Thread: LE8-1 Information

LE8-1 Information

Hello all ! My first post to this wonderful forum I have acquired a very nice pair of LE8-1 full range speakers that were removed from a very minty pair of Lancer 33's. They are identical to the ones above. I cannot seem to find any information on these in any of the JBL catalogs. Is there any JBL guru here that can help me out? The cabinets seem to be a early version of the 33's yellowish badge that says 8 ohms. Thanks for any replies , Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by virmagicus View Post
    I have acquired a very nice pair of LE8-1 full range speakers that were removed from a very minty pair of Lancer 33's. They are identical to the ones above. I cannot seem to find any information on these in any of the JBL catalogs. Is there any JBL guru here that can help me out? The cabinets seem to be a early version of the 33's yellowish badge that says 8 ohms. Thanks for any replies , Jeff
    I'm no guru, But I've seen some like these before.

They are basically LE8Ts that were destined to be put in a lansing cabinet at the factory. The earlier, less common, LE8 had a black diaphram and a "whizzer cone". JBL sometimes dusted the whites cones with a little black paint, I guess so they wouldn't show through the grilles. The surrounds on your speakers look black rather than white with a dusting of black paint though. So they may be later than around 1974 when they switched from a white to a black surround that looks like yours. (or maybe yours were reconed)

Since they weren't being sold as a separate component they didn't get the standard model nameplate with a serial number. (I have an L54 trimline and the LE8T inside doesn't have any kind of tag or model number on it.) It also doesn't have nice spring terminals for the hookup wires because they were soldered at the factory.

Since this was never intended to be sold as a separate speaker component it was never listed in the catalogs.
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Thread Information