Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marantz Reciever troubleshooting

dgorshe

Marantz Reciever troubleshooting

I have a Marantz 2220b reciever and i am wondering what steps i should take to trouleshoot the problem of having it light up but not having any sound. Are there any common things that go out in these recievers? Thanks for the help, Dave

jbl
    hi dgorshe
    The following steps may be of help assuming that you have connected speakers to the amp and that the speaker selector switch(s) are pressed in and that a source is connected to the reciever. Or tune in a FM or AM station.
    1-Select a source on the source selector.
    2-Make sure that the tape monitor switch(s) are in the "source" position. (OUT)
    3-Turn up the volume-any sound at all? Either channel?

If not: Turn the power off. Wait about 10 seconds, then power up agian. Get close to the reciever and listen for a click-not from the speakers, from the reciever itself. If you hear a click, you can assume that the power supply is o.k. for that circuit. This does'nt eliminate the power supply, but it will do for now.
    Put the speakers close to the reciever. What you will do now is to power up the reciever while listening to the speaker(s) -with the volume off. In about 3-5 seconds you should hear a slight click from the speakers. Try this with both speakers- If you don't, plug-in a pair of headphones to the headphone jack and play the source. If you still have no sound with headphones you at least now know that the output transistors are not the problem or the only problem.
    P.S. Are the speakers working? If there is a high amount of DC at the speaker outputs (from the Marantz 2220) the speaker will be destroyed. If you have a DMM, measure the dc at the speaker outputs. Normal dc should be about 50mV or less. Leave the set on for about 3 minutes for the circuits to stableize before measuring. If you get an overrange on the meter, measure voltage. If you can get a load resistor, use it instead of the speakers.

Keep me posted,
    jbl

jbl
    Hi dgorshe,
    After you try these tests, the only common possibility would be the transformer and the power supply if both channels are out. You would have to check both the positive and negative voltages from the power supply to see if both are present or if one or both are missing. This would be dc voltages of appx. 20 to 40 volts.The positive voltage must be equal to the negative voltage, with the exception of their polarity. If one is higher than the other, the regulator transistors in the power supply may be defective.The transformer can be checked for ac voltage before the power supply. You know that the secondary is good because the dial lights.This reciever uses a single power supply so the problem would be common to both channels. The transistors for the voltage regulators have numbers on them which can be easily cross referenced. Try my first recomendations first and then we'll try the power supply.

jbl

dgorshe
    thanks for the info i think im goin to try the troubleshooting starting tommorow. Ill let you know what i find

thevott
    Although I do not have a 2220B, I do have a few other models and they all require
    jumpers between the preamp and poweramp sections. The preamp outs and poweramp ins are simply RCA jacks on the rear panel. If there are no jumpers present on your unit just use a standard patch cord. Another thing to check is the monaural, tape monitor and speaker buttons. These sometimes fail (causing no sound) and require fiddling with, cleaning or sometimes replacement.
    I have scratched my head several times over these silly issues! Good luck with it.

MP

Marantz problems

Originally posted by dgorshe
    thanks for the info i think im goin to try the troubleshooting starting tommorow. Ill let you know what i find
    Hi dgorshe,

If you need any assistance with schematic diagrams...let me know.
    I can sent you a pdf by mail.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

dgorshe
    thanks for the help guys, and yeh i would like to see that schematic too, my email is [email protected] thanks again.

Schematic

Originally posted by dgorshe
    thanks for the help guys, and yeh i would like to see that schematic too, my email is [email protected] thanks again.
    Hi Dave,

please take a look in your mailbox. You will find the schematic diagram.

If anyone needs schematics or service manuals for Marantz, McIntosh or Sony...please ask me...I have a small collection.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Schematic

Originally posted by Hofmannhp
    Hi Dave,

please take a look in your mailbox. You will find the schematic diagram.

If anyone needs schematics or service manuals for Marantz, McIntosh or Sony...please ask me...I have a small collection.

HP
    Hi Dave,

whats with your mail adress, mail's coming back.....mailer daemon

HP

dgorshe
    that should be it but try and send it to [email protected]

edcube

Marantz 2220 Schematic Diagram

Hi Hofmannhp,

I am glad to know you have schematics diagrams. If you have diagrams
    for Marantz 2220, please send me pdf copy to [email protected]
    Thanks for the help, edcube

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmannhp
    Hi dgorshe,

If you need any assistance with schematic diagrams...let me know.
    I can sent you a pdf by mail.

HP

SENT

Quote Originally Posted by edcube
    Hi Hofmannhp,

I am glad to know you have schematics diagrams. If you have diagrams
    for Marantz 2220, please send me pdf copy to [email protected]
    Thanks for the help, edcube
    Hi edcube,
    pls look for your mailbox....

HP

brakeman21

marants 2220B schematics

i could greatly use a copy of the schematics for this unit , bought on for a dollar at a church sale just need to get it in tip top shape to enjoy it
    please if you can send me a copy to

[email protected]

tlshen

Marantz 2220 schematic

Hi Hofmannhp,

Could you send me a copy of the Marantz 2220 schematic pdf; to [email protected]. Many Thanks!! tlshen

Marantz 2220

Quote Originally Posted by tlshen View Post
    Hi Hofmannhp,

Could you send me a copy of the Marantz 2220 schematic pdf; to [email protected]. Many Thanks!! tlshen
    Hi brakeman21 and tishen,

please be patient till this evening (CET) then I can help you.

HP

Thread Information