Thread: L26 vs. L40

L26 vs. L40

With my L36's sold, and in need of a "new" small JBL speaker system. I've narrowed my search to these 2 speakers..

I've read through many threads discussing how good the small 2-way JBL's are... Most notably the L19/4301B and L26, but I'd still like a system with the 10" woofer as I liked the bass performance of my L36's.. Wish JBL sold a LE10H variant 2-way ..

From what I've read is seems that the L100/4311/4312 may actually be a step down sonically not to mention how much they sell for on eBay these days, do you guys think it would be "smarter" to look for either a L26 or L40 versus trying to find a L100/4311/4312 to replace my L36's?

If so, which do you guys prefer, the L26 or L40?? thanks in advance...

Already own a pair of 4313B's, not looking for that type of sound, looking for something more similiar to the L100 or L36.. and would like to try a 2-way..

L26 vs. L40

Howdy to all, and This is my first post here. To Inspector34- I now own a set of L40a and love them.

I formerly owned L26( many years ago), and loved them as well. My basis for comparison now is limited to my memories, so may be somewhat(Ha!) faulty.I feel like both models are excellent speakers. My main assessment of the difference would be in the low end response. The tweeters are totally different in the two- L40=033 dome , L26 = cone,(sorry,no model # handy).The high response, I feel is similar- that is to say, excellent.I do think the L40 domes are capable of more output, but the brilliance control is right there!

Now.to the low end. The L40s, due to their larger cabs, seem quite a bit fuller,rounder, more solid. Some feel they're boomy- maybe just a bit to me. But,I like it! I run my tone controls basically flat-maybe a one-click tweak + or - for most material.

Overall, I really like the L40s. Very clean room-filling sound,even at lower levels.I'm an apartment-dweller, so this quality helps.So, L26- Lean and clean- and capable of loud performance! L40- As above, but more-fatter, but not really bloated.

Of course, all this is subjective- YMMV.Either way, these are both fine speaker system choices. Hope this helps in some small way.

Later...... willhowl

P.S. In re-reading your original post, I feel that the L40 is worthy of your closer attention- (my 2 coppers)
    Last edited by willhowl; 09-01-2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: tweeter model # correction

Thank you, I was hoping someone here owns them both and would be able to give me a better recommendation.. There's a pair of L40's on Ebay I'm considering.. Just miss having a small set of JBL's in my home...

The L46 is in this catagory of speaker (2 way, 8" and dome tweeter) and are really good sounding.

I am not sure how much help I can offer. I have a set of both the L26 and the L40. The L26 are the A series and still all original. They seem very forward but nice and clear. The L40's have upgraded caps on the cross-overs to bring them back into original specs. They seem more laid back and very smooth. I prefer the sound of the L40 over the L26 but I would have to upgrade the caps on the L26 to get them back to spec for a real fair comparison. I would agree that the L40 has a bit more bottom end without being boomy.

Jay

Im kinda a biased since i own l26's. they are great speakers. Ive had them for about 6 years. and for all of what me and my roomy put them through. They still sound like they should.

steve

I think the L26's are a lot of fun to listen to. Surprisingly you don't see many pairs for sale even though they supposedly made a lot of them.

Mike

That's because they were either parted out or sent to the landfill. But If your heart is set on a pair they are easy to find.

jey
    Hi !

I'm from Belgium, Europe...

My dad bought new L26 on the 70' years (I listen them since 1977 ...)

So I think I know their sound very well ! I LOVE the bass and the sound of those speakers... A realy 'HOT' Sound. My dad is listening Jazz and Blue on those speakers, but you can Also listen 'Techno' and 'House Music', they play ver good !!!

Today, I have just bought two weeters in the USA to replace the original ones (I have bought LE25-4 tweeters). Because original ones are broken today.

L-26 Is really a good speaker !! I had many speakers for my own usage (Tannoy - B&W - KEF). And Really, the olds speakers of my dad are the best I have listened today !

Thread Information