Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4612 project

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    For "Baby Cheeks," seems like 2342 would fit....
    Just barely. The big issue would be it stick out a bet far.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - I have a preference in making cabinets as tiny as possible / therefore ( if my project ) , I'd be trying to "get away with it", by using horns as small as possible. As such, I'd force myself to make a higher point work ( in the 2 to 3K region ) . Alas, by the same token, I'd be jettisoning the 2118J(s) for an 8 ohm ( 8" ) woofer with a less obtuse basket ( ie ; something with cut sides ). Both RCF and B&C make very reasonable candidates / with 1.5" & 2" voice coils , respectively. ( FWIW, I also prefer , one woofer to one horn driver for these "mini-upe" designs ) .
    Would be cute!
    - I wouldn't let an existing "bump" ( say in the area of 1K to 3K ) deter me from going with the higher crossover point. Bumps can easily be handled by LCR notch filters. I believe this site now has enough info in it about LCRs , to help you design your own.
    - A series LCR ( paralleled across the driver ) can also be made to work ( ie; offer attenuation ) as long as the filters' Fo point is higher than the F3 point of the lowest pole ( element ) in the lowpass filter .
    I have work LCRs before and they can make a big difference. 18 Sound has some kit info and use a LCR in there kit lit. I could pop the circuit into LMS and sweep a 2407 or whatwever I end up with and adjust it until I can get them to flatten out.

use the force luke..

Stay away from the thin-paper 2118 types as they will only crumple and fold with any real signal below 100hz. Same for the ring radiator familybelow 4K. The 2416/17/18 suffer from heat buildup failure unless the duty cycle is very low.

I built a handful of nearfield monitors that had to be wall mounted on the sides of a small stage in Kwest.

I ended up using the automotive GTI1000 10" 4ohm highpower LF and the 2426 on the 2373 ( MR ) horn. To make the cabinet real narrow, I cut about 1.25 off each side of the horn. They are biamped with a DSP at 1.2K

That box kicks butt and can be eq'ed up real close. Another advantage is that it serves as a backup to the house mains should they fail and that has been done a few times...!

If I remember the box is 12 wide, 10 deep and about 17 tall.

My portable system speakers are clones of the 4892-90 ARRAY series that use the 2217H ( ferrite mag ) that is inbetween the 2226 and 2206 in performance / size but it has a squared off frame that is only 12.75 wide!

JBL had a bunch on the tent sale at 145 each last spring but they went fast.

sub

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    Stay away from the thin-paper 2118 types as they will only crumple and fold with any real signal below 100hz. Same for the ring radiator familybelow 4K. The 2416/17/18 suffer from heat buildup failure unless the duty cycle is very low.
    The 2118 will be in good hands. I have 120hz filters on the mixer channels and I could add subs if need be. I was also thinking about the heat issue and going to a 2426 style driver would be much safer.

MTM

Might be returning to the MTM setup.
    Use 2426 type drivers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mommy it hertz

Well depending on your budget, a pair of 2012H 10" cones will give you the output and handling ( 250ea ).

9.25" square frames means a thin box...and the frames are black ( required for cool ).

But then I suggest a pair of 2452's .

THAT would kill on vocals.

sub

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof
    Well depending on your budget, a pair of 2012H 10" cones will give you the output and handling ( 250ea ).

9.25" square frames means a thin box...and the frames are black ( required for cool ).
    - I designed up a minitrap that uses 2012s' paired up with 2426H drivers on cutdown RCF 9041 cd horns. Subs are 18" Transparence ( Quebec ) somethings . These 10" minis are head & shoulders the favourite choice of my clients ( from the Corporate side of the business ) .

- An 8" based mini could be usefull / though a lot more limited in overall applications ( even when used in multiples ). I tend to build up inventory in multiples of 8 ( if I like a design ).
    - After doing a few industrials with only EAW JF50S / one begins to realize just how small a box, one can get away with / when there are some subs to do the heavy lifting. ( JF50s are a ferro fluid soft-dome tweeter over twin 5 1/2" drivers )

- OBJ was looking for ( the last time I checked ) something to fit nicely into his Subaru ?? station wagon ( if I remember the car correctly ) to support semi-acoustic acts ( such as flamingco acts ).

- ( IMHO ) Dedicating 30" of height to a twin 8" anything is a waste of space . That's generally the standard height of an enclosure with a 15" & a horn ( in some sort of trapezoidal enclosure ). A fifteen or twelve based design will always walk all over anything achievable from two 8 inchers .

- I think I've said enough now / so I'm bowing out .

<> Earl

OK

Back to the drawing board.
    I'll put the 4612 back together, put them on block and start the hunt for a pair of 12" 2 ways.

OBJ

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    -- I somewhat walked Zilch & RobH through the process of how these filters "work" ( or don't ) in that position, sometime ago. I don't remember if that particular exercise registered .
    I certainly got that they're a shunt, and require source impedance to function....

Thread Information