Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 2245H vs 2241H vs 2242H vs 2235H vs TAD 1601 Performance over the 30hz - 200Hz

JBL 2245H vs 2241H vs 2242H vs 2235H vs TAD 1601 Performance over the 30hz - 200Hz

Hi All,

I'm just messing around with some gear and I wanted to get the experts opinion on the following:

Basically - I'm looking for a bass bin that would provide good musical bass over the 30Hz - 200Hz range.

I'm really not concerned with performance above 200Hz as I will be crossing over to a full range driver above 200hz. In my application, higher the efficiency, the better for me.

When searching craigslist, one can easily file DJ/club gear where bass bins with dual 15" or dual 18" are being employed.

For example - one can find a JBL SR4719X with dual 2241 pretty cheap (relatively speaking).

Are these drivers not considered "musical" or "audiophile" enough? Ultimately, I don't want to spend alot of money trying to obtain TADs or AE TD15 or even the JBL 2235H, when one would not be able to tell much difference between the performance of these speakers over the 30hz - 200hz range.

Any thoughts?

Pretty sure that it was answered 100 times before ;-) Look below. Similar threads.

For 30-250Hz, I would definitely go with the 2245 if 10 cu ft isn't a problem.
    How about a K/E145 between 50 and 300Hz? Add the small powered sub of your choice to drop below 50Hz?

What is your "full range" upper range device?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Pretty sure that it was answered 100 times before ;-) Look below. Similar threads.
    Ha - duly noted - will do a little more search.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    For 30-250Hz, I would definitely go with the 2245 if 10 cu ft isn't a problem.
    How about a K/E145 between 50 and 300Hz? Add the small powered sub of your choice to drop below 50Hz?

What is your "full range" upper range device?

Widget
    Just bought a pair of Azurahorns - was going to try and combine them with Tang-Band 1808 8" full range drivers. The horns & driver combo can apparently play from 150hz - 20,000hz.

I plan on crossing the horns to the bass bin at 200Hz.

In regards to the box size, the 10 cubic feet may be bit large.

For now, I might just use my JBL W15GTI subs (3.5 cu.ft. sealed) for the 30hz - 200hz for the sake of avoiding the need to build something in the near future. I can't remember where I saw the response curve, but I think the JBL W15GTI is relatively flat to 200hz.

Part of the reason why I was considering the subs listed in the title of this thread is because they are so readily available used on CL.

Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    I can't remember where I saw the response curve, but I think the JBL W15GTI is relatively flat to 200hz.
    The W15GTi has a very heavy cone. I don't know if it can really do 200Hz. Remember that it's primary use is in boom cars. It's not a musical woofer. One note bass. But I am sure it will give you great 20-80Hz

The W15GTi has a very heavy cone. I don't know if it can really do 200Hz. Remember that it's primary use is in boom cars. It's not a musical woofer. One note bass. But I am sure it will give you great 20-80Hz

Thanks Lee - You're probably right. I have them crossed a 80hz with the EQ around 20Hz.

Haven't tested their performance beyond 80Hz though.

I found the following measurements for W15GTi in "35V infinite baffle, measured inn an anechoic chamber"

Name:  4383499824_6552a657ba_o.jpg
Views: 7609
Size:  73.4 KB

Once I build everything I need for the horn - I guess it would not take much for me to sit them on top of my 1) JBL W15GTi subs, or my 2) DIY 4345 and use the 2245H

The 2245 remains, in my opinion, a very good musical subwoofer. You can easily make a 36" x 23.75" x 23.75" cabinet from one single sheet of plywood, plus the bracing. The rear corners can even be cut at 45° to avoid standing waves. That's 11.5cft and it could easily fit under the television to make a 2' tall stand. Some people think a 2245 is so generous infra bass that it shouldn't be put in a room corner. So, right in between under the television seems right Also, if you use a sub to complement a bass horn, be aware that if the horn is 7' long, then it is 7' behind the horn's mount, that's serious time misalignement with your sub. You'll need to eirher put the horns forward by 7' or use a digital crossover to delay your sub.

The 2245 remains, in my opinion, a very good musical subwoofer.
    I agree - I love the way it sounds in my DIY 4345.

I don't plan on using a bass-horn for the bass bin.

In my application, I would need whatever driver I decide on the play mid-bass and bass, in other words, it should be able to play all the way up to 200Hz.

I agree on your recommendation on the JBL 2245 as even JBL deemed it suitable to play up to 290hz in the 4345 Studio Monitor.

The only thing that bugs me about the 2245H is that they are NOT easy to find, and if you happen to find one - they sell at quite a premium.

Whats great though with the 2245 is that 2245 and 2240 baskets are cheap. They usually trade for $35 to $45 while a JBL recone kit is around $250 if i am not mistaken (maybe higher these days). Therefore, for $300 you get a superb brand new subwoofer. That's a deal. A 2240h would give you a nice bass, but with a different caracter. Not as low, byt with more presence "where it counts" especially if your system on top won't go below 200Hz.

And beware of eBay sellers passing 2240s as 2245s. There are a lot of unscrupulous people on eBay...

Whats great though with the 2245 is that 2245 and 2240 baskets are cheap. They usually trade for $35 to $45 while a JBL recone kit is around $250 if i am not mistaken (maybe higher these days). Therefore, for $300 you get a superb brand new subwoofer. That's a deal.
    I completely agree.

I got a couple of working 2245's a few years back. They did sound good, but not in the same league as fresh recone's. Conclusion- get baskets and have them professionally reconed!
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    Conclusion- get baskets and have them professionally reconed!
    That is exactly what I did when I built my DIY 4345 - and yes - I'm totally satisfied

Slightly OT

I completely agree.

I got a couple of working 2245's a few years back. They did sound good, but not in the same league as fresh recone's. Conclusion- get baskets and have them professionally reconed!
    I think this is the best practice with all vintage JBLs when practical. Used drivers rarely are still up to spec... and we never know how hard a life they have lived. To buy a beautiful looking vintage driver at top dollar is always tempting but can easily be disappointing.

Widget

I completely agree.

I have "feeling" that the original cones and the cones in the 2245 re-cone kits today are not the same quality.

reagrds
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    I have "feeling" that the original cones and the cones in the 2245 re-cone kits today are not the same quality.

reagrds
    Ivica
    I can't argue with a "feeling", but I doubt you are right. There have been a few iterations of the cone design, but I do believe they are all of the same quality. That particular driver has been built in the same plant in Mexico for a very long time now.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    But I do believe they are all of the same quality.

Widget
    I sure hope you are right as I may eventually go with the JBL 2245H. I love the way the sound - they just require one big box

Thread Information