Thread: SR4725X no midrange

SR4725X no midrange

Just finished my home made SR4725X cabs today and got them all together and one cab. has no mids. I bypassed all my Eq,limiter, ect...and ran from the mixer to the amp. I even swaped channels on the amp, channels from my source, and changed source material. Still one is very low in the midrange than the other when paned L to R. I am using brand new JBL xovers from the SR4725X and 2226H woofs and 2425G horns. Have not yet tried to trouble shoot this as its geting late. Should I swap Xovers or woofers to see where the problem is?

Could a brand new xover be out of wack?

pelly3s
    it could be the crossover i would swap them first and see if the problem moves with the crossover. now is it low mids or upper mids that are the problem

2425G?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    2425G?
    Sorry 2425J I was tired

My guess is that it would be uper mids...the range right before the horn comes into play. Seems like the 2226H is rolling off way to early.

Wrong Impedance Compression Driver !

Quote Originally Posted by clubman
    Sorry 2425J I was tired
    - Your 2425J driver has the wrong impedance diaphragm to work correctly with this 4725x crossover. Your crossover wants to see a 2425H driver ( which is a nominal 8 ohm load / a 2425J is nominally rated as being 16 ohms )
    - It's little wonder you have some holes in the frequency curve ( near the crossover region ) .

Solution
    - Buy a pair of 2426H ( or 2425H ) drivers from eBay ( they're typically cheap enough ) / then eBay what you presently own / or else / buy some 8 ohm ( JBL made ) replacement diaphragms .
    - Don't ask us about the viability of using cheaper "knockoff" diaphragms as replacements .

Quote Originally Posted by clubman
    My guess is that it would be uper mids...the range right before the horn comes into play. Seems like the 2226H is rolling off way to early.
    - Don't guess, make some response measurements .
    - If you're going to fool around with this stuff / buy some RTA software ( such as TrueAudios' "TrueRTA" ) so you can more accurately identify ( for yourself & us ) where things have gone wrong when you have design mishaps.

- & No , it's not worth your while ( or anyones' for that matter ) to attempt a redesign of the passive components in this crossover ( for your "J" drivers ). It'll be an exercise in futility .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Use biamp mode (with highpass protection for the HF) to determine if the problem is in the woofers or the mid/high drivers themselves.

Both horns are 16 ohm....the problem follows the woofer when moved to the other cab. I checked the DCR on that woofer and it is 1.5 ohm. Yes RTA software is in the future but I could very clearly hear the differance with my ears. Didnt need software to tell me. Looks like recone time on that 2226H.

Quote Originally Posted by clubman View Post
    Both horns are 16 ohm....the problem follows the woofer when moved to the other cab. I checked the DCR on that woofer and it is 1.5 ohm. Yes RTA software is in the future but I could very clearly hear the differance with my ears. Didnt need software to tell me. Looks like recone time on that 2226H.
    Very good....you figured it out....

Though EarlK is right about the impedance/crossover mismatch. You can just replace the diaphragms to D8R2425...but the labels won't match.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Though EarlK is right about the impedance/crossover mismatch. You can just replace the diaphragms to D8R2425...but the labels won't match.
    Yes I am aware of this but at the time I dont want to shell out the dough for 2 new 8ohm diaphragms. Ive talked to many people about this and they say its not a huge deal.(evan a autherized JBL service center) It sounds fine to me with the 16 ohm driver and its not used for critical playback. If they ever fail me I will replace with the 8 ohm...but for now its not worth it to me.

Thread Information