Thread: Using an L-112 as a center on its side. Where is the center sound axis?

Using an L-112 as a center on its side. Where is the center sound axis?

So if I flip one on its side how should I align it with the center of my screen? The low crossover is 1100Hz which pretty much covers human voice dialog but the high end typically locates the speaker sonically. So should I locate the center of the low driver to the center of my screen, center the speaker box or put the tweeter there?

It's important now since I am designing a custom TV stand to accommodate an L-112 center.

Confused and without a clue.

Thanks!

Cabinet design

Hi
    If you are about to design a new cabinet why not design it so the L112 sits as it should,that should be your designer challenge.
    For that matter why not throw a few designs on here
    Michael

When I had my pair of L112's, I used both of them for the center channel wired in parallel, with the tweeters in the center. Man, that was years ago, back when I was running a pair of Maggie MGLR-1's and my twin DIY dual 15" dipole subs!

Not that any of this helps you... I would just place it under your screen the way you want, and adjust its placement accordingly until it sounds right to you.

Can you lay the system out roughly in position & try it for a few days/movies? I'm in a similar position (with 5 L46s for the surround system), but it looks like both my temp setup and permanent design can have them live vertically. If I have to go horizontal (like if I have to stack over the sub, for instance), I'll be in the same boat that you're in.

My temp setup will just be an 8' x 18" board bridging between two 4333As, with L46s left, between and right of the bigger speakers. TV centers above, with components to the sides of the TV. Sub will sit off to the side for now.

My next step is working out grille material that makes the wife happy most days, but can be swiftly removed when in use. I'm thinking caning, like this Restoration Hardware piece. Mine will be similar, but about 120" wide with 5 caned sections, L/sub/C/components/R along the bottom and 4333A/TV/4333A simply sitting open across the top.

We'll see- good luck.

je
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well I found out my opening for the monitor, gear and speakers was not as wide as I had hoped. I will likely just have room for the center no components.

And the monitor I am getting has a built in base so if I stand the L112 up the monitor will be too high for the horizontal viewing angle. The Century II has to go sideways.

My guess is that the center of the speaker, even on its side, is going to be pretty good.

I will report back in a few weeks when it gets put in.

And I am using two L-46s for the rears. They should be a good match for the L112s.

majick47

L112 Center Speaker

I'v done some experimenting and ended up with a L100 sitting centered horizontal angeled slightly downward on top of a 53" Pioneer widescreen. Flanking the Pioneer are L300 with two pairs of 4301b for the side and rear channels. The 4301b are on JBL pro mounts on the wall (rear)/on beams (side) about 7' high. The Pioneer cabinet really limits the center channel speaker for me to something the size of a L100 etc. All in all it's worked out pretty well with acceptable results but I realize far from perfect.

Thread Information