Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Internal speaker Wire

internal speaker wire

My personal feeling / recomendation is.....

Use the largest stranded wire that will fit into the binding posts / spring clips of your drivers, and keep the length as short as you can, while still allowing installation and removal of the driver from the cabinet with the leads attached.

My reasoning is as follows....

stranded wire = more flexibility, and better contact at the binding posts or spring clips, as the stranded wire will 'squish' and provide more surface area and therefore less resistance at the contact junction

largest wire possible = less dc resistance

shortest practical length = less dc resistance

your money will be better spent on more JBL/Altec Lansing/Urei speaker parts, than on 'audiophile grade' speaker wire.

your money would also be wasted if your buying ceramic insulators to suspend your speaker wire above the carpet in your listening room....the attached picture shows that plenty of fools love to give away their money......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector View Post
    your money would also be wasted if your buying ceramic insulators to suspend your speaker wire above the carpet in your listening room....the attached picture shows that plenty of fools love to give away their money......

What if you're like me and don't have carpet?! LOL

j/k of course.
    Charles
    http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p1014411387.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector View Post
    My personal feeling / recomendation is.....
    Use the largest stranded wire that will fit into the binding posts / spring clips of your drivers, and keep the length as short as you can, while still allowing installation and removal of the driver from the cabinet with the leads attached.
    That is what I recommend too. However, a customer of mine recently had me remove some perfectly good Cardas litz wire from the inside of his speakers and replace it with battery pack laden silver wire from Audioquest. The longest run of wire was 28". Did it make a difference?

You bet it did! He was thrilled with the results. Did I hear a difference? Maybe, but I think it was a reflection on his enthusiasm more than anything else... the bottom line was, I was happy with the original 12 ga copper wire, the Cardas was also fine, and so was the Audioquest. Since the Audioquest wire made the speaker's owner the happiest, it was obviously the best choice.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I've watched your postings on cables to the point where I think you must think you spent too much on cables and are trying to make yourself feel better about it. You are not the only one who argues in favor of expensive cables, but you are the only one who's whole argument is to call anybody who disagrees with you a tin eared idiot. Come up with a real argument (even my mother said so) or leave it alone.
    Well, what is a "real argument" in this matter? The best argument must be to say I hear that the sound is getting better if you compare a thin old type wire with a better so called "hi quality" wire. That said I do not claim to say that a pair of 10 ft speaker wire at $10.000 is better than a pair of 10 ft speaker wire at $500. I also find it easier to hear differences between interconnect cables than speaker cables.

Regarding "cable idiots" I was referring to myself and the ones like me, but I think it is strange that people can't hear differences between some cables.

Anyway, it was meant as a funny way of saying it.

but I think it is strange that people can't hear differences between some cables.
    They're blessed.

Jorg

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Well, what is a "real argument" in this matter? The best argument must be to say I hear that the sound is getting better if you compare a thin old type wire with a better so called "hi quality" wire. That said I do not claim to say that a pair of 10 ft speaker wire at $10.000 is better than a pair of 10 ft speaker wire at $500. I also find it easier to hear differences between interconnect cables than speaker cables.

Regarding "cable idiots" I was referring to myself and the ones like me, but I think it is strange that people can't hear differences between some cables.

Anyway, it was meant as a funny way of saying it.
    I hadn't considered that English might be your second language. I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I hadn't considered that English might be your second language. I apologize.
    That is Thom. What is I trying to say is that 0.00000 wires is not as good an another one.

00Robin
    oh....I must have been a real do-do. I did mine with Phoenix Gold,and I buried it in the edges of the carpet and under and it sounded perfect to me.

At this house,I just have it laying there and it still sounds perfect. mmmmm,maybe I need to listen to some other wire somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by ChopsMX5 View Post
    I usually use 14awg OFC cheapie speaker cable for internal wiring. Heck, what am I talking about... I even use that wire for running to the amps as well.

I think that wire is waaayyy too over-rated. I've tried Kimber 8TC, Analysis Bi-Oval 12, Cardas Quadlink, Transparent Audio, Moster M series, etc, etc, etc. All of them sounded the same when you get right down to it. The wire business is just a gimic and they're just out to get your money.

I say, as long as you have the proper gauge wire for the length you need, you're perfectly fine with any decent quality OFC wire.

Just my 2 cents.
    Nothing aimed at Charles here, but I do have to mention that there are potential problems with some "cheapie" wire. I just came across some no-name clear jacket zip cable that had one silver colored conductor and one copper colored conductor. I say 'had' because the silver colored conductor still looks fine, but the copper colored conductor is a greenish-bronze color for the entire length of the cable.

The jacket must have reacted with the metal, and allowed/caused the cable to deteriorate right inside the jacket. A VOM measured significant resistance, obviously. YMMV, of course.

Here's an example pic I found on line (guess it's happened before), not of my cable:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Nothing aimed at Charles here, but I do have to mention that there are potential problems with some "cheapie" wire. I just came across some no-name clear jacket zip cable that had one silver colored conductor and one copper colored conductor. I say 'had' because the silver colored conductor still looks fine, but the copper colored conductor is a greenish-bronze color for the entire length of the cable.

The jacket must have reacted with the metal, and allowed/caused the cable to deteriorate right inside the jacket. A VOM measured significant resistance, obviously. YMMV, of course.

Here's an example pic I found on line (guess it's happened before), not of my cable:
    Hi there. No problem at all. What I was referring to when I said "cheapie cable" was something like the 14awg "Theater Series" cable from Monster, AR or RatShack. Nothing special or expensive with regular ole' OFC on both sides.

And as for your one cable turning completely green for the entire length, I have some original 12awg Monster cables that are completely green for the entire 15' lengths. Then again, these cables date back to about 1983 and obviously are no longer used!! They look just like the ones in your picture.

Just as a side note, I do miss the smell of fresh Monster cables in a room. LOL!
    Charles

Those Cable supports look they'd go nicely with some air break switches. (always wondered what people did with old ceramic line insulators.)

What if you're like me and don't have carpet?! LOL

j/k of course.
    Well, you gotta rig 'em from the ceiling then....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    ... from the ceiling then....
    Industry has some appropriate offers [first picture].
    The second picture shows what will happen if cables are not properly burnt in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Well, you gotta rig 'em from the ceiling then....
    Yeah, but if I do that, I might pick up short wave radio or CB radio traffic, and I don't want that.
    Charles

00Robin
    Yeah, but if I do that, I might pick up short wave radio or CB radio traffic, and I don't want that.
    seriously?

Thread Information