Thread: Vintage JBL / Altec Ads

Vintage JBL / Altec Ads

For the groups' perusal...

I took the time to sort through some old electronics hobbyist magazines last weekend and came across a few interesting ads. Many of the magazines were from early to late 1950's. A few of the ads are presented here for interested members of the group.

(hmmmm is that happy camper in the picture Keith of Kickwood?)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    You'll never hear me use the term "musical", sweet" or "warm" to describe equipment sonics.

MY 2 cents

I also have many ads but I have a few posters,IM sure youve seen the "are those my JBL's",the rarer ones like-2 for stereo is 2'X3' and do it yourself is a little smaller both I got from a local JBL dealer that is now long gone and they are still in the shipping tubes.sorry about the size but I didnt want to take up too much space.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

00Robin
    I LOVE all the old ads. I remember when I got my first set of Altecs in the cabinets I still have and use with the "newer" old Altecs in them now. The evil step-father-in-law I got them from explained how they were popular kits to DIY back in the late 50's. He built them himself. I almost did not believe him because being only 18 at the time (late 70's) I had no conception of the whole build your own stereo dreams at home idea. It was buy a big ole Sony system then. Boy was I the fool. Until I HEARD them and married his step son and "somehow" I wangled the speakers and cabinets and the receiver because no one really paid any attention to them but ME! HA! Me still have and love them more and more and more.....The second set I bought has the original folder of paperwork but its not quite what I'm after,its what someone who knows what is about can use.
    I LOVE the old diagrams,the cabinet building diagrams,all of it! I just wish I knew what all the things were in there and what they are all about. Anyone know the real book on them? One thats readable? I can replace them and hook them up properly,but I want to KNOW what all that stuff is and what its for. Not just be able to wing it.

Quote Originally Posted by jblwolf View Post
    I also have many ads but I have a few posters,IM sure youve seen the "are those my JBL's",the rarer ones like-2 for stereo is 2'X3' and do it yourself is a little smaller both I got from a local JBL dealer that is now long gone and they are still in the shipping tubes.sorry about the size but I didnt want to take up too much space.
    Thanks for sharing yours Wolf...
    You'll never hear me use the term "musical", sweet" or "warm" to describe equipment sonics.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Robin View Post
    I LOVE all the old ads. I remember when I got my first set of Altecs in the cabinets I still have and use with the "newer" old Altecs in them now. The evil step-father-in-law I got them from explained how they were popular kits to DIY back in the late 50's. He built them himself. I almost did not believe him because being only 18 at the time (late 70's) I had no conception of the whole build your own stereo dreams at home idea. It was buy a big ole Sony system then. Boy was I the fool. Until I HEARD them and married his step son and "somehow" I wangled the speakers and cabinets and the receiver because no one really paid any attention to them but ME! HA! Me still have and love them more and more and more.....The second set I bought has the original folder of paperwork but its not quite what I'm after,its what someone who knows what is about can use.
    I LOVE the old diagrams,the cabinet building diagrams,all of it! I just wish I knew what all the things were in there and what they are all about. Anyone know the real book on them? One thats readable? I can replace them and hook them up properly,but I want to KNOW what all that stuff is and what its for. Not just be able to wing it.

Hi Robin, glad to hear you are also a fan of audio ephemera. Are you asking if there is a book available on DIY Hi-Fi loudspeakers?

00Robin
    Quote Originally Posted by ARRAY View Post
    Hi Robin, glad to hear you are also a fan of audio ephemera. Are you asking if there is a book available on DIY Hi-Fi loudspeakers?
    Actually,yes. I have a rather long way of saying alot of stuff but never getting to the point.
    Yes,I would like to know about books available for DIY AND how they work and what all the things are for. I can replace the speakers correctly and wire them as I did do once,but I want to UNDERSTAND it all. All of it.
    Could you direct me? I would be forever very pleased for the help.
    Last edited by 00Robin; 09-03-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add a bit more.

Thread Information