Thread: 4406 modding

4406 modding

Hi! First post here! My name is Jonas, I live in sweden and work as an FOH mixer.
    I have a pair of JBL 4406 monitors at home which i use to mix music i record in my home studio.

I recently thought about modding the crossover with better components, but im having problems finding the right values for it.

The original 4406 crossover uses a 3uf mylar film cap, and one 6uf mylar film cap bypassed with what looks to be 0.01uf film caps (polystyrene caps perhaps?)

I was thinking of replacing the 3uf, and 6uf caps with better ones. But problem is that i cant find any of those exact values.

For the 3uf that isnt really a problem, as i can parallel two 1.5uf caps. But for the 6uf cap i cant find two values of caps that i can buy that combined would make for a 6uf in total.

So im wondering, how critical is the exact value of this cap in this application? Can i get away with 6.2uf which is the closest i can get using whats available here to me (4,7uf+1,5uf)? Or do i have to search harder for caps that would fit the bill?

What would you recommend for bypass caps. 10n polystyrene, or 10n polypropylene?

Thanks alot for any insight! I tried searching the forums, but i couldnt find much info about modding the 4406 speakers.

Have a nice day!
    /jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Jonkan View Post
    For the 3uf that isnt really a problem, as i can parallel two 1.5uf caps. But for the 6uf cap i cant find two values of caps that i can buy that combined would make for a 6uf in total.

What would you recommend for bypass caps. 10n polystyrene, or 10n polypropylene?

Have a nice day!
    /jonas
    Hello jonas,

I understand your question not completely. Why don't you take parallel four 1,5µ Caps for the 6µ Cap? Isn't there sufficient place?
    I prefer MKP = polypropylene or siver/mica caps.

regards
    juergen

3.3 + 2.7 = 6.0, no? :dont-know

Solen and Dayton (Bennic?) both have 3.0, also....

I guess i could try 4 1.5uf caps. But it would be pretty tight since i have to stuff 2 more of them to get the 3uf value also.

I cant find any 2.7uf, or 3uf quality caps where i live. 3.3uf is no problem though. I have a shop nearby that sells the SCR caps, they should be ok, right?

How about the bypass caps. Polyprop, or Polystyrene? I can easily get both. If nobody has tried it, i guess i have to try both and listen.

Is it worth it to change the caps btw? This is my first attempt at "tinkering" with speakers, so i have no idea how much difference it will make, if any.

/J

Obsolete
    4406's with charge coupled networks are pretty impressive little loudspeakers.
    I might still have a pair of the cc networks sitting on a shelf somewhere.
    I don't think they are "fancy built" like alot of my networks are though.

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but what are charge coupled networks?

Any info on how i could build some? Schematics, pcb:s, etc?

Or are you selling?

Is it not worth it to modify the original passive n4406 network?

Sorry, that was alot of questions.

But seriously, if you have a pair of these you can part with im definately interested. How much would you like for them? I guess i can always upgrade some components to make them more "fancy built" as you say later on.

Thanks!
    /Jonas

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonkan View Post
    But seriously, if you have a pair of these you can part with im definately interested.
    Well I found them believe it or not and snapped a photo real quick. Send me a PM with shipping details and I'll send them off to you. You can pay the freight. You'll have to figure out how to get them in your stock 4406's. I rebuilt all my 4406's as mirror imaged pairs back when I was doing this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4406 'charge coupled network' --need someone to build one for me

Hi All,

This is my first post so I will be brief. I purchased a 'new/old still in the box' pair of JBL 4406's. I just love'em! But I keep seeing random mentions that they even sound better if you have the 'charge coupled' variant? Was this standard on certain versions of the 4406's? How can one tell if they have one of these variants?

I am assuming this is a custom mod to the 4406's as one would need to add a battery to the network.

On that note... Is there any pro out there who would be willing to upgrade the capacitors in my 4006's and build me a charge-coupled network for these puppies? Of course they would have to treat them like new-born puppies because they are absolutely pristine in condition! I would also like to be able to bi-amp these speakers as long as there would be no structural or cosmetic harm done to the cabinets and veneer.

I also own a pair of 4408's. In my non-dedicated listening room they come off a bit flabby in the mids and I am surprised at how little bass come out of them given the size of the woofers. The 4406's seem to merge better with my sub and clean up some of the choked/congested mid to upper mids that I think the Emotiva gear is imparting to the sound. I also have standing wave and low-end phase issues that I keep wrestling with, less of course on vinyl playback.

I am still new at this 'audiophile/music lover' world so please excuse my exuberance and naivete.

My gear consists of Emotiva amp and pre-amp (stereo only), Audio Technica turntable (no laughing), near top-of-the-line Sony SACD player and a Music Hall dac25.3 for up-rezing of CD's and hard drive playback, and a Yamaha sub.

Any tips, tricks or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brett

Factory manual for this speaker is here:
    http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Stu...eries/4406.pdf

Basically, they are simple 2 way monitors with the common 035 Ti domed tweeter.
    I'd think you could do either one or the other:
    (1) biamp them with an EXTERNAL crossover and 2 nice power amps
    OR
    (2) Build a charge couple passive internal crossover

But not both ...

Quote Originally Posted by brettMc View Post
    Hi All,

This is my first post so I will be brief. I purchased a 'new/old still in the box' pair of JBL 4406's. I just love'em! But I keep seeing random mentions that they even sound better if you have the 'charge coupled' variant? Was this standard on certain versions of the 4406's? How can one tell if they have one of these variants?

I am assuming this is a custom mod to the 4406's as one would need to add a battery to the network.

On that note... Is there any pro out there who would be willing to upgrade the capacitors in my 4006's and build me a charge-coupled network for these puppies? Of course they would have to treat them like new-born puppies because they are absolutely pristine in condition! I would also like to be able to bi-amp these speakers as long as there would be no structural or cosmetic harm done to the cabinets and veneer.

I also own a pair of 4408's. In my non-dedicated listening room they come off a bit flabby in the mids and I am surprised at how little bass come out of them given the size of the woofers. The 4406's seem to merge better with my sub and clean up some of the choked/congested mid to upper mids that I think the Emotiva gear is imparting to the sound. I also have standing wave and low-end phase issues that I keep wrestling with, less of course on vinyl playback.

I am still new at this 'audiophile/music lover' world so please excuse my exuberance and naivete.

My gear consists of Emotiva amp and pre-amp (stereo only), Audio Technica turntable (no laughing), near top-of-the-line Sony SACD player and a Music Hall dac25.3 for up-rezing of CD's and hard drive playback, and a Yamaha sub.

Any tips, tricks or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brett
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information