Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pictures from Northridge and LA

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    $4,200 for the S4600; is that each or a pair? Tell me again: Why isn't that model sold in the USA? I think I'd like it.
    標準価格¥460,000(税込¥483,000)/1本

From Babelfish:
    Standard price XXYEN 460,000 (including tax XXYEN 483,000)/1

So...it must be each.

Also....the woofer is an LE14H-4
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    I've managed to add a bit of a narrative to the original photo essay. I'll shortly try and address all of the subsequent questions in this thread.
    Thanks Don... I was wondering what the hell I was looking at.

S4600... looks interesting. Can you shed any more light on it?

Widget

The 4600 uses the same HF driver as the Array1000, 175nd-3. The UHF is different, named 138Nd. It does not appear to incorporate a SonoGlass horn.

I read a report about them from a show in Sweden. They were compared to the K2 S5800. With price difference in mind the reporter was positively surprised at their performance.

Best regards Tim

Edit: And whats the deal about them 4428 beeing manufactured in the USA? When it is so, why can't we just head there and grab a pair before they ship them to Japan? (You might have guessed that i want one)

ozata
    Which are the models manufactured in this factory ??

JBL 4645
    I've managed to add a bit of a narrative to the original photo essay. I'll shortly try and address all of the subsequent questions in this thread.
    Don

That would be nice but I think a picture speaks a thousand words.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Don

That would be nice but I think a picture speaks a thousand words.
    Yeah but which words? Press 1 for English and 2 for Spanish.

Most of the questions in this thread appear to be covered by the narrative that I recently added. There are a few that weren't that are addressed below.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    On the right side of the fourth picture in post #2 picture is an enclosure (K2 S5800 I think) with a piece of tape affixed with the letters "STD" on it. What does this mean?
    I'm pretty sure that the "STD" refers to the fact that this system is a manufacturing standard example that is explained in more detail above. I'll let you in on a little secret - much of the activity that was going on in this room was likely scheduled for the benefit of the visiting guests. Production on the two Everests was exactly timed to match our tour and no other examples were behind them. The S5800 and 4428 appeared to have been put out for display and were not under assembly at the time. The brand new S4600 was also coincidentally rolling off the line at the exact moment of our arrival with no procession of mass production behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959 View Post
    Hey Giskard or Don:

noticed that there was a white dog in the room behind GT's living room, but can only make out the hindquarters. What type of dog is it?
    It's a super friendly female white lab that Greg rescued from a shelter. He has another dog that is quite shy and refused to make an appearance while we were there.

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    hehe.

But jbl do make the (Revel) drivers? Or am I misinnformed?
    Revel has their own engineering section within Northridge, but they often use the engineering resources from Harman Consumer. Jerry Moro, the transducer engineer for most high end JBL drivers, has designed a number of sub drivers that have been shared by Revel and JBL. However, many of the drivers used in Revel systems have been designed by their own staff.

ozata

I'm pretty sure that the "STD" refers to the fact that this system is a manufacturing standard example that is explained in more detail above. I'll let you in on a little secret - much of the activity that was going on in this room was likely scheduled for the benefit of the visiting guests. Production on the two Everests was exactly timed to match our tour and no other examples were behind them. The S5800 and 4428 appeared to have been put out for display and were not under assembly at the time. The brand new S4600 was also coincidentally rolling off the line at the exact moment of our arrival with no procession of mass production behind it.

you want to say that it is right a demonstration or right a small order?

I'm pretty sure that it was a demonstration for the benefit of the Japanese guests. Orders on all of these products are small so that this production line is usually focussed on one product at a time. That's why it was unusual to see a number of models on the line.

Don

Don, thanks for the photo essay tour ! I always enjoy these insights .

- Assuming the system auditions at Greg Timbers home were done with the tweeters disconnected , are you able to paraphrase & then share with us, the impressions of the Japanese guests ?

best regards <> Earl K

ozata
    It is like same surprising!! for the whole world.

I thought that it worked all the time with all the top-of-the-range models.

It's a super friendly female white lab that Greg rescued from a shelter. He has another dog that is quite shy and refused to make an appearance while we were there.
    Thanks Don...much appreciated...

Glad to see the dog is from a shelter...more people need to do that type of thing..

I'm pretty sure that it was a demonstration for the benefit of the Japanese guests. Orders on all of these products are small so that this production line is usually focussed on one product at a time. That's why it was unusual to see a number of models on the line.

Don
    Maybe not so unusual?

The time I visited JBL that smaller assembly line had no one working on it but hosted a variety of models: gorgeous K2-S9800s, a pair of blue-faced 4313s and I believe a pair of the big Revel cabs.
    It looked much more like custom hand assembly than even a minimal production run.

They obviously weren't setting up any demo for my benefit.

Thanks for sharing your stories and all the great pictures Don!
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Don

So what?! We got to see em didn't we?

Great pics. Keep em comming.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Very nice!

Picture 3 in set 2 is pretty impressive! I've given up trying to mount 1500AL's while the enclosures are vertical...
    Probably a good idea, but in that cabinet the first when is easy;he can set the motor in the hole and then reach through the other one and two-hand it into place. The second one is harder, but with that recessed mounting surface I think I know how he does it, though I wouldn't try it myself.

David

Thread Information