Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is an Audiophile?

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    In any event, your first results I am almost certain will be enjoyable. You might find your results "open" the sound, by the removal/lessening of resonance(s). You will also surely see how the LF rolls-off, and then we'll just have to start talking about 2245's... lol
    Basstraps and room placement and geometry is also a great way to reduce these resonances.
    The problem with eq is that you can only eq rigth at one place in the room (the ideal listening position), and you can even aggravate dips or bumps in the LF in others places in the room.
    In my view EQ comes at a last ressort to fine tune the global response of the room at the listening position, but room adjustement comes first. Bass traps and other absorbers are also the only way to adjust things such as reverb time at different frequencies.

00Robin
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I'd have to agree, JBL and ALTEC users have gone beyond the term 'Audiophile', as both of these brands enjoy a cult following.

And we all know there is a valid reason for this, dont we?

MJC
    I consider myself and others of this forum, true audiophiles, as we all use JBLs.
    Then there are others, who think they're audiophiles, but are merely only prey for snake oil salemen.
    $100,000 TT, $1500 interconnect, Richard Grey's Power Co conditioners, and the bottom, most stuff with Monster Cable name on it.

As a JBL nut for a very long time, I have a system that is all JBL with a handfull of other gear as well, Perreaux amps, Roland eq's and the like. The gear I use was top end in its day and today it wouldnt rate very highly as far as noise figures and other specs go. Having said that though, my system is absolutely brilliant at reproducing anything I can throw at it. I would also invite an "Audiophile" to compare any system with it and say it "sounds" better. At the end of the day you could purchase a $100,000 speaker system that is flat accross the spectrum or you could spend a few thousand dollars and put some eq on it and it would sound at least 99% as good. Pure silver versus copper? Sure, the silver may conduct a little better than copper but the copper is one hundredth the cost. Just use the next size copper cable. I have even done a comparrison on my turntable, yes I still have one, with a $80K marble platter blah blah blah. Sure it was better but not 100 times better. I dont consider myself and audiophile. I am an enthusiast who likes great gear but even if I had bags of cash I dont think I would spend 3-400K on a soundsystem. I know people that have them and they are at best, average. IMHO.

Video on audiophiles.

Thought this video might be interesting.

http://www.rockechoes.com/passionate-audiophiles/

Steve K

I think its the guy who says, " I CAN hear a difference," when given a blind A/B test of the same speakers .

The same guy who's willing to BUY hype and not reality....

Then there are those of us who enjoy listening to music and want to know why what we hear sounds so good.. And on the other side there are those who don't care and just want things to get magically better without knowing why they did..

An audiophile may not like to hear this, but money can never buy them happiness, they are only temporarily content and can never be truely satisfied.

I think we all need to be happier enjoying what we have and be willing to learn what we are striving for rather than just forking out money in the hopes that someone else will tell us.. Just my .02...

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    I dont think I would spend 3-400K on a soundsystem. I know people that have them and they are at best, average. IMHO.
    I could see myself spending that much, but only if I knew why I was buying it, what I was buying it for, and why I needed to spend so much that I couldn't otherwise get elsewhere for less.. That takes enlightenment beyond what I'm capable of understanding.. so I guess maybe I'll never be spending that much afterall .

The moral of the story, money cannot "buy" you the best speaker system for you, only your knowledge as to what your really seeking can...

true audiophile

there are very few of us. we are here, and we know who we are......

how many people in this world thrown on some music, and listen to the system, analyze the system, are compelled to listen to the system, and strive to improve the system....

those people are the audiophiles.
    Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    It's someone who enjoys this hobby. ...... . Like any hobby there are extremes but it doesn't change the core fact that we all enjoy this stuff.

Rob
    I totally agree.

Also, anyone who has dedicated an entire room of their home to their stereo system, must certainly be an audiophile.

Tube / Solid State or Vinyl / Digital === we are all in it for the love of 'that sound' whatever that means to us as individuals.
    Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector View Post
    there are very few of us. we are here, and we know who we are......

how many people in this world thrown on some music, and listen to the system, analyze the system, are compelled to listen to the system, and strive to improve the system....

those people are the audiophiles.

Wouldn't that be a systemphile?

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    It's someone who enjoys this hobby. That's the way I look at it. As I see it any long term member here is one. What the internet and some of the snobazines have done to the meaning really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. Like any hobby there are extremes but it doesn't change the core fact that we all enjoy this stuff.
    Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector View Post
    I totally agree.
    Also, anyone who has dedicated an entire room of their home to their stereo system, must certainly be an audiophile.
    Tube / Solid State or Vinyl / Digital === we are all in it for the love of 'that sound' whatever that means to us as individuals.
    I also agree. If you love vintage speakers for their particular sound or the most exotic boutique devices from the rarified brands advertised and glowingly reviewed in the audio rags, I think you are an audiophile. Audiophile also includes the kid with an iPod and boombox but wishes he had a "better" system. As Dome points out it is about your enthusiasm or emotional commitment to sound.

Of course there is also the politics of audio... where some feel you must have tubed or class A solid state electronics and expensive speakers to be an audiophile... and those who disdain all that is expensive and feel it is all an evil con.

As Rob said, it is a hobby. If all you can afford is a pair of old Advents and a vintage receiver or you have the latest mega dollar system... it isn't the gear that makes you an audiophile or not, it is your passion and the joy you get from this stuff.

Which speakers from JBL are "Audiophile?" I guess that depends on who is listening to them... some might love their EONs and others their 250Tis...

Widget

There is much to like and something to dislike for almost everyone in this article. Apologies if it has already been referenced.
    http://www.stereotimes.com/comm011602.shtml

This one from the same site may not add much, but it is fun: http://www.stereotimes.com/comm021802.shtml

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Which speakers from JBL are "Audiophile?"
    I've always considered JBL a breed apart. I don't recall ever connecting JBL with "Audiophile", quite the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    There is much to like and something to dislike for almost everyone in this article.
    I'm definitely not an "Audiophile". Thanks for the link.

Audiophile is a term used by the ones with the "gifted ear" And people associated with the gifted ear will typically think their keen sence of hearing makes their sound system knowledge superior. Which quite frankly as far as I am concerned doesn't exist. If you just love sound this term shouldn't apply to you at all.

Never listen to what someone else says about a system.. Your ear is always the best judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Thought this video might be interesting.

http://www.rockechoes.com/passionate-audiophiles/

Steve K

If incoming AC Power is 50% and the equipment rack is 30% of the music, that only leaves 20% for the source material, equipment, and environment.

Priceless.

Thread Information