Thread: Say, Zilch Ques RE quick& dirty 2way pt1

Say, Zilch Ques RE quick& dirty 2way pt1

Zilch, looking at post number four where you discuss the 4430 high freq "compensation" it shows the scan on the link you provide of the 4430 cross over, can you tell me which parts are this compensation? I would like to incorporate it with a possible 2 way actively crossed over speaker using the 2344a. Thanks if you can help.

russellc

The HF "Boost" is R201, C9, L1, which works in combination with R202, R4, and R5 setting the MF balance.

I just use all of it plus C7 with an active crossover.

See also 4435's N3135 for another variant:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Stu...ies/4435LR.pdf

Thanks for the clarification and fast response, much appeciated. What does C7 do in this circuit?

Russellc

For 8 Ohms impedance, 20 uF is a 6 dB/octave highpass filter at 1 kHz. You can see the crossover switches it in with external operation, so it becomes part of the basic filter in that mode.

Further, it provides protection for the HF driver from low frequency turn on/off "pops" and DC, should any be generated by the active XO or HF amp....

I wondered if it might be a pop preventer of some sort, thanks again for the clarification. One last question, (sorry to ask so many) if instead of doing a 4430 clone, I build a three way using 2123H as a midrange and put the 2425H/2344A on top, is the compensation still recommended, or is this just a compensation when used 2 way for the midrange? Your answers have been much appreciated. I am going towards a 4430 clone, but it troubles me having these NOS 2123H just laying here! It has cooled off a little here and I am ready to start cutting wood for cabs, need to make up my mind. Lord, I'm like an old woman sometimes.

Russellc

Obsolete
    I spent considerable time going over this for forum members years ago... Search function not working again?

Or was that one or two forum versions back?

I think it was three versions back...2002?

I recall detanting the operation of these passive thingys over a glass of wine and several paragraphs.

I can send you more recones if you want therapy.

""I wondered if it might be a pop preventer of some sort, thanks again for the clarification. One last question, (sorry to ask so many) if instead of doing a 4430 clone, I build a three way using 2123H as a midrange and put the 2425H/2344A on top, is the compensation still recommended, or is this just a compensation when used 2 way for the midrange? Your answers have been much appreciated. I am going towards a 4430 clone, but it troubles me having these NOS 2123H just laying here! It has cooled off a little here and I am ready to start cutting wood for cabs, need to make up my mind. Lord, I'm like an old woman sometimes""

Yeah been there and done almost exactly that with the 2122H...nice.

Just run the 3134 version stock in the high pass filter with all the passive eq as is.

Russell,

Pm Rob (super mod) for some more specifics one the 2123.

Ian

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Naw, the shipping is too expensive and too dangerous. I've seen enough broken drivers. I'll take some music DVD's for therapy though.

Hello Russell

Heres your solution, build both. Try the 4430 first and see if you like them. It's a proven design that you can easilly clone. Live with them for a couple of months and see what you think. If you get the urge to try an upgrade bring the 2123 out of the closet. As far as the Aquaplas is concerned it sounds really good on this set up. That said try it stock first. No amount of Aquaplas/Dampening is going to make you happy if you don't like the basic horn in the original set-up. Have fun!!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I think it was three versions back...2002?

I recall detanting the operation of these passive thingys over a glass of wine and several paragraphs.

""I wondered if it might be a pop preventer of some sort, thanks again for the clarification. One last question, (sorry to ask so many) if instead of doing a 4430 clone, I build a three way using 2123H as a midrange and put the 2425H/2344A on top, is the compensation still recommended, or is this just a compensation when used 2 way for the midrange? Your answers have been much appreciated. I am going towards a 4430 clone, but it troubles me having these NOS 2123H just laying here! It has cooled off a little here and I am ready to start cutting wood for cabs, need to make up my mind. Lord, I'm like an old woman sometimes""

Yeah been there and done almost exactly that with the 2122H...nice.

Just run the 3134 version stock in the high pass filter with all the passive eq as is.

Russell,

Pm Rob (super mod) for some more specifics one the 2123.

Ian
    Thank you for the info. I have PM'd Rob on this before and he was most helpful, I have aquired an old 5234, and may use it, or go all passive with the original schematic.

My apologies,

Russellc

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Russell

Heres your solution, build both. Try the 4430 first and see if you like them. It's a proven design that you can easilly clone. Live with them for a couple of months and see what you think. If you get the urge to try an upgrade bring the 2123 out of the closet. As far as the Aquaplas is concerned it sounds really good on this set up. That said try it stock first. No amount of Aquaplas/Dampening is going to make you happy if you don't like the basic horn in the original set-up. Have fun!!

Rob
    Yes. that is a good idea, looking at your avatar gives me the idea to do a seperate box for the woofer, box for the 2123H, and one for the 2344. the Wife wont like it as well as a single box furniture grade attractive (to her) type of setups.....But she currently tolerates my A7s in the living room and loves the sound!

Thanks for replying to my idiot questions.

Russellc

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Everyone knows I loathe that quick and dirty garbage and I think people bring it up just to get a rise out of me. You could have sent him a PM.
    With All due respect, I was not aware of what you loath, and certainly didnt mean to get any rise out of you. I was looking for info and not in the least playing "forum games". Shesh, wait till my 4-way questions come up!

Don't worry, be happy
    Russellc

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Enough already. Forums are effed up by their very nature. It did not occur to me that you would take the second portion of my post as being directed at you. I thought I made sure it was a generalist post made to no one in particular. That's about all the explanation I am going to go into. None of your responses with respect to it make much sense to me. I guess you're taking something personal that you shouldn't. Ian had the right response.
    Agreed. After rereading, I understand that Sorry about the misunderstanding,
    I have edited to that effect.

again, thanks for all the info,
    I really do appreciate it,

Russellc

Either forum anouncement broken or there are more interesting things to read there.

Thread Information