Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 2 ways

DIY 2 ways

Greetings,

If you have to do it all over again, what would you build.

I need some recommendation/guide to build a 2 ways speakers with 15" LF and a horn/compression driver. My listening room is 18' x 16'. I have a budget of up to $1000.

I listen to lot of jazz, instrumental acoustic guitar, blues, etc....

Thanks in advance.

Might be hard to do that on a $1000 budget. I live in Norway so i dont have a very good idea of prices in the US so i might be way off.

But check out the Usher 15" at partsexpress.com. That unit is affordable and "linear" seems to be happy with his.

Check out : http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ighlight=m9500

-Tim

Timc.

Yeah, I realized that $1000 may not be much for a nice speakers system hence I'm looking for simple 2 ways. That system "linear" has sure are nice. Thanks for the link.

Justbe

Here is the 15" driver. On sale atm, so great value for money. IF it suits your needs.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=296-630

-Tim

You will have (more than) a fair chance of getting the needed drivers and crossover parts for a 4430 clone within your budget limits.

i.e. 2235 woofers, 2425 compression driver and a suitable horn.

Zilch has done a lot of researching on this topic. Search and enjoy.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Timc, thanks for the pointer. Mainly I am looking for a complete project instead of just a couple of woofers as I would not know which woofers would match well with what horns/drivers.

yggdrasil, I found the thread but there are 452 replied. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=9745 - will take me a while to find what drivers would work best, schematics, etc.... Thanks.

Smile Other sounds

Hello,
    In the same order of idea, that is to say one 15 inches and a compression of 1 or 2 inch, but with high speaker of an other mark that JBL, to see the bonds:http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...t+plains+audio

I have have during 14 years of the JBL 4430, these new enclosures with high speaker GREAT PLAIN AUDIO sound much more definite for the type of music than listened to you, the only regret it goes down less low in the low register.

Good reading.

Stéphane

Obsolete
    Zilch has done a lot of researching on this topic. Search and enjoy.
    I'm sure he will be along presently to guide you with your project. I know there are some affordable waveguides and compression drivers out there and you might be able to get some decent woofers off eBay or from a reconer. It used to be quite possible to build a pair of 4430's on that kind of a budget but then eBay and the Internet kind of ruined that.

Nice link Stéphane!

Thanks Stéphane, unfortunately your setup will probably be a little more than I can afford.

I will be waiting patiently Giskard. I saw some highly recommend $10 jbl waveguide from Zilch from various thread. The thing is I just dont want to buy a waveguide here, a horn driver there, a woofer, and have no idea what to do with them. I can follow instruction to put things together but have no experience designing things (yet.)

Obsolete
    I've suggested to Zilch before that he should come up with some "packages" for projects that he and his friends in the greater S.F. area have tried. To this day I still don't know what the whole Q&D 4430 stuff was about other than that the title irritated me to no end (I considered it disrespectful to a few guys at JBL, although I never asked them point blank what they thought of it, and antithesis to everything JBL stood for). I'm certainly not going to slog through thousands of pages of forum blog to figure it all out. I do know that there is no such thing as a Q&D 4430 in our world, maybe there is on other Internet forums. If he could give you a quick synopsis of what he thought worked and had other members audition with positive response then that could be helpful to you.

I'd really like to see alot of other project suggestions from other people and hopefully you will get some.

Hi.

It will break your budget, but im currently trying to piece together a 2 way system. Im going with the LE14H-1 and 2435HPL's.

Will take a few months to get it up and running due to lack of funds, so I'm gonna try to pair it with the woofer in my L65's for starters.

I guess you could make somthing like this for about $1500 maybe. I see you can get used 2435's for about $500.

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by justbe
    I need some recommendation/guide to build a 2 ways speakers with 15" LF and a horn/compression driver. My listening room is 18' x 16'. I have a budget of up to $1000.
    - Off the top of my head I'd suggest you offer JackGiff the $1000.00 for his latest creation ( though I don't know if he wants to sell at this time ). This "Zilch" inspired creation uses refoamed le14a(s), housed in an Altec Santana gen-1 enclosure ( @ 3 cu' ), with the HF coming from a BMS driver mounted to the cheapie JBL wavequide ). ( I would have preferred to see a GPA 902 driver used / but this wasn't my project. )
    - If the location of "Macaron" is anywhere nearby to Jacks' / this would be your most expediant approach.
    - Do a search for threads started by Jackgiff to find out about this creation .

Q&D is somewhat more manageable from the Table of Contents here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=9901

There's been a pair of 4430s on LA C/L for the longest time for $999. But it says woofers need reconing. Looks like simple refoaming on the one in the pic.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/426324402.html

Quote Originally Posted by justbe View Post
    Thanks Stéphane, unfortunately your setup will probably be a little more than I can afford.

I will be waiting patiently Giskard. I saw some highly recommend $10 jbl waveguide from Zilch from various thread. The thing is I just dont want to buy a waveguide here, a horn driver there, a woofer, and have no idea what to do with them. I can follow instruction to put things together but have no experience designing things (yet.)
    This plaintive appeal is starting to smell a little bit like a riff to me. Some of your responders have already put more energy into this project than you apparently have. Personally, I've been down this road before. You have all the marks of some one who is looking for short order custom speaker design, but who is also impossible to please because of unrealistic expectations and very narrow ideas about how much good speakers should cost. You have a budget-- is it based on anything related to the project itself? How much to build the cabinets? How much for woofers, how much for horns and drivers? How much for custom crossovers? What makes you think your stated parameters are at all reasonable? Do you want someone to do your shopping for you? Frankly, I wonder if you've posted your question for the entertainment value of watching someone try to answer it.

Try studying this entire forum. Read the library. Study the ebay marketplace. If you are not willing to do those things, then you should not be thinking of building custom speakers of the kind you describe. Most of the rest of us have done these things, and we would not find it easy to fill your "order." The only site I know where packages have been worked out using available new high quality drivers and horns is Pi speakers. You might find it interesting to look at that site, but I do not think your budget will work there.

Todd has the right idea. Try buying some used speakers. The models you may get within your budget that seem to fit your stated interest are Altec Valencias, the JBL 4430's that have been mentioned. Sometimes Altec coaxials can be had for that money. I'm sure there are other possibilities that are not coming to mind. A bit of luck in scrounging for used stuff, of course, opens up many other options.

David

Thread Information