoping to go out and get the entire ensemble in a week or two, be prepared to pay top dollar and still be disappointed.

Widget

Thread Information