Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less mid range output on JBL control 1

JBL 4645

Smile Less mid range output on JBL control 1

I’ve noticed that one of the or two of JBL control 1 seams to be a little less in the midrange output the high frequency end seams okay, I was wondering it could be something to do with the passive crossover network?

Is it possible that there’s a faulty passive crossover to reduce mid range output? And if so can the situation be corrected with minimal fuss with a little soldering technique.

Thanks.

Check the polarity. That is a common fault.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Check the polarity. That is a common fault.

Guido

Hmm you mean common as to reduce the midrange output via the passive crossover, are you sure about this, I mean that does sound very odd.

No, matter I’ll run a thorough check of the passive crossover when I get back from the shops, I still find it odd though that it would be the passive crossover. What I’ll do is disconnect the bass mid terminals and power it directly with low level pink noise I’ll test a few out to determine whether it’s in fact a passive crossover fault or other.

Thanks.

Have you opened the speaker and changed any of the wiring internal to the driver? If you have not done that for a while its probably not internal to the speaker then. Unless your components have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Guido

Hmm you mean common as to reduce the midrange output via the passive crossover, are you sure about this, I mean that does sound very odd.

No, matter I’ll run a thorough check of the passive crossover when I get back from the shops, I still find it odd though that it would be the passive crossover. What I’ll do is disconnect the bass mid terminals and power it directly with low level pink noise I’ll test a few out to determine whether it’s in fact a passive crossover fault or other.

Thanks.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Have you opened the speaker and changed any of the wiring internal to the driver? If you have not done that for a while its probably not internal to the speaker then. Unless your components have failed.
    Hi there Heather

Well that’s what I find unusual I opened two of up yesterday to see if the wiring was accidentally reversed. But all that would do is create a less bass output when two loudspeakers are playing the same bass signal.

No this I think is something other the ole JBL control 1 will produce bass it just sounds less in the mid range output around -3 to 4 db.

Anyway I’ve just got back from Winton high street so I’m going to relax for a few hours then take another look at the situation. If two JBL control 1 play without the internal passive crossover connected and each output a reassemble SPL that should be equal then it’s down to the passive crossover.

If the JBL control 1 that is playing slightly less than the others in its midrange output via testing it directly to the bass mid driver then it would be the fault of the bass mid driver.

Check the fuse inside the control 1, if it blows the output is reduced. The fuse seems to short a resistor and when it blows the resistor lowers the output to the driver. Unusual crossover feature it is.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

JBL 4645
    duaneage

Thank you I’ll check the fuse with a volt metre again than thank you for bring that to my attention.

JBL 4645
    I checked the fuse by eye and with the volt metre and it checked out okay. I then tested the two JBL control 1 connected directly to the speaker cable terminal and there was a, -1db reduction and yes -1db does bother me its all about principles.

So we can rule out the crossover for starts.

How can someone fail to notice this before leaving the factory?

So you ask me what could it be, could it have something to do with the voice coil on brand new product?

Control 1's in tent sale

Did you see that boxes of six of these are offered in the tent sales? Looks like a good price for 6 pcs.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by mwaldron View Post
    Did you see that boxes of six of these are offered in the tent sales? Looks like a good price for 6 pcs.
    The what? I can buy these models or the black JBL Control 1 for little as much as £35.10p at (Future Projections) here in the UK.

http://www.fproj.com/fp_sound/speakers.html

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    The what? I can buy these models or the black JBL Control 1 for little as much as £35.10p at (Future Projections) here in the UK.

http://www.fproj.com/fp_sound/speakers.html
    the JBL Tent Sale, my good man ...

http://www.jblpro.com/commerce/tent_...c77919e0bb8d33

Midway down the page - Quan 6 White Control 1s for $210 US - lets see - thats about $35 each

(or go here and click the Closeouts link, probably on pg 2
    http://www.jblpro.com/commerce/tent_sale/catalog/)

Sorry, big whoops ...

We Cannot Ship Outside of the USA At This Time
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Roughly 17.50 GBP ea.

CONTROL 1-WH (6pcs)
    [Control 1-WH]$210.00

JBL 4645
    http://www.jblpro.com/commerce/tent_...c77919e0bb8d33

That site is a bit steep for prices isn’t ! try looking for a JBL product under (Google Products) you’ll find the best lowest prices going believe me.

At $35 bucks a pop they become darn near like disposable diapers. Use them and throw them away.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    At $35 bucks a pop they become darn near like disposable diapers. Use them and throw them away.
    LOL well there not bad diapers at least they come with a free mounting bracket.

Thread Information